Highs and Fogs at the same time - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Highs and Fogs at the same time

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-23-2011, 08:43 PM   #1
sandfreestyle
2004 WJ 

Highs and Fogs at the same time

Is there a way to get the high beams and fog lights working at the same time. Right now when the headlights and fogs are on, when you hit the highs the fogs turn off while the highs are on then back on when the highs are off. I want to get it to where the fogs work while the highs are on.

04 WJ V8 HO, 545rfe w/ shift kit, NP231HD w/ SS SYE, TW drive shafts, 4" RCX, 255/75/17 moabs, 55w HID projectors, Cherry Bomb Vortex muffler, Superchips, bored TB, HD Tie rod and Drag Link, IRO Steering Equalizer, Dual steering stabalizers, Homemade Sliders, 4 Hella FF75 55w HID Light bar...

“The corpse’s crimson bitter tears flow and mingle through the endless sand feeding the chaos in me and making me stronger”
sandfreestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2011, 09:01 PM   #2
tbone1004
2004 WJ 

just out of curiosity why? fogs allow you to see close, and the high beams are for longer distances. Rather hard to look at both...
some states forbid using fog lights in non fog conditions. TX being one of them. All states forbid using fog lights with high beams on as it's stupid bright in oncoming traffic. I guess if it's offroading only you can hack it to stay on, and drb3 may be able to control it. I know the bullydog programmer I have on my F350 will allow me to run both, but my superchips doesn't have that option. I have HID's and projectors on mine, but I still run with fogs only if I'm driving in the rain or whatever during the day. It's safer for oncoming traffic because the HID's are wicked bright. It allows them to see me coming which is what matters. No headlights will really increase your visibility in those conditions because the rain is the limiting factor, not the light, so as long as they can see me, that's fine. It also is better than DRL's IMHO because because there is no glare to oncoming traffic.

Sorry for rant. anyway, you can run some relays or something, or patch your fog lights into your headlights. Lose the control over the independence. can also try to bribe a dealer to change the country code, which may allow the option.
tbone1004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2011, 09:12 PM   #3
sandfreestyle
2004 WJ 

It is for pure offroad purposes. I go mainly to the desert areas with some larger bushes and are mainly sand terain. The ability to see a coyote or whoops at a greater distance would help in slowing down without locking the breaks and sliding in the sand.

I have 50w HID with projectors but the cut off line prohibits the use of real long range light without using the highs. I could get the reflection of an animals eyes but not much else.
04 WJ V8 HO, 545rfe w/ shift kit, NP231HD w/ SS SYE, TW drive shafts, 4" RCX, 255/75/17 moabs, 55w HID projectors, Cherry Bomb Vortex muffler, Superchips, bored TB, HD Tie rod and Drag Link, IRO Steering Equalizer, Dual steering stabalizers, Homemade Sliders, 4 Hella FF75 55w HID Light bar...

“The corpse’s crimson bitter tears flow and mingle through the endless sand feeding the chaos in me and making me stronger”
Unread 09-23-2011, 11:33 PM   #4
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

On the WJs it is much harder to do because everything is controlled through the body control module but if you were to... say, jumper the coil ground for the fog lamp relay to a switched ground you could achieve manual control over the fog lights. With switch off theyd function normally then with switch on and key on they'd be on no matter what. Thats the best I could think of doing given the computerized nature of the WJ

Unlike previous versions of Jeeps where the high beam fog cutout could be easily bypassed by jumpering a wire in the PDC... the BCM on the WJ makes it a little more involved. Nothing basic electrical skills couldnt fix though

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2011, 11:36 PM   #5
4Tom
2001 WJ 

It is possible as there was a thread a while back about using a coin to just turn on high-beam while fogs where on.

I recommend you fit a illuminated switch in cab and used a rely to turn on fog independently of jeeps fog lights circuit so when you return to road you can revert back to normal operation.

But if your going to this much bother spot lamps might be better as fog lights don't send out the light very far.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Tom
4Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2011, 01:14 AM   #6
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfreestyle View Post
It is for pure offroad purposes. I go mainly to the desert areas with some larger bushes and are mainly sand terain. The ability to see a coyote or whoops at a greater distance would help in slowing down without locking the breaks and sliding in the sand.

I have 50w HID with projectors but the cut off line prohibits the use of real long range light without using the highs. I could get the reflection of an animals eyes but not much else.
Then add offroad lights. The OEM fog lamps aren't any good for offroad, and for the work you're likely to have to do, you'll find it easier to install a kit of proper lighting anyhow.
Unread 09-24-2011, 07:53 AM   #7
sandfreestyle
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-90 View Post
Then add offroad lights. The OEM fog lamps aren't any good for offroad, and for the work you're likely to have to do, you'll find it easier to install a kit of proper lighting anyhow.
I'm finding that maybe the easier solution.

Unread 09-24-2011, 08:23 AM   #8
tbone1004
2004 WJ 

it'll be a whole lot easier and a lot less potential problems if you have an a$$hole cop and you're driving home on a long night. Either way, adding a couple of lights is going to be a lot easier and will work a lot better for you than trying to hack the fog lights
tbone1004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 12:37 AM   #9
modest80884
2002 WJ 

I agree. Go with some extra lights. Depending on how you wire, or how the harnesses you buy are, you can run them completely separate from the rest of your lights.
modest80884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 12:48 PM   #10
Gunnison
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfreestyle View Post
Is there a way to get the high beams and fog lights working at the same time. Right now when the headlights and fogs are on, when you hit the highs the fogs turn off while the highs are on then back on when the highs are off. I want to get it to where the fogs work while the highs are on.
I want to to do the same mode. If any one out there has done this please advise.

Previous Jeeps: 57 Willys, 74 J-10, 76 J-20, 80 CJ7, 91 XJ, 97 ZJ, 97 TJ, 00 TJ, 06 LJ Rubicon, 2010 JK Rubicon 4dr.
Gunnison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 04:46 PM   #11
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Add a pair of WARN wireless offroad lights in the front and convert to HID. Much better than fogs, and/or do a proper retrofit of your headlights to a quad bi-xenon setup. You'll have much better output either way than trying to circumvent the fog lights.

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 07:04 PM   #12
Gunnison
2002 WJ 

Ok I think all but one of the responses is missing the point. Lets forget about the legalities of fog lights on with high beams and forget about how much light an OEM or aftermarket fog light throws. The original poster has asked about if anyone has a modification that will allow running the OEM light switch with the high beams. This is a pretty common request by folks wanting to maximizer their light output.

For me, I have an aftermarket winch bumper in place of the factory bumper and fog lights. I have purchased a $200 set of LED driving lights and installed them in the new bumper (no more OEM fogs). Although the new lights came with a nifty little switch and wire kit, I would like the simplicity and clean installation of using the factory fog lamp switch on the turn signal stalk and factory wiring but want to be able to run them in both low and high beam. I have done this modification to several of my rigs in the past by fooling the OEM system into not turning off the aux lights while in high beam. In the past I simply Googled and found people who are smarter than me with auto electronics that have found and shared how to do it.

I want to do the same with the Grand but haven't found the instructions on how to do it.

Previous Jeeps: 57 Willys, 74 J-10, 76 J-20, 80 CJ7, 91 XJ, 97 ZJ, 97 TJ, 00 TJ, 06 LJ Rubicon, 2010 JK Rubicon 4dr.
Gunnison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 07:33 PM   #13
lazyWJ
2002 WJ 

I love the "why do you want to do that" that comes up with some of these questions. Nobody asks why you want a 4.5" lift, why you want to change the color of your interior lighting, why you want to take the doors off your Wj, or paint the body with bedliner etc. Wanting your fogs and highs on at once is somehow above and beyond. It's useless, redundant, madness, and even a safety issue. Wow.
I want them on because I ****ing want them on.
"Bought, Not Built"
lazyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 07:56 PM   #14
MeanGreenZJ
Web Wheeler

Have the dealer change the BCM country code from US or Canada to Europe. That's all it takes, works on 96+ ZJ and WJ.

MeanGreenZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 11:54 PM   #15
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanGreenZJ View Post
Have the dealer change the BCM country code from US or Canada to Europe. That's all it takes, works on 96+ ZJ and WJ.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js0gqk4j0X0
Yes thats all it would take. On on Euro models like mine fog lights will work regardless of whether Im on side lights, low beam or high beam.....

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using JeepForum

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.