Highway howl - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Highway howl

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 10-27-2013, 12:50 PM   #1
2011WK2overland

Wj Highway howl

Hey guys,
04 limited with 4x4 and the 4.7. At speeds above 65, I get a weird howl, only under acceleration. If I let off the gas, the noise goes away, floor it, goes away. There is no other noise associated with it, no vibration at any speed. I don't remember any locking or chirping at low speeds, no clunk when shifting gear from park to reverse or drive. It only occurs at coasting above 65mph.

I slid under it, no movement on the diff end of the driveshaft. There is a little play on the tcase side tho. I can barely move it left right up down. Would that cause the howl?

What I've found online indicate a bad pinion bearing? But there's no growling or grinding, and no movement on the diff end of the dshaft.

This isn't my jeep, but best mimics the noise and when it occurs.

YouTube (Short URL)
?start=" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

In the description he has the broken spider gears vid where he believes the problem was....

Is this where I should focus first when I put it up ?

2011WK2overland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2013, 05:23 PM   #2
Duh

Can you drive it on jackstands and pinpoint the source that way?
Duh is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.