Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Help w/ engine problem on a 2003 Grand Cherokee w 22k miles

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  madmanfrommars 
#1 ·
While driving my Jeep I heard a noise about the time I drove over a speed bump (not going over 10 - 15 mph at the time) then a loud clicking/tapping noise that got louder and louder (metal to metal?). Initially thought it might be something w/ the suspension until I noticed smoke coming up from my engine. Pulled in a parking lot and looked underneath to find my muffler, oil pan and chassis soaked with oil. Did not see any holes, no problem with the oil filter or anything loose. Went back to the area where the problem first occurred and saw nothing out of the ordinary.

Had the thing hauled in and the mechanic says he has not seen anything like this. Not sure what the problem is, but indicates that he found compression low on one cylinder. Will not know until he breaks the engine down.

Questions - what likely happened? I think it was probably a coincidence that the problem occurred about the time I drove over a speed bump. Maybe the bump jarred a piece loose?

Since the engine has only 22K miles and this problem appears to be major what course of action should I take? Worried that there may be considerable internal engine damage and damage to other components. Would replacing the components be enough or should I be concerned that this problem could have a lasting effect resulting in continued problems? Should one ask for a new engine?

See less See more
#3 ·
22k... yur still under some warrenty right?

#6 ·
let them deal with it then... wish i had a warrenty =P. i just hit 110k today

#7 ·
Just wondering, was it the 4.7 V8 or 4.0 I6 that had the problem? Good Luck getting it resolved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.