HELP SKIM module failure, dealership ripoff??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > HELP SKIM module failure, dealership ripoff???

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 10-25-2012, 09:50 AM   #1
jrafols

Wj HELP SKIM module failure, dealership ripoff???

So i think i just got ripped off by the dealership for $700.

I lost the only key i had to my 03 grand cherokee, so i bought two programmable keys on ebay (not OEM). got them cut and took them to the dealership.

the Jeep's battery was low since it hadn't run in about four weeks.

I got it towed to the dealership to the get new keys programmed and after a long wait in the customer service area. the rep comes back saying that the keys cannot be programmed because since the battery was low, the SKIM module lost its programming and i would need a new SKIM module and battery.

A new SKIM and battery were put in but the new keys would not program so I had to buy a OEM key from the dealership to make it work.

in the end, my question is, Can the SKIM module go bad for a dead battery??

jrafols is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2012, 11:14 AM   #2
funkduck
2002 WJ 

What?

My keys work after I disconnect the battery, even when it was disconnected for 3 days..

Sounds bogus to me. If anything, maybe the aftermarket keys you bought were bunk to begin with OR the stealership was butthurt that you didn't go straight to them for keys and never actually even tried mating the aftermarket keys.

If their original argument was that the SKIM was bad because the aftermarket keys wouldn't program and then they replaced the SKIM, and the aftermarket keys still wouldn't program ... then they just ripped you for the cost of a SKIM & install - and the vendor of the aftermarket keys may have ripped you on bunk keys.
Unread 10-25-2012, 11:32 AM   #3
ZB_WJ
2004 WJ 

Sounds like non-chipped keys

This forum is a double edge blade, it's saved me thousands in repairs and cost me thousands in mods
ZB_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2012, 11:34 AM   #4
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

You got scammed on the sentry key module if that's the line they fed you

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2012, 12:33 PM   #5
Indy

Id have a hard time believing anything programmed is on volitile memory, at least until I see pictures of every piece constantly attched to a battery before during and after the ride getting built at the factory.

I hope they at least gave you a reach around.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2012, 12:36 PM   #6
ZB_WJ
2004 WJ 

Dealership?

Mmm, For ripped off, you will be, young padowan (yoda)

I would ask for the old one back and test it somehow.

This forum is a double edge blade, it's saved me thousands in repairs and cost me thousands in mods
ZB_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2012, 02:06 PM   #7
MeanGreenZJ
Web Wheeler

If the SKIM module lost its programming, the dealer has the tools to reprogram it. My guess is that they couldn't get into programming mode due to the factory pin code not working. This can happen for a few reasons such as someone swapping the SKIM module and PCM into your Jeep from another at some point.
MeanGreenZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2013, 02:12 PM   #8
Errol7

Dilema

I am in the same dilema, bought a new FOB key, battery died and now the FOB does not work. The old grey standard key still works which is also an eBay key. They are trying to say SKIM but the old key still works so I have an estimate of $600 for new skim and reprogram of keys. Argh!!

Any suggestions
Buy a new Key??

Another dealer said the key was good but they didn't try a program.
Errol7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.