Hids - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Hids

Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O2" Lift Kits for JK, TJ, XJ, WJ~$125.00 w/free shippi

Unread 08-14-2014, 03:33 AM   #1
mfutral504
2004 WJ 

Hids

I'm buying some hids for my blue 04 wj. But I can't decide which brand to get. Need some feedback from owners who have some and what they think is best. I'm getting 6k 55 watt. Looking to stay under the $100 price range

mfutral504 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2014, 04:39 AM   #2
ItsAJeeper

my suggestion...buy no HIDs. im going to take a pretty loose stab in the dark here and say your brilliant (pun intended) idea is to throw a set of 55w hids in your stock headlights, under the impression the stock headlights suck and need more light. there are two problems with this thinking...apart from being dangerous to other drivers and glaringly outright illegal in every country and state on the earth.

1. your stock headlights are designed around a halogen bulb. HIDs and halogen put light out in different areas, so your stock headlights are going to have no chance of gathering and projecting the scattered light of a high output HID. this is where projector headlights and retrofits come into place. they are specifically designed to harness, direct and prevent glare into oncoming traffic, with a very distinct cutoff.
now, i dont know how much research you have done into WJ headlights, but there are aftermarket housings available with projectors built in. buuuuuuut, these are also only designed for halogens as well.
if you want the best possible light output available, your only option is do what is called a retrofit. there is whole HID projector units available which simply bolt into your existing headlight bulbs hole, and voila, instant perfectly focused HID projector. small detail, you will need to open your factory headlights.

2. Light output is reduced every kelvin over 4300k. that blue light that seems super cool is actually making your visibility worse. The blue tinge you see on high end euro headlights dosent come from the bulb, they are usually around 4000k, but actually from the optics of the projector lense.

obviously you dont need to listen to me, but a 55w headlight puts out a helluva lot of light and if the glare coming from your headlight is the cause of an accident...i will leeave it at that.
ItsAJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2014, 04:42 AM   #3
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Obviously you are not planning to put them in standard housings and blind other road users as that would irresponsible (as well as, quite rightly being illegal in lots of places) and get you lots of flaming and abuse on here .....something that has never happened on here before...NOT!
Do a search on here and you will find many threads on the subject....most of which have ended in massive arguments between the sensible majority who want to do it right (so that's projector headlights and not factory houses) and the morons (feel free to swap this word to your own style of abuse!) who think it's ok to used non hid housings and dazzle others and end up with lights that, although brighter, have a rubbish spread of light and you can actually often see less than with stock lights.
If you already have projector headlights (hid projectors preferably but halogen ones are better than none at all) then you will be able to do it for your budget but not of you need housing as well. Also personally I see no gain in going above 4500k.
Others will now be along with the opposing (and obviously incorrect view!) and this whole thread will descend into chaos!
My advice? Read all the other threads and close this one before it happens! Haa haa!

EDIT....I SHOULD HAVE TYPED FASTER! BEAT ME TO IT!
Unread 08-14-2014, 06:45 AM   #4
ezflip
NEWS FLASH It snows in MI

2002 WJ 

There will be no such flaming or arguing...someone is watching...

OP: While it is not explicitly illegal everywhere, it is still a terrible idea and a danger to other drivers to put HIDS in your stock housings. Your post did not mention if that was your plan or if you already have projectors.

That being said, lets move the thread forward as if the OP has done his research and will be using projectors.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

WJ CHRISTMAS THEMED GIVEAWAY!
ezflip is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2014, 08:21 AM   #5
JohnnyV
2002 WJ 

Don't think you'll be able to stay below $100. I purchased a set on eBay for $178 a little over a year ago... search for "4300K XENON WHITE HID KIT + 99-04 GRAND CHEROKEE BLACK HALO PROJECTOR HEADLIGHTS" I'm very pleased with it for sure.... the light beam is straight and throws far. At night the human eye is more sensitive to lower kelvin temperature light, so stick with 4300Kelvin bulbs nothing higher!

I believe the above lights are 35W. At first I thought they were going to be really dim but in all honesty they are bright, safe and I can't see using a higher wattage bulb.
JohnnyV is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2014, 01:58 PM   #6
jbaldry
2000 WJ 

Also, you understand that 6k is blue right? Like REALLY blue. You want blue headlights?
Unread 08-14-2014, 06:08 PM   #7
tuglife
2004 WJ 

Ruh roh.
4.7 HO V8, K&N FIPK, Old Man Emu HD Springs, Bilstien 5100, 31" 255/70/17 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2, Black JK Moabs, Overland Rock Sliders, Tow Hooks, Westin Brush Guard, GTP Hood Vents, Mopar iPod Integration Kit
tuglife is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2014, 10:54 PM   #8
braddf
2001 WJ 

I got mine for less than 100 dollars over a year ago and still look great. And I would stay away from 55, that is overkill imo
Unread 08-15-2014, 09:17 PM   #9
mfutral504
2004 WJ 

I ordered 6k 35 watt xenon hids with ballast. But thanks for the input everyone.
Unread 08-15-2014, 09:29 PM   #10
JohnnyV
2002 WJ 

Oh well! 4300K would have been a safer and better for your night vision and the night vision of on coming drivers.
JohnnyV is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2014, 09:44 PM   #11
Jwhughes3
Badger don't care!

1999 WJ 

The posts that supported that decision must have been deleted.

Good luck.

JW
Jwhughes3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2014, 06:57 PM   #12
mfutral504
2004 WJ 

In a few months I'll be getting my brush guard with kc lights. The hids are just temporary
Unread 08-17-2014, 08:37 PM   #13
tuglife
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfutral504
In a few months I'll be getting my brush guard with kc lights. The hids are just temporary
Those two things are not related.

Not sure what you mean saying the HIDs will only be used till you have offroad lights. HIDs go into specially made projectors in your headlights for street driving and offroad lights on your bumper for, well, offroad use. Will you be using your offroad lights to supplement the week headlights on the street? Hopefully not. Or do you mean your only gonna use the HIDs for offroad use? You putting them in your High beams? What are you gonna use for headlights?

Sorry just confused. HIDs and KC offroad lights are not interchangeable.
4.7 HO V8, K&N FIPK, Old Man Emu HD Springs, Bilstien 5100, 31" 255/70/17 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2, Black JK Moabs, Overland Rock Sliders, Tow Hooks, Westin Brush Guard, GTP Hood Vents, Mopar iPod Integration Kit
tuglife is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2014, 10:06 PM   #14
andygio71
2001 WJ 

Want to stay under 100 bucks? Look into HIR (no that's not a typo) lights. HIDs are irresponsible. HIRs are technically illegal as well, but they won't dazzle other drivers
andygio71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2014, 08:47 AM   #15
Jrboarder27
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andygio71 View Post
Want to stay under 100 bucks? Look into HIR (no that's not a typo) lights. HIDs are irresponsible. HIRs are technically illegal as well, but they won't dazzle other drivers
Hids are not irresponsible when done right, but it is hard to do for under a hundred bucks. It's the punks that purposely do it the wrong way that are really responsible. As for being illegal yes that's true but anyone can easily argue that the proper hid installation with correct cut off pattern are safer than many stock halogen setups. I can see way better with my HID headlights then the a****** with 15 pairs off road lights
Jrboarder27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.