Help. . New Jeep WJ w/ electrical problems - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Help. . New Jeep WJ w/ electrical problems

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-20-2012, 02:25 PM   #16
super98lsc
Web Wheeler
1999 WJ 

If the back end is VERY noisy like mega-road noise roaring its likely the axle bearings. I would inspect it all as mentioned and replace the axle bearings while your at it.

===================================
00 WJ 4x4, 4.7 stroker, turbocharged,..lots more..
01 WJ 4x2 4.7v8 Limited (needs valve job)
90 Grand Wagoneer 401 Edelbrock Heads, Lunati .510/.527 FT Cam, Edelbrock RPM Air Gap, Holley HP 750, Thorley Headers, HEI, Electric Fan w Digital controller,4" lift 31x10.50 Goodyear Duratrac's on Pro-Comp Wheels,new interior, seats,seals,Alpine and JL full system, Remote HEI, Clifford 2 way with remote start,windows,tailgate.
96 Cherokee Country 4dr/2x2 White/Tan 3" Lift Sahara 18" Wheels 32.5"'s 99up head and intake- for sale soon!
super98lsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2012, 12:48 AM   #17
protonspring
1999 WJ 

I do hear a wheel bearing, but the very LOUD noise from the back end is different. If I'm coasting. . there is NO noise. If I'm driving, or accelerating, then it is VERY loud. Seems like this might more indicate a bearing other than in the axle or wheel. I'll fix the wheel bearing(s) first, then see what's next. Thanks for all the help!
protonspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2012, 12:50 AM   #18
protonspring
1999 WJ 

Oh. . and "QD" . . is that QuadraDrive ? I think I just have "Select-Trac" . . . not QuadraDrive. Sorry, I haven't had time to do any research here yet. Do I still need the limited slip differential fluid?
Unread 09-21-2012, 02:17 AM   #19
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by protonspring
Oh. . and "QD" . . is that QuadraDrive ? I think I just have "Select-Trac" . . . not QuadraDrive. Sorry, I haven't had time to do any research here yet. Do I still need the limited slip differential fluid?
Nope and no FM needed.
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...grade-1813490/

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2012, 08:38 AM   #20
protonspring
1999 WJ 

Seems like if I'm going to take apart the rear, then I should just replace all the bearings. How many are there? Is there a rear-bearing kit someone would recommend?
Unread 09-21-2012, 08:49 AM   #21
spazzedface
2009 JK Wrangler 

I had the same issue of the worn lock cylinder and ended up replacing the lock cylinder with a junkyard one. There were a few times were I started it with my Acura Integra key and didn't notice it until I pulled it out
spazzedface is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2012, 10:53 AM   #22
protonspring
1999 WJ 

CEL came on today . . . cylinder 3 misfire. . . new spark plugs. Runs WAY better. Looks like spark plugs had never been changed. . jeeze.
Unread 09-22-2012, 10:54 AM   #23
protonspring
1999 WJ 

I'm pulling off both rear axles today, and will press on new bearings this weekend. Wish me luck. . never done something this big before.
Unread 09-22-2012, 07:47 PM   #24
protonspring
1999 WJ 

Wow. Taking the rear axles out was super easy. Actually, it was easier than doing brakes. Wheels off, two bolts for caliper removal, 4 bolts for bracket removal, slide hammer pulled out the axle in 3 whacks. Had both axles out in 20 minutes. I can't believe I almost paid someone $400 to do this. Will press on new bearings on Monday.
Unread 09-24-2012, 08:37 AM   #25
protonspring
1999 WJ 

Came out this morning, and the interior lights were on. . . strange. No one has touched the jeep all night. I opened and closed a the rear driver side door, and they turned off. Dang. . either means another wire short, or a bad door switch. I'll probably just start disconnecting switches until this behavior stops. Any other reason why the interior lights would just come on randomly while the jeep is just sitting there?
Unread 09-24-2012, 10:38 AM   #26
ZB_WJ
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by protonspring
Wow. Taking the rear axles out was super easy. Actually, it was easier than doing brakes. Wheels off, two bolts for caliper removal, 4 bolts for bracket removal, slide hammer pulled out the axle in 3 whacks. Had both axles out in 20 minutes. I can't believe I almost paid someone $400 to do this. Will press on new bearings on Monday.
One thing I love about The WJ. Fairly simple to work on. My aunt has a Nissan Pathfinder and I will not touch that thing. Talk about cluster ****. God bless American engineering!

This forum is a double edge blade, it's saved me thousands in repairs and cost me thousands in mods
ZB_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2012, 11:05 AM   #27
wjguru86

The wiring you removed was for a key bypass for a remote starter. The connector would've plugged into a "coffin box" that would hold a key. And like you said the ring went up to the key cylinder to transmit the transponder code in the key to the cylinder.
wjguru86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2012, 05:52 PM   #28
outofrng623
2004 WJ 

Check the boots in the door as mentioned earlier. I have an 04, rear speakers didn't work. Had a complete stereo setup and while my guy was doing it, he found 8 broken wires between the two back doors. He fixed them for me. This Saturday, windows stopped working. Sunday I took apart the boot, two broken wires. I fixed them and all is well...Until the next wire snaps. If it's not that, check the switch at the door (dont know technical name) that opens and closes the circuit when the door is closed and opened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by protonspring View Post
Came out this morning, and the interior lights were on. . . strange. No one has touched the jeep all night. I opened and closed a the rear driver side door, and they turned off. Dang. . either means another wire short, or a bad door switch. I'll probably just start disconnecting switches until this behavior stops. Any other reason why the interior lights would just come on randomly while the jeep is just sitting there?
outofrng623 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2012, 05:59 PM   #29
outofrng623
2004 WJ 

Excellent link. I just happened to be reading through this thread and saw this. Just so happened I had broken wires in my door the other day and then some lol . I knew one was for the windows, but I wasnt sure about the other. Was going to search it out tonight...Saw this link, went to it and figured it out. THANKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001WJv8 View Post
http://www.bbbind.com/tech_database.html

check out this site, all the tsb's and diagrams you could ever want
outofrng623 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2012, 09:32 PM   #30
protonspring
1999 WJ 

Well . . I got the axles back in today. It was pretty easy. However, the noise is still there. I checked transmission fluid, and rear differential fluid. Is there a separate reservoir for the transfer case? Perhaps that is low on fluid.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.