Help verifying wet passenger floor problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Help verifying wet passenger floor problem

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 05-21-2013, 01:40 PM   #1
outbackmatt

Help verifying wet passenger floor problem

I used my wj ac for the first time yesterday. Now I pulled the carpet up and found the passenger side floorboard is wet. In the pic you can see where the trail of water starts on the fire wall at the round pipe and foam. The foam is soaking wet and dripping water.

I read this is probably caused by the ac unit condensation leaking inside, however, I was not able to find a useful thread on fixing it.

What is the foam for and why is it getting wet?

outbackmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 01:41 PM   #2
MuddyWJ
2004 WJ 

Your drain hole might be clogged.
MuddyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 01:46 PM   #3
outbackmatt

Yeah just dug up this thread on it and will give it a try.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/z...ml#post3885949
Unread 05-21-2013, 02:13 PM   #4
outbackmatt

Well I might have screwed up where I drilled the 1/4" hole. This pic is not clear where to drill the hole. They say in the center of the round drain but if I did that I wouldnt be able to plug the hole. Can somebody post a better picture?
Unread 05-21-2013, 02:17 PM   #5
outbackmatt

Also, are we certain the drain is clogged? I remember seeing a lot of ac condensation on the ground under the jeep when it was parked. Would this rule out the drain blockage?

When I drilled the hole where they showed, only a small dribble of water came out. I stuck a wire through the hole and shot compressed air through. Not much of anything happened.

I tried to find where the water drain is located outside. Where is it?

I heard the gasket goes bad? The main thing is that the foam is soaking wet. Why would the foam be wet?
Unread 05-21-2013, 02:34 PM   #6
outbackmatt

Did I drill the hole in the right spot?
Unread 05-21-2013, 04:39 PM   #7
outbackmatt

Thanks JF for helping destroy my ac drain. By following the instructions in the faq section, I have now found out the 1/4" drill bit went through and destroyed the drain pipe going through the firewall.

Warning: do not follow the instructions from this FAQ post. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/z...ml#post3885949
Unread 05-21-2013, 04:41 PM   #8
outbackmatt

How extensive of a project is it to replace this part? Does the dash have to be removed completely? I hope these are not too expensive from the junk yard. This really sucks!!
Unread 05-21-2013, 05:42 PM   #9
pinky2252s
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbackmatt View Post
Thanks JF for helping destroy my ac drain. By following the instructions in the faq section, I have now found out the 1/4" drill bit went through and destroyed the drain pipe going through the firewall.

Warning: do not follow the instructions from this FAQ post. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/z...ml#post3885949
Not to make you feel worse but that thread is from the ZJ section.. Not the WJ section. So that would be the reason why it didn't work for you..

Colorado Jeep Club Member #2252
2001 Laredo, 2004 Special Edition
pinky2252s is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 05:54 PM   #10
MuddyWJ
2004 WJ 

Looks to me you drilled in correct spot according to pictures and looking at my own. The drain is located in between the starter and oil filter on the firewall. Little tube that sticks out an inch or so.
Unread 05-21-2013, 05:55 PM   #11
MuddyWJ
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky2252s View Post

Not to make you feel worse but that thread is from the ZJ section.. Not the WJ section. So that would be the reason why it didn't work for you..
It does say ZJ-WJ. Maybe a mod can change that so it doesn't happen to anyone else.
Unread 05-21-2013, 07:45 PM   #12
outbackmatt

It is a very misleading writeup. Old post or not it was one of the first results to come up when I searched. Many people get flamed for asking questions and not using the search function. There at least needs to be a caution for those reading it that the drain pipe through the firewall can be damaged as a result of drilling the 1/4" hole. I tried to be careful to keep from going to deep but still the drill went right through. Its a bad spot because the bit gouged through the plastic pipe extending out right near the firewall. There is really no way to slide an extender drain tube over it.

Anyway it happend and I just have to figure out how to replace the pipe. What is the official name of this part to find one at a junkyard?

I'm still confused why the inside was getting wet. I let the jeep idle for 20 mins with the AC on today and there was a puddle of water under it so we know its draining. In searching, I read something about a gasket might be needing replaced? Is the foam around the round plastic thing the gasket?
Unread 05-21-2013, 07:55 PM   #13
MuddyWJ
2004 WJ 

Are you losing coolant?
Unread 05-21-2013, 10:25 PM   #14
outbackmatt

No its just water on the floor.

I found this post on a different jeep forum. For anybody searching the wj ac drain problem, save yourself the trouble there is no need to drill a hole. Not sure why there is so much confusion out there regaurding the wj drain. Many people try to compare the wj ac drain clearing procedure to zj's saying they are similar. Not true. The zj comes with a plug inside the cabin and the other end of the drain outside the jeep is unable to be accessed. However,the wj engineers eliminated the drain plug which made some people think they must drill a hole to clear the line the same way they use to on zj's but this is just not true. The wj drain pipe is accessable from underneath the jeep. Just bend a coat hanger and go in from there. So much better than having to replace the whole unit once the drill bit screws it up.

Quote:
Just straighten a wire hanger and shove it up the drain hole located on the front of the firewall. What's the big deal?

I would also take the blower out, clean it, spray something like NuCalgone Evap Fresh onto the evap, and install a Mopar cabin air filter kit.
Unread 05-21-2013, 11:03 PM   #15
outbackmatt

Where is the ac drain in this diagram?
http://htmlimg3.scribdassets.com/3mx...cf4acda6f3.png

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.