HELP!! Turn signal issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > HELP!! Turn signal issue

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-24-2013, 12:57 PM   #1
JoeFTW

Unhappy HELP!! Turn signal issue

Hey everyone!
I just recently bought a 2001 Grand Cherokee with hopes to fix it up and drive it around. One of the issues that I am having is that the left turn signal does not work at all. The Right one works fine, and both hazards work fine. But when I hit the left turn signal, literally nothing happens. No noise no click no blink no light on the dash. Anyone have any ideas??

Thanks!

JoeFTW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 01:55 PM   #2
ace402

Do a quick search. Its probably your flasher relay under the steering column. The solder cracks and renders them useless.
ace402 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 01:57 PM   #3
wj4play
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace402
Do a quick search. Its probably your flasher relay under the steering column. The solder cracks and renders them useless.
X2 but you can just re solder the crack - I did and no probs

Btw it is $$$$ and dealer only part

Sent from busted up iPhone
Unread 10-24-2013, 02:01 PM   #4
wj4play
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFTW
Hey everyone!
I just recently bought a 2001 Grand Cherokee with hopes to fix it up and drive it around. One of the issues that I am having is that the left turn signal does not work at all. The Right one works fine, and both hazards work fine. But when I hit the left turn signal, literally nothing happens. No noise no click no blink no light on the dash. Anyone have any ideas??

Thanks!
Just re read this - the flasher is multi function so flashers etc would not work

Check the connections on the one tail light where the bulb holder screws on

Unread 10-24-2013, 02:10 PM   #5
ace402

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4play View Post

Just re read this - the flasher is multi function so flashers etc would not work

Check the connections on the one tail light where the bulb holder screws on

Are you sure? I thought the flashers could still work. I currently have the same problem on my wj. If I hit the hazards and the the turn signal it will start working again sometimes. I'm on my phone or I would link to the other thread. Either way, do a quick search. There is fairly comprehensive thread out there
Unread 10-24-2013, 02:38 PM   #6
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Also might want to check the connector on your multi-function stalk (turn signal actuator). Could also be a bad stalk. Not hard to get to or change out and you could probably find one in the junkyard.

Sent from my iPad using my fingers
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 02:55 PM   #7
wj4play
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace402

Are you sure? I thought the flashers could still work. I currently have the same problem on my wj. If I hit the hazards and the the turn signal it will start working again sometimes. I'm on my phone or I would link to the other thread. Either way, do a quick search. There is fairly comprehensive thread out there
Positive ..

Unread 10-25-2013, 02:40 AM   #8
nolimitssjca
1999 WJ 

I had the exact same issue. Left turn signal didn't work and everything else did. It was the flasher relay. I got a used one for $10 bucks off a donor parts cars. It's the biggest relay in the middle of the top row on the left side of the dash.
1970 Chevy C-20 350, 2002 Kawasaki Vulcan
nolimitssjca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 06:54 AM   #9
RiverMCK
2003 WJ 

I had same issue, turn signal would work, then not work or stay on permanently. I pulled the relay, took it apart and solders were all good. I bought a replacement relay at NAPA for like $45 dollars. Could find one at junk yard too I suppose, but I decided to go new and not have to worry about it anymore.
RiverMCK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 07:00 AM   #10
ace402

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverMCK View Post
I had same issue, turn signal would work, then not work or stay on permanently. I pulled the relay, took it apart and solders were all good. I bought a replacement relay at NAPA for like $45 dollars. Could find one at junk yard too I suppose, but I decided to go new and not have to worry about it anymore.
So the Napa relay fixed it then
Unread 10-28-2013, 07:14 AM   #11
RiverMCK
2003 WJ 

Yes sir. The NAPA relay looked identical to the OEM part and even had the Chrysler emblem on it. Pull the relay and check the solders first. Use the search function as there is a write up out there somewhere. If you can't see any broken solders, then I would just pull the trigger on a new one. If that doesn't fix it then I would suspect it's the turn signal arm assembly which is also quite easy to remove. I pulled mine out and inspected it before buying the new relay. Not sure what I was looking for but everything seemed intact. Might be a write up on how to check for proper electrical signal running through the turn signal assembly, but like I said, mine was fixed by replacing the relay. Good luck!
RiverMCK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 08:01 AM   #12
wj4play
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverMCK
Yes sir. The NAPA relay looked identical to the OEM part and even had the Chrysler emblem on it. Pull the relay and check the solders first. Use the search function as there is a write up out there somewhere. If you can't see any broken solders, then I would just pull the trigger on a new one. If that doesn't fix it then I would suspect it's the turn signal arm assembly which is also quite easy to remove. I pulled mine out and inspected it before buying the new relay. Not sure what I was looking for but everything seemed intact. Might be a write up on how to check for proper electrical signal running through the turn signal assembly, but like I said, mine was fixed by replacing the relay. Good luck!
Those tards .... Nappy - autozone orielys- advanced auto all told me it was a dealer only part and the dealer wanted $70+ get the relay on my 99 wj . That's why I went the solder route even though I needed a magnifying glass to see the crack

When did you replace it?

Unread 10-29-2013, 09:59 AM   #13
JoeFTW

Thanks guys, i really appreciate all the feedback. I didnt get a chance to do it this past weekend but i will get to it this week. Ill post what i find! Thanks again!
JoeFTW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2013, 09:06 PM   #14
MuddyWJ
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFTW View Post
Thanks guys, i really appreciate all the feedback. I didnt get a chance to do it this past weekend but i will get to it this week. Ill post what i find! Thanks again!
Joe I just performed surgery on my flasher relay today. if you are looking down at the points with the blades facing you, it's the 3rd from the right. 3 Philips screws and two 10mm bolts to pull dash apart. Top row of relays above your fuses, it's the big middle one. Kinda tight quarters but comes out easy enough. Good luck.
MuddyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #15
link375
2001 WJ 

link375 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.