Help with putting HIDs into my fog lights? - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Help with putting HIDs into my fog lights?

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Reply
Unread 05-06-2013, 02:57 PM   #1
DakMan96
Registered User
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 189
Wj Help with putting HIDs into my fog lights?

I own a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee and already have two 55W ballasts and plan on buying two 3000k HIDs for my fog lights. I'm currently running 6000k HIDs in my headlights and think the 3000k HIDs will look nice as fog lights. How do I hook them up without purchasing a conversion kit? Is it difficult? And if you have pictures of your HIDs feel free to post

DakMan96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 03:00 PM   #2
Scibbyz99WJ
Registered User
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Howell, Michigan
Posts: 866
HID lights are not recommended in stock housings. Especially headlights. They perform poorly and brother other drivers.

The reason for this is because the bulb is a different length than the stock halogens
__________________
'99 stroked 4.5L WJ 2" BDS lift
2008 Fire Red F150 XLT 4X4 3V 5.4LV8

Closed minds should go hand in hand with closed mouths
Scibbyz99WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #3
DakMan96
Registered User
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 189
I didn't put HIDs in stock headlights. I bought projector housings and they're perfectly street legal... As for everyone else. Feel free to give me links to the proper HID bulbs to buy if you come across them. Thanks in advance.
DakMan96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 03:16 PM   #4
Scibbyz99WJ
Registered User
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Howell, Michigan
Posts: 866
Perhaps specifying what type of headlights you purchased will help with bulb choice. There are several different kinds.
__________________
'99 stroked 4.5L WJ 2" BDS lift
2008 Fire Red F150 XLT 4X4 3V 5.4LV8

Closed minds should go hand in hand with closed mouths
Scibbyz99WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 03:41 PM   #5
USFORCES
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Northern, IL
Posts: 1,093
Went with 5000k headlights and silverStar ultra halogen's for the fogs they are plenty bright and already have a yellow color to them, well compaired to hid's. lol
img_0318.jpg  
__________________
04 Overland on 33's, Lift & tires= 8" over stock.
USFORCES is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 05:48 PM   #6
DakMan96
Registered User
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 189
I have already put HIDs in my headlights. I'm asking how to install HIDs in my fog lights. What else do I need to purchase? I currently have to ballasts and that is it. Where can I buy a harness and bulbs decently priced and how do I install them?
DakMan96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 05:51 PM   #7
rcwj04
Senior Member
 
rcwj04's Avatar
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Flemington, New Jersey
Posts: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scibbyz99WJ
Perhaps specifying what type of headlights you purchased will help with bulb choice. There are several different kinds.
It helps to read his question sometimes.... To the op I'm not sure as I haven't tried to (mine never came with foglights) it's possible for sure just don't know if you need a kit, but you probably do
__________________




Quote:
You forget that most members here don't own a crystal ball to tell you exactly what your problem is, specially with bad pictures that don't say/show much of anything... -Jacko84

Just a 19 year old kid with a Jeep, and broke because of it, and loving every moment.
---------------------------------------------------------------
2004 WJ Laredo 4.0 116k
2" BDS coils & Bilstein 5100's | Addco rear swaybar with energy bushings |
K&N FIPK | glasspack | plasti-dipped badges | 17" moabs | HID's, 245/65/17 Cooper Discover AT3 | Rola rack | Fawkes stand alone shackle tabs | Bed lined interior (what a pain that was)
rcwj04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 05:52 PM   #8
rcwj04
Senior Member
 
rcwj04's Avatar
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Flemington, New Jersey
Posts: 832
For the second question look at ddmtuning.com good quality stuff at decent prices
__________________




Quote:
You forget that most members here don't own a crystal ball to tell you exactly what your problem is, specially with bad pictures that don't say/show much of anything... -Jacko84

Just a 19 year old kid with a Jeep, and broke because of it, and loving every moment.
---------------------------------------------------------------
2004 WJ Laredo 4.0 116k
2" BDS coils & Bilstein 5100's | Addco rear swaybar with energy bushings |
K&N FIPK | glasspack | plasti-dipped badges | 17" moabs | HID's, 245/65/17 Cooper Discover AT3 | Rola rack | Fawkes stand alone shackle tabs | Bed lined interior (what a pain that was)
rcwj04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 06:04 PM   #9
DakMan96
Registered User
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwj04 View Post
For the second question look at ddmtuning.com good quality stuff at decent prices
Tried the link. Not what I was looking for ): Thanks anyways though
DakMan96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 06:27 PM   #10
imaguy3
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Az
Posts: 1,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakMan96 View Post
Where can I buy a harness and bulbs decently priced and how do I install them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwj04 View Post
For the second question look at ddmtuning.com good quality stuff at decent prices
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakMan96 View Post
Tried the link. Not what I was looking for ): Thanks anyways though
If you have them in your headlights, you install them the same way in your fogs.

You sure you looked at the link then?

Bulbs, select the 9005/9055/H12/HB3 for size
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/HI...lacements-Pair

and your wiring harness
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/HI...Wiring-Harness

ETA: 1000 ;-)
__________________
EvilEagle - "Imaguy3 just made everyone in this thread his b*tch."
imaguy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 06:54 PM   #11
DakMan96
Registered User
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaguy3 View Post
If you have them in your headlights, you install them the same way in your fogs.

You sure you looked at the link then?

Bulbs, select the 9005/9055/H12/HB3 for size
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/HI...lacements-Pair

and your wiring harness
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/HI...Wiring-Harness

ETA: 1000 ;-)
Oh... I used the site completely wrong. Thanks a ton man. Looks like I'll be buying these babies and hooking them up. I'll be sure to post pictures when I do. I'll post what I have now. Sorry, the lights are hard to see.
DakMan96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 06:55 PM   #12
DakMan96
Registered User
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 189
Here ya go
photo-2.jpg  
DakMan96 is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.