Help request for P0700 (P0740) Tranny code - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Help request for P0700 (P0740) Tranny code

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-24-2013, 11:36 AM   #1
JeepNowski
2004 WJ 

Help request for P0700 (P0740) Tranny code

So I recently bought an '04 WJ Limited 4.7V8 4wd QuadraDrive w/122k miles on it. Before I purchased it I obviously gave it a good look and tested everything out and noticed it had an engine light and told them that would have to be fixed before I bought it. Came back the next day, dealer said they replaced a soelenoid, (I can't remember the name of it....I think it was the TCC Soelenoid) and flushed the tranny and replaced the fluid with the proper fluid...He gave me a name for the fluid but all I remember at the moment is it had a 4 in it LOL. They then test drove it for about 30 miles and engine light didn't come on....I took it for another drive when I came to check it again and the light never came back on and everything seemed to be in order so I bought it.

On the drive home I went about 20 miles and the engine light came back on. I got home and checked the code on the odometer and came back with P0700, got the mechanic at work to hook up his scanner to it and came back with the same code but for some reason he couldn't communicate with the TCM, took it back to the dealership today and they hooked theirs up to it (with me standing over the mechanic's shoulder) and it pulled up the P0740 code again. They said it might be just because it needs to be driven some (Which I think is probably BS) but I humored them, let them reset the codes again and drive off. I got about 20 miles and the engine light comes on again...Same P0700 code.

The only potential symptom that I have had is when I've been running it to and from work and put it into park when I get home is that the engine revs up to about 1800-2000rpm and then goes back down to @ 500, then cycles back and forth between for a few minutes and eventually stops and idles normally. The transmission doesn't seem to be shifting any differently than normal (no different than my other WJ anyway which has no codes but probably a different xmission)..No hard shifts up or down, no slippage, seems to downshift when passing completely normally.

Anyone got some advise or can help? It would be mucho appreciated!

JeepNowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 10:59 PM   #2
JeepNowski
2004 WJ 

Didnt think about this until now but I'm going to detach the battery cables and leave them for an hour or so....from what I've read that resets the codes.
Unread 08-25-2013, 05:32 PM   #3
JeepNowski
2004 WJ 

Ok so I disconnected the battery cables for a few hours this AM and after plugging them back in I get no codes....Drove it down the road for only 8 or 10 miles and still no codes. Just to be sure I checked the codes via the odometer and got nothing. Of course I've only driven maybe 10 miles so I'll find out tomorrow probably since the first time I went about 50 miles before it came back on and the last time I got not quite 20 miles.
Unread 08-25-2013, 05:44 PM   #4
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

A failed speed sensor is common but typically exhibits the signs of a demon-posessed machine. The light is probably going to come back.

You could pull the speed sensor after a drive to warm things up & test it... search my threads to find out how.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 11:40 PM   #5
JeepNowski
2004 WJ 

Thanks for the input, luckily for me I just bought it so the dealership is going to fix it....theycallded me today about it so I am taking it back toeither get it fixed or get my $$$$ back. After diconnecting the battery for at least 2 hours I drove it to work code free for about 18 miles then it came back on. So they fix it over the next couple of days or I get my money back. I like the jeep, I just cant buy something with an extg tranny code Ģif they dont get it fixed.

Sorry for the grammar/spelling btw I juwy got a new phone and I havemt figured it out completely
Unread 08-27-2013, 11:45 PM   #6
JeepNowski
2004 WJ 

Bad thing is it is almost exactly what I want.....black ltd '04 w 4.7l v8, 4wd, black leather, sunroof, and all the gizmos seem to work aside the engine ligjt being on. Only thing it needs is tires and an auxillary jack for my phone. Im really happpy with though aside from the code it has.
Unread 08-29-2013, 08:44 PM   #7
JeepNowski
2004 WJ 

Update; I took the Jeep back to the dealer and they are supposed to be fixing whatever the problem is. Problem for me is (aside from not having my jeep for a few days) is that this isn't a normal dealership. It's one of those el-cheapo dealerships that mainly deals in cash purchases or 30% interest purchases. I paid cash for mine with the stipulation that I only purchase it when/if the engine light and whatever is causing it to activate is fixed.

Also, going by what they told me because this jeep was titled in another state they can't transfer the title without it being re-inspected and according to them it can't be re-inspected with the engine light on. When I took it back I re-iterated that I wasn't interested if the engine light was on and they said they would for sure fix it regardless of the issue. I'm hoping I don't get hosed on this deal, but I'm going to play it through.
Unread 08-29-2013, 11:11 PM   #8
Merc1973
2002 WJ 

That code is like the "Blue screen of death" for transmissions. Same happened to me. My overdrive would not kick in. I now have a reman transmission for mine installed for $2600. I only had 145k miles on mine. Sorry...

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Merc1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2013, 08:29 AM   #9
JeepNowski
2004 WJ 

Another update; Got a call yesterday and the dealer took it to a transmission shop who after looking it over and checking it out said that it was the torque converter....So they're going to replace that and re-flush the transmission and re-fill it with atf 4 in case there's any debris and then they're going to test drive it and if it doesn't spit out a code again it ought to be good....If it does then it'll be time to talk about either them replacing the entire tranny or getting my $$$ back. Either way, I'm either not spending any additional money on it or I'm getting my money back because I'm not going to accept it as it was.

Edit: They've called me and told me that my jeep's been driven over 100 miles since yesterday at all speeds and no engine light so I get to go pick 'er up today. Tranny shop said the torque converter was def. the issue but wasn't completely shot which is why I never noticed any hard/slippy shifting and it shifted into all gears without any noticeable issues, including OD.

Last edited by JeepNowski; 08-31-2013 at 10:12 AM..
Unread 08-31-2013, 10:11 AM   #10
Merc1973
2002 WJ 

^^^ The torque converters have a lining inside that wears off, clogs the throttle body and lines, and eventually overheats it. Thanks MOPAR.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Unread 08-31-2013, 03:04 PM   #11
JeepNowski
2004 WJ 

Well I got my WJ back, drove it another 60 miles or so in all types of traffic....Stop and go downtown traffic to normal road traffic to freeway traffic up to nearly 100mph (just to check of course) and after a total of 140 miles there's no engine light. I pretty well put it through the ringer just to make sure and all seems well. I don't how to explain it but it just feels like it's shifting properly now....I can see now that it wasn't shifting quite right but it was something that I didn't ever notice before. Now when it shifts it feels like it's shifting with a little more oomph into 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd and you can (just barely) feel it shift into OD instead of watching the RPMs like it ought to.

Now to go get me some tires for this thing and check all my diffs and TC fluids.
Unread 09-01-2013, 11:38 PM   #12
Merc1973
2002 WJ 

Good to hear.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Unread 09-02-2013, 05:45 PM   #13
JeepNowski
2004 WJ 

Ok so here's my new WJ....'04 Limited V8 4x4, black leather interior very little wear and no holes in any of the seats. It also has a sunroof and it's got 122k on it....I don't have any pics of the interior at the moment, but it's all stock and most everything still works.

First order of business now that I've got 'er back is to service the engine, diffs, and transfer case because I have no idea how it was treated before me and then it's time for tires, ATs and I'm going get the biggest tires that will fit without rubbing or making a lift a necessity.... Be gentle, it's new to me and all stock right down to having street tires on it at the moment LOL

Took this pic today while grilling some chicken for Labor Day...
20130902_134549_richtone-hdr-.jpg  
Unread 09-16-2013, 08:35 AM   #14
JeepNowski
2004 WJ 

So since 9-2 since I posted the picture I've driven about 1000 miles and all is well.

The engine light did come back on but this time it is a P1494 code (Evap leak detection pump pressure switch condition) so I'm taking it in to have it smoke tested and replace whatever is leaking or the LDP. Not a huge deal, but it definitely freaked me out when the engine light came on again, but after a quick odometer code check and googling the code I wasn't nearly as worried.

I also still haven't gotten new tires put on it, but I'm going some time this week to get them.....Probably just going to go with the stock 235/65/r17 ATs though.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.