High Mileage Points of interest - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > High Mileage Points of interest

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 01-16-2011, 12:05 PM   #1
jjfrieze
2000 WJ 

High Mileage Points of interest

I have a 2000 Grand cherokee 4.7 with 205k on the clock. I try and change the oil around 3-4k intervals.

Since I got so many miles on it what or where would be a good idea to check for some preventive maintenance?

How good or bad is seafoam?
I've used it before in the gas and oil on a couple cars I've owned but i'm a bit uneasy using it because i'm afraid it'll blow a gasket or something. I've noticed on those cars, they've started smoking like crazy shortly after I've treated the oil and changed it. Was it because it was still trying to clean the system after I've changed the oil? or did it seep through the gaskets???

Any input would be great. I'm more of a weekend mechanic.. I know enough to keep my vehicles running and appreciate any information

-Justin

jjfrieze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2011, 12:12 PM   #2
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Seafoam is great. Hit up their website and follow their video directions and you'll be good to go with it.

When was the last time plugs were changed? How about Trans fluid? It's good to stay on top of everything to keep these things running right.

PS-got any pics/details of the carputer you mention in your profile?

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2011, 12:42 PM   #3
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Follow the service interval "B" on wjjeeps and you will get a very long life. If you don't know the last time a fluid was changed, it is time now!

http://www.wjjeeps.com/service/maintenance_wj.htm

The easy DIY jobs are diffs, transfer case, tune-up (spark plugs and air filter), power steering fluid, coolant. Transmission fluid is a pretty messy job and I personally prefer to pay someone else to do that.

Other things you can do: clean the throttle body and IAC valve with throttle body cleaner, change the fuel filter/fuel pressure regulator, run some fuel injector cleaner (I like the Techron for 20gal tanks). I have never had good luck with seafoam in the fuel or oil, but great results when pouring it/spraying it into the throttle. If your engine is dirty inside, consider an engine flush product or you can add 1 quart of ATF to the oil, drive 100 miles and then do an oil change.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2011, 01:58 PM   #4
jjfrieze
2000 WJ 

This weekend I'm planning on doing a good change.. Oil, Air filter, and plugs. I've had good results with Boche Plat. 2's... I wanted to get a good idea of what else to have a look at.

I havent done anything with the Trans. though, I do need to check levels. I was thinking I should do a flush or drain and re-fill, but a buddy of mine said since it had so many miles it might actually do more bad than good.

The carputer isn't in the jeep anymore but i got a few snaps of the dash.. none of it completely finished. I took it out shortly after i made a new trim piece for the whole center console, someone smashed my screen.
album: http://albums.mo-power.net/index.php?get=albums&id=167
Moved the H/AC controls down:

jjfrieze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2011, 02:21 PM   #5
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Jeeps tend to like Champion (OE) plugs best. Platinums don't seem to do the trick. The Champion Truck Plugs are very good and should be about $3 each. They have thicker electrodes and insulators to last longer under high-vibration high-heat environments.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2011, 09:47 AM   #6
barns12
2006 XK Commander 

Just a note: Be careful using engine flushes and ATF on an older engine. If there is any sludge in the engine and the flush breaks it loose, it will clog the oil pickup screen/tube and you will not get proper lubrication if any. Sometimes it is best to just continue with changing the oil regularly. Your Jeep seems to like it so far.
barns12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2011, 11:13 AM   #7
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Same vehicle here 125K miles. Congrats on yours!

+1 for the cleaning the throttle body & IAC vlve. 2 bolts to take off the air intake, 3 bolts take off the throttle body, 2 electrical connectors to remove, one vacuum hose.

Unbolt the IAC valve body with a torx head bit. Disconnect the 2 throttle cables. Remove & clean. Clean back of throttle body, butterfly valve & all passages. I use brake parts cleaner but something a little less volitaile is good too like carb cleaner.

I just did the plugs (Champions went back in, gap to .040) & the TB cleanout this weekend. Let me know if you have questions....

You might dump & refresh the antifreeze, brake fluid and do a drain/refill of the tranny, front/rear diff if you don't know when it was last done.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2011, 11:19 AM   #8
elsapo
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
Jeeps tend to like Champion (OE) plugs best. Platinums don't seem to do the trick. The Champion Truck Plugs are very good and should be about $3 each. They have thicker electrodes and insulators to last longer under high-vibration high-heat environments.
they are out of production unfortunately. I did stick in some Bosch Platnium ir plugs and so far so good. but I think the NGK's are a better bet though and cheaper.
elsapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2011, 12:55 PM   #9
ARFuniN
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsapo View Post
they are out of production unfortunately. I did stick in some Bosch Platnium ir plugs and so far so good. but I think the NGK's are a better bet though and cheaper.
Check http://www.jeep4x4center.com/product...ber=SPRC12MCC4

Out of production...could be...out of stock...I do not hear her singing yet!
ARFuniN is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.