Help. . New Jeep WJ w/ electrical problems - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Help. . New Jeep WJ w/ electrical problems

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 10-06-2012, 11:33 PM   #61
protonspring
1999 WJ 

One more thing . . . seems like the Jeep takes a bit to start. The starter seems to engage quick enough, but it seems to take quite a number of revolutions before the engine can go on its own. Almost like, only one cylinder at a time gets going.

I suspect maybe the fuel pump, or filter, but if anyone else has any ideas, please post them.

protonspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2012, 11:35 PM   #62
protonspring
1999 WJ 

This is turning into my own little build thread. I hope that is OK.
Unread 10-08-2012, 06:14 PM   #63
protonspring
1999 WJ 

Another question: if I find another low mileage dana 35, can't I just swap out the differential? Seems like it should just bolt in and out.

If I do that, will I have to adjust or shim anything, or is it really just a bolt in/out part?
Unread 10-10-2012, 03:08 PM   #64
protonspring
1999 WJ 

Found another issue: The Jeep would NOT start this morning. After messing with it a bit, I figured out that if I shift into neutral instead of park, it starts just fine. Suspect the neutral safety switch. I planned to just replace the part (it's like $25 or so), but I can't get the old one off. No sockets will fit over it because a hex corner buts against the transmission pan. I can't get another wrench on it because there is no room. Has anyone replaced this before?
Unread 10-14-2012, 07:48 PM   #65
protonspring
1999 WJ 

The issue with the interior lights coming on randomly boiled down to the security alarm door switch (as recommended earlier in this thread). Ends up there was a broken wire a few inches beyond the lock cylinder.
Unread 10-14-2012, 07:49 PM   #66
protonspring
1999 WJ 

Oh. . and I'm getting rushing water sounds again. Kinda annoying.
Unread 10-14-2012, 08:55 PM   #67
tim0

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by protonspring View Post
OK. I have a Grade "A" Dana Spicer 35 off an '02 GC, 3.73 Ratio, w/ 69k miles I can get for $500. I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on this and just swap it out. Then i'll probably just put in some thick 80w-140 oil and see how long it lasts.

Seriously. . . I'm feeling a little lonely in this thread. Anyone agree or disagree with this decision?
FYI if you change the rear end please insure you match you gear ratio with the front gear ratio or you wont like the dammage it will do the your transfer case.
tim0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 01:26 AM   #68
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by protonspring
The issue with the interior lights coming on randomly boiled down to the security alarm door switch (as recommended earlier in this thread). Ends up there was a broken wire a few inches beyond the lock cylinder.
Ha ha, thumbsup!
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...grade-1813490/

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2012, 08:22 AM   #69
protonspring
1999 WJ 

Neutral Safety Switch Update: Seems like the neutral safety switch was cross threaded into the transmission housing. It took about 100 ft-lbs of torque to get it out. Needless to say, I couldn't thread in a new one. The thread hole buts against the transmission pan, so there is no room for a 1" socket around the sensor (it will fit around the sensor, but then the sensor won't go in straight, which probably caused the first issue). Also, I'm not sure I want to tap it because then I'd probably have to drop the transmission pan again, to get out all of the metal shavings. . . grrr. . . . . lazy lazy engineering. . . who designed this crap?

I had to plug the hole manually, and jumper the connector, just to get the Jeep to start. I'll try to hobble to the dealer this morning, and see if I can get them to put in a new switch (and hope they only charge me the 1 hour or so to do the job).

Out of the long list of common problems with these Jeeps, I think this jeep has had every single one. . and there is more to do. My patience with this vehicle is wearing very thin. I've worked on Japanese and European vehicles for 20 years, and I've NEVER seen so many problems at only 130k miles.

The luster of owning a Jeep is quickly dissipating.

(EDIT: Dealer confirms that you NEED a special tool to get this sensor out. There is no room to fit a socket over this sensor. You need a 1" open ended socket. . like for an oil sump, something)
Unread 10-16-2012, 08:23 AM   #70
protonspring
1999 WJ 

Gas Mileage Update: I get about 13mpg around town (no high speed driving). Seems like I should be able to do better than that. Not sure.
Unread 10-16-2012, 09:19 PM   #71
protonspring
1999 WJ 

Update: Neutral Safety Switch. The local dealer was able to put in a new sensor (remember old one was cross-threaded), but it did NOT fix the problem. At least i don't need a new transmission. BTW, the housing was made of aluminum and cross-threading a sensor is NOT repairable (i.e. a new transmission is the only way to fix this). Dealer charged $100 to install a new sensor, but wanted another $100 to diagnose + how ever many hundreds to fix the issue. At this point, I'm not sure it's worth it. My plan is to bypass the neutral safety switch, but I'm not sure what I'm going to do about the reverse light.

Because the problem is so intermittent, I suspect another broken wire . . probably along the path to the Neutral Safety Switch. I'll see if I can figure that out this weekend and post my results.
Unread 02-07-2013, 07:44 AM   #72
protonspring
1999 WJ 

Just to end the thread. I was able to find a mechanic that would swap the rear axle for $800 (which includes a used axle). All in all, I decided to sell the Jeep. Even if the axle worked well, there are still a handful of electrical problems (security switch, neutral safety switch, rear door lock, etc.), and my MPG was like 13 (after a full tune-up). I just decided it was time to move on. The Jeep sure drove well in the snow though.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.