Hids - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Hids

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 08-18-2014, 11:02 AM   #16
Ben_dover4dover
I like to smell tires

2004 WJ 

It'd be nice if all the HID kits were ugly as ****.

Last edited by ezflip; 08-18-2014 at 11:20 AM.. Reason: Let the language censor do its job.
Ben_dover4dover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2014, 11:15 AM   #17
JRobes
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrboarder27 View Post
Hids are not irresponsible when done right, but it is hard to do for under a hundred bucks. It's the punks that purposely do it the wrong way that are really responsible. As for being illegal yes that's true but anyone can easily argue that the proper hid installation with correct cut off pattern are safer than many stock halogen setups. I can see way better with my HID headlights then the a****** with 15 pairs off road lights
if someone had "15 pairs of offroad lights" they'd also be illegal on road...
Pearl Black 2004 Overland - OME HD springs, Bilstein 5100 shocks, JKS Quick Disco's, JKS Track Bar, IRO Rear Sway Bar Links, Moog TRE's, K&N filter, Audio Aux Input, 10th Anniv. 2013 Rubi Rims, 32.1" BFG KM's, removable rear seat mod
JRobes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2014, 11:23 AM   #18
Jrboarder27
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRobes View Post

if someone had "15 pairs of offroad lights" they'd also be illegal on road...
Yes I agree but there is a lesser of the two evils, and ive also had a cop compliment on my Hids
Jrboarder27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2014, 11:42 AM   #19
mfutral504
2004 WJ 

Sorry for the confusion. I have hids with ballasts in my high beams. I'm using hids temporarily for mainly off-road use. When I get a brush guard with kc lights, I'm putting my stock headlights back in the highs and gettin hids for the lows.
mfutral504 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2014, 11:58 AM   #20
BrianBSHS
2004 WJ 

LOL ddmtuning, HID kits for 35 bucks. Ran 55w 5000k in projectors for over 6 years from ddm and they never had an issue. If you spent over $100 on your HIDs you suck at google.
BrianBSHS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2014, 11:59 AM   #21
jbaldry
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBSHS View Post
LOL ddmtuning, HID kits for 35 bucks. Ran 55w 5000k in projectors for over 6 years from ddm and they never had an issue. If you spent over $100 on your HIDs you suck at google.
Or you bought better and brighter bulbs and Ballasts.
Unread 08-18-2014, 12:29 PM   #22
BrianBSHS
2004 WJ 

You'll be blind if you looked in them either way. OP was looking for a cheap set, DDM has a cheap set. Lifetime warranty on bulbs and ballasts..
Unread 08-18-2014, 12:32 PM   #23
Jrboarder27
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBSHS View Post
So how much for projectors how bought a proper harness how much for shipping?
Jrboarder27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2014, 12:38 PM   #24
BrianBSHS
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrboarder27 View Post
So how much for projectors how bought a proper harness how much for shipping? And for the record I got mine from ddm add well
I got the V3 spyder housings for ~$140 like 6-7 years ago now. HIDs I spent $80 on if I'm not mistaking. I got the extra harness because I wasn't sure if I needed it so I got it to be safe (didn't need it). About 6 months in one bulb started to not turn on and I'd have to fire it a couple of times to get it to turn on. So I wired in the harness and put it on it's own harness with direct power from the battery and then found out it was the bulbs lol. Messaged DDM and they sent me a new pair no problem. Never had an issue after that.
Unread 08-18-2014, 04:05 PM   #25
tuglife
2004 WJ 

The retrofit source has mini H1 projectors for like $60-70.
Used set of stock headlights - free with purchase of WJ.
DDM HID kit with bulbs and ballast - $50.
9006 Mopar specific harness - $30(debatable if even necessary).
Oven to bake open headlights - free with not being homeless.

Really no excuse for not retrofitting. It looks better than the plain stock headlights and eBay Chinese projectors made for halogen bulbs both in daylight and at night. You get immensely better lighting and visibility than stock, eBay, or illegal HIDs in stock housings. It's not illegal(not DOT approved but passes inspections) like HIDs in stock housings. And you don't blind oncoming drivers.

If it still seems too hard have your wife or a ladyfriend show you how an oven works.
4.7 HO V8, K&N FIPK, Old Man Emu HD Springs, Bilstien 5100, 31" 255/70/17 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2, Black JK Moabs, Overland Rock Sliders, Tow Hooks, Westin Brush Guard, GTP Hood Vents, Mopar iPod Integration Kit
tuglife is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2014, 05:27 AM   #26
Hierotochan
2001 WJ 

Anyone seen/used something like this?: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231141741277
Seems like a fairly cheap mod; 6000k 35w HID kit to replace your high-beams. Also has 'E' & 'TUV' mark, so road legal in Europe(?).
Hierotochan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2014, 06:14 AM   #27
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hierotochan View Post
Anyone seen/used something like this?: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231141741277
Seems like a fairly cheap mod; 6000k 35w HID kit to replace your high-beams. Also has 'E' & 'TUV' mark, so road legal in Europe(?).
That would only be legal in UK/Europe if you fitted it with projector lights and headlamp wash system......or you will be pulled up by the plod and you will not pass the MOT. The E and TUV marks mean the bulbs have been made to the correct standard.....you still have to fit them correctly to comply with the law.....so thats most def not in std headlamps. Also stick below 5000k for best light.

The headlamp wash part was added to the MOT recently as the HID lights are so bright that even dirt on the headlamp lens will deflect the light enough to dazzle other drivers.....notice that all recent cars with factory HID have headlamp wash.
Unread 08-19-2014, 07:14 AM   #28
Hierotochan
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaitalia View Post
That would only be legal in UK/Europe if you fitted it with projector lights and headlamp wash system......or you will be pulled up by the plod and you will not pass the MOT. The E and TUV marks mean the bulbs have been made to the correct standard.....you still have to fit them correctly to comply with the law.....so thats most def not in std headlamps. Also stick below 5000k for best light.

The headlamp wash part was added to the MOT recently as the HID lights are so bright that even dirt on the headlamp lens will deflect the light enough to dazzle other drivers.....notice that all recent cars with factory HID have headlamp wash.
Again, this is why I'm really enjoying this forum: Proper knowledge & concise explanations. Thanks.

Can't see myself fitting tiny wipers to my car!
Hierotochan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2014, 09:19 AM   #29
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Me neither but it would not be impossible to fit those high pressure jets you see on some new cars....and they are perfectly acceptable for the test.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.