Hi Beams pointing on mountain side - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Hi Beams pointing on mountain side

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 11-10-2013, 07:18 PM   #1
WJ2000
2000 WJ 

Hi Beams pointing on mountain side

Hey just got some new hi beams bulbs, But I noticed that the hi beams
are pointing like 15 degrees high . Lol'' really this is not the way I thank
Hi Beams should be, there shining on the mountain sides an maybe a tenth
of the beam is touching the road way in front of me .

Has anyone ever experienced this too ?
an is there, way to adjust the Hi Beams ?
Just bought the Hella 100w 9005 sx .

2000 WJ 4.0 NEW 4.6 stroker. W/ 4'' Tera Flex Long arm kit, KING 2.5s w/res front,2.5 Kings w/res Rear,Tom wood front drive, 33 x 15s KM2s, Bassett 15'x8 ,fully addjustible Tera flex Track bar, IRO 3link rear, EBC Dippled & sloted front disks, EBC green stuff pads, Iceland off road fender flairs''.
WJ2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2013, 07:51 PM   #2
Jrboarder27
2000 WJ 

Some thing tells me your using the term Mountain a bit loosely.but Mabey that's because I was born and raised in Colorado.

Could just be the entire housings aim is off. Other wise check the back of the housing make sure every thing is tight.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using JeepForum
Jrboarder27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2013, 08:43 PM   #3
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Definitely a possibility. If a bulb isn't sitting inprobably it can cause issues with proper output.

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 09:36 PM   #4
WJ2000
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cykaaro View Post
Definitely a possibility. If a bulb isn't sitting inprobably it can cause issues with proper output.
Well the bulbs are pointing straight, but if you stand back an look straight
at the head light, during the daylight hours '' the reflectors look tilted back .
I don't know how to fix that ? but I'll keep thanking .

Check out this vid .

2000 WJ 4.0 NEW 4.6 stroker. W/ 4'' Tera Flex Long arm kit, KING 2.5s w/res front,2.5 Kings w/res Rear,Tom wood front drive, 33 x 15s KM2s, Bassett 15'x8 ,fully addjustible Tera flex Track bar, IRO 3link rear, EBC Dippled & sloted front disks, EBC green stuff pads, Iceland off road fender flairs''.
WJ2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 09:22 AM   #5
Jrboarder27
2000 WJ 

If all else fails take them apart and see what you find.

Unread 11-12-2013, 09:32 AM   #6
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Did you ever re-aim your headlights after your lift?

If not, it's probably been that way since then, but with the brighter bulbs it's just more noticeable. I'm willing to bet if you properly re-aim them you'll also notice improved visibility out of your low beams as well.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2013, 07:59 AM   #7
Jrboarder27
2000 WJ 

I could be wrong but after looking at My headlight assembly it looks like the low beams are the only beams adjustable.i did however notice that the mounting points the the back of the housing can be adjusted to well. One option might be too adjust the housing with the mounting points and then re aim the low beams

Unread 11-15-2013, 08:24 AM   #8
imaguy3
2004 WJ 

Jrboarder, are they the factory housings? As far as I'm aware the only way to adjust the factory housings is with the elevation screw which tilts the entire house up or down. I don't know of anyway to adjust the beams independently aside from taking apart the housing and doing a custom job.
Unread 11-15-2013, 09:05 AM   #9
Jrboarder27
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaguy3 View Post
Jrboarder, are they the factory housings? As far as I'm aware the only way to adjust the factory housings is with the elevation screw which tilts the entire house up or down. I don't know of anyway to adjust the beams independently aside from taking apart the housing and doing a custom job.
Yes they are factory, I was looking at the reflectors in side the housing and noticed that only the low beam reflectors have a steal rod that looks like another screw. it attaches to the back of the low beam reflector and goes strait back to the aiming assembly but I see nothing on the high beam reflectors. Now if you pull your housing off and look at the back you can see that they attach to the body via three round studs. these studs have threads on them and can be screwed in and out of the housing . My thought is that if these are screwed in and out one by one, they will adjust the direction of the housing.
I can't say that those studs were designed that way but I don't see why it can't be done

Unread 11-15-2013, 10:47 AM   #10
imaguy3
2004 WJ 

Yeah I'm familiar with the housing...

http://wjjeeps.com/lamps/headlightrem2a.jpg

The rod you see in the center going up is what tilts the low and high beams together.
Read subsection "C"
http://wjjeeps.com/lamps/headlamps.htm#ALIGN

As far as using the ball sockets to adjust left to right, it won't work as they are not on the same axis and not designed to angle the lights out/in. For example if you back the top right stud out and turn the bottom left stud in (to angle the light that direction). The light will not only turn out but will also tilt at a downwards angle... not to mention the light housing then won't be sitting right and will look retarded with your body lines.

I'm also willing to bet that if you start messing with those studs, then you'll find the mounting bolt hole on the housing won't line up with the car anymore, as you will have pushed the housing away from the car too far.
Unread 11-15-2013, 11:45 AM   #11
js12278
1999 WJ 

Those three screws are ball studs and are NOT for adjusting anything on the headlight. If you keep them anything but tight you risk a stress crack in the housing. The wj only has an adjustment for the low beam and the high beam falls in behind the low beam. Make sure you have the bulb seated correctly in the headlight assembly. To be honest, for 100watts, that didn't look like you got too much gain in visibility over a 65W 9005XS. I just removed the low beam 9006XS and replaced them with hi beam 9005XS. The only thing I needed to do was add the yellow washer off the 9006 to the base of the 9005 WITH the red washer to keep the bulb seated snug in the housing. WAY better visibility in my opinion.
js12278 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2013, 08:08 PM   #12
Jrboarder27
2000 WJ 

I realized that this is not what they are for, but had to use them to aim my light back to center on my old WJ after I realized that it had been in an accident and no amount of new housings were going to fix it. Now that I have learned that the low beams move with the highs when aimed, its not going to help wj2000 any ways.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.