Help troubleshooting A/C Compressor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Help troubleshooting A/C Compressor

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDExtreme Jeep Adventure: Win a 3 Day Rubicon Excursion fromFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-27-2013, 02:27 PM   #1
jrandallc
2000 WJ 

Help troubleshooting A/C Compressor

2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo Inline 6

A/C has not been blowing cold lately. Before the cold finally died, I noticed that the A/C would not blow cold occasionally, but then it would kick in and work next time I drove it. I experienced this off/on (mostly on) behavior for about two weeks before the cold finally went away.

Current Symptoms:
*Compressor clutch will not engage
*With A/C on, I get voltage to the electrical connector at the compressor
*I can turn the clutch with a wrench to the front bolt, so it does not appear to be seized
*I checked Ohms on the A/C Pressure Switch and it measures a slight resistance, but it will not get to zero Ohms. This could indicate a pressure issue causing the clutch not to engage, but...
*If I jump the A/C pressure switch, the clutch still will Not engage.

With the resistance across the pressure switch, I was hoping a simple recharge may fix me, but it seems that since jumping the switch failed to engage the clutch, that would be a dead sign of a bad compressor. Is that the case, even though the clutch is not seized?

I have already checked the fuses and relays and they all appear to be fine.

Is there anything I've missed that I should check out before I break down and replace the compressor?

Last edited by jrandallc; 05-27-2013 at 02:38 PM..
jrandallc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2013, 02:42 PM   #2
lazyWJ
2002 WJ 

If you have voltage to the clutch, it could be your clutch is gone or out of adjustment. With the ac on and the engine running, rap the front of the clutch with a mallet or hammer handle and see if it engages. The air gap might be too large. If you remove the center bolt on the clutch, you can remove the clutch. Inside the back of the clutch there are some small washers you can remove or add to adjust the gap. If the gap is too big, the magnet won't pull it to engage, or it will only work intermittently.
If you don't follow what I'm saying, you can see it with the engine OFF. Push on the front of the clutch, it will move towards the back of the motor and feel "springy". That's how it engages. The coil in the clutch energizes and pulls it back far enough so that it rubs on the pulley and grabs it, engaging the compressor. This sounds like a clutch issue, not a compressor issue. Check this and let us know what you find.
"Bought, Not Built"
lazyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2013, 06:17 PM   #3
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Voltage to the clutch may mean nothing. The relay for the clutch probably or may be provide a ground.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2013, 06:25 PM   #4
jrandallc
2000 WJ 

LazyWJ, I'm going to put you in my will. The clutch was exactly the problem. It took a few taps to get it going, but now just one or two taps on the front will kick it in gear. Now I can get it repaired more directly. Thanks for the quick reply!
Unread 05-27-2013, 06:27 PM   #5
lazyWJ
2002 WJ 

No problem, glad it worked! You can remove a washer or two from the back of the clutch and it should be fine. They tend to stick in the clutch so you have to whack it on a hard surface or use a pick to get them out. It's hard to explain but a 5 minute job to do. Good luck!
"Bought, Not Built"
Unread 05-28-2013, 01:48 PM   #6
jrandallc
2000 WJ 

Thanks again, LazyWJ. I picked up a spare compressor at salvage this weekend for $35. I'll probably use it as a test subject to get familiar with doing this repair.

It seems like this repair could possibly be done without removing with compressor (and without having to drain the refridgerant). Is that a possibility?
Unread 05-28-2013, 01:52 PM   #7
its-me-B
2002 WJ 

i was having the same issue with the clutch not kicking on... tried hitting the clutch with a mallet and boom the clutch kicked on. but i don't have any cold air from any vents...
any thoughts?
Zombie Outbreak Response Unit #396
its-me-B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2013, 02:14 PM   #8
jrandallc
2000 WJ 

its-me-B,

Simple thing first, just double check that the AC button is actually engaged on the console. It may have been accidentally hit.
After that, I would check the pressure on the low-side port on your system. You may need a recharge. I recharged my son's Taurus this weekend. He didn't realize how uncold it was blowing until I recharged it. His pressure was so low it was causing erratic behavior in his clutch and he said that sound went away as well. I noticed it too when I started recharging and the clutch behavior stabilized the closer his low-side pressure got to normal.

Others may have better advice, but that is where I would start.
Unread 05-28-2013, 02:23 PM   #9
its-me-B
2002 WJ 

yeah the ac was on... i might try recharging it this weekend.
Zombie Outbreak Response Unit #396
its-me-B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2013, 02:31 PM   #10
car5car
2000 WJ 

Apply voltage and ground to clutch. It should move in (click).
You can check resistance between battery ground and each clutch pin.
Unread 05-28-2013, 03:36 PM   #11
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

There is a low psi pressure switch that prevents the clutch from pulling in when the system gets too low.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2013, 12:19 PM   #12
lazyWJ
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by its-me-B View Post
i was having the same issue with the clutch not kicking on... tried hitting the clutch with a mallet and boom the clutch kicked on. but i don't have any cold air from any vents...
any thoughts?
Really need to check your high/low pressures. If your compressor runs steadily once you get it turning it's possible that the compressor is shot. If the charge is low it will cycle off especially if you rev the engine. If it never cycles off, it might not be "compressing".
"Bought, Not Built"
Unread 06-29-2013, 09:25 PM   #13
jrandallc
2000 WJ 

I finally got around to removing a washer to adjust the width on my clutch and it seems to be engaging regularly without having to knock it since then. However, a different problem has come up. The clutch is cycling pretty frequently; about every five or six seconds. I assumed this had to do with low refrigerant but when I jumped the A/C low pressure switch, it didn't fix the problem. The A/C clutch still cycles frequently. I would have assumed that if it was just a low pressure/low refrigerant issue, jumping the switch would have resolved it. Also, jumping the switch (actually jumping the harness that connects to the switch, just to be clear) should effectively bypass a faulty switch, correct?

With the switch and pressure out of the picture, what else could be causing it to cycle on and off so rapidly?
Unread 06-29-2013, 09:45 PM   #14
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrandallc View Post

With the switch and pressure out of the picture, what else could be causing it to cycle on and off so rapidly?
Pressure too high will do that as well.

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 10:00 PM   #15
jrandallc
2000 WJ 

Thank you, narnwv. I'll take a closer look at the pressure. Is there a high pressure switch on the 2000 Grand Cherokee? I haven't been able to identify one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.