Help With New Purchase - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Help With New Purchase

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba

Unread 08-22-2014, 03:41 PM   #1
elijahpr
1998 ZJ 

Question Help With New Purchase

Helping my father find a Jeep. We've more or less settled on an '04 Laredo, with about 120k. Listed at $6,000, so not too bad. Went to test drive it, and noticed the ABS light was on, and it took 4 or 5 times for it to fully start up (cranked just fine). I figured the latter was because it had been sitting on the lot for awhile. The steering column also made a very audible groaning noise when being turned, which is probably just the diff/TC fluids being low or needing a change (no grinding or bumping accompanied the noise).

Anyways, told the guy if he was intereted in getting the ABS light checked out, then to give us a call back. He called back today, and said that he drove the Jeep around a little more, and the light disappeared. Is that sketchy to anyone else? I've had that happen to me once on my ZJ, but it's a used car salesman so I'm skeptical. He has an in house mechanic, and my guess is that he just reset the ABS light.

Yay, or nay?

Unread 08-22-2014, 03:50 PM   #2
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

Njay, the ABS light is hard to reset without dealer electronic, or problem solved,,,

The other issues, hard start and Steering issue would concerned me more,

Have you read the ultimate buyer guide here at JF, i think its under Stickie's?

Have you learned yourself the keydance?

Turn the ignition key until the digital odometer displays, repeat three times in succession and then back to "On" (On/Off, On/Off, On/Off, On). At the fourth "On" the odometer will be replaced with codes. If no codes are present then "Done" will appear.

http://wjjeeps.com/faultcodes.htm
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...grade-1813490/

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2014, 04:07 PM   #3
elijahpr
1998 ZJ 

I know that the ABS light can't be reset with just a normal OBDII, but is the tool available to anyone that's not a dealership? That's my concern; that his in house mechanic has it, and just reset it. I can't think of a reason why it would have stayed on for our short test drive, and then just gone off when the owner of the business drove it. Never know, I guess.

As for the steering issue, I read in a few places that filling/replacing the fluids I mentioned solved it and took away the noise. What else could that possibly be?

I figured the hard start could have been from it sitting for awhile, or would that be unlikely? I tried to see how old the battery was, but none of the dates were checked off. Spark plugs looked good. The owner said it started right up when he went to drive it, but who knows if he was telling the truth or not.

I did read the guide, which was a HUGE help. I even had it open on my phone while my father drove, checking stuff like the blend doors, etc.

Next time we go up there, I'll be sure and try that key trick. Thanks! Wish my ZJ had that....
Unread 08-22-2014, 04:11 PM   #4
losttech

2000 WJ 

6k and it has issues no way there are better rigs that are close to perfect for 4-5k.
losttech is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2014, 04:12 PM   #5
elijahpr
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by losttech View Post
6k and it has issues no way there are better rigs that are close to perfect for 4-5k.
Maybe where you're from, but around here 90% of the Jeeps on Craigslist and such are huge rust buckets. Gotta love living in a state with road salts/sand!

Thanks for the input. I'm kind of leaning more towards no now as well. It's so clean that I want to tell him to, but that ABS light is bugging me. A lot.
Unread 08-22-2014, 04:26 PM   #6
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

Might be issue with diff or Steering gear,,, just thinking.

At start up after sitting for a long time, it can act like That if you crank it imediatly after key has entred ignition.

When put in, turn to acc/on, fuel pump starts to build up pressure, which can let off if sit for long periods, then you should wait to Chime shuts before crank the engine, atleast then the pump manage to build up pressure before crank.
Might just been this, idk
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...grade-1813490/

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2014, 05:16 PM   #7
Jwhughes3
1999 WJ 

$6k seems high for a 2004 to me especially with "issues". I would keep looking.

JW
Jwhughes3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2014, 05:55 PM   #8
elijahpr
1998 ZJ 

What would you guys say a fair price for it would be?

And thanks for the advice Thomahawk, I'll be sure and try that next time we go look at it. I didn't know that about the fuel pump building pressure when the key is in the acc position.
Unread 08-22-2014, 06:43 PM   #9
2ndhandWJman
2003 WJ 

I wouldn't put it past a used car lizard to just pull the light bulb from the dashboard to "fix" the ABS light. Do yourself a huge favor and find a private seller that can show you receipts for service and maintenance work.
2ndhandWJman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2014, 07:39 PM   #10
Jwhughes3
1999 WJ 

I think for basically stock WJs, even 2004s, $4500-5k is tops. I could see $6k only if it had mods or upgrades I was going to do anyway. And for top dollar it better have new tires that I like.

1.4million WJs. You can find the hidden gem.

JW
Jwhughes3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2014, 07:47 PM   #11
elijahpr
1998 ZJ 

Hopefully we can get him down to $4000-$4500. There's a dealership in the same town, so we are going to try and take it there. The ones around here do an 80-point inspection, free of charge. If anything comes up, or if they refuse to let us, it's not happening.

When I say this Jeep is clean, I mean it's absolutely flawless. Cosmetically that is. Tires are good, too.

WJman your post makes me want to take the dash apart to see if it's missing now

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.