Help Needed. Lift installation in tri-state - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Help Needed. Lift installation in tri-state

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 05-16-2011, 03:55 PM   #1
DaProfessor
2004 WJ 

Help Needed. Lift installation in tri-state

Hello. I just bought a lift, and a couple of guys on the forum talked me into not taking it to a shop to have them install it. I dont know what they charge, but I guess whatever it is--its too much.

I dont have tools (i can pick somethings up), a garage, or automotive knowledge. If you can provide that, I can provide the hot wings and beer. lol.

Its a 4" Rough Country X-series going on a 2004 Overland.

Any help or advice is appreciated. Thanks

DaProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2011, 04:53 PM   #2
99JGCWJ
1999 WJ 

Where are you located?

Sent from my VM670 using JeepForum
Unread 05-16-2011, 08:03 PM   #3
DaProfessor
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99JGCWJ View Post
Where are you located?

Sent from my VM670 using JeepForum
I am in nyc. Brooklyn specifically.
Unread 05-17-2011, 04:32 PM   #4
DaProfessor
2004 WJ 

I am willing to travel throughout the tri-state area.
Unread 05-17-2011, 08:47 PM   #5
straty1987

hey am over in Brooklyn, NY about 2 miles from the verizon bridge

the only down side is no garage, which can kill you unless you want to do this day by day in parking lot or a big parking spot since its about a 8 hour project on paper. i do all of my work on the street and it add to time watching out for peopel and cars around you.

can read threw the install instruction here http://www.roughcountry.com/install/639p.pdf

a shop can do it but your going to have to be able to talk to them to make it sound like normal working replacing basic part so they don't kill you on labor. basically its new Coil springs, shocks, lower adjustable control arms, sway-bar quick disconnects, bumpstop spacers, adjustable track rod, transmission cross member spacers. can do it little by little but will take forever a lift and air tools help allot which a ship will have.

most shops will charge by hour and task. i know one guy that i use to just have install things and usually can get him to do it for $45 a end. other guys want $75-$100 a end. also will need a alignment after its done so that can add $100 to the labor bill and will wanter tires to fill in the jeep. so try asking around

am kind of surprised you jumped into 4" lift. not allot of lifted WJ around most i see have 2" lifts and a one or 2 with 3", plenty of lifted wranglers, xj, and zj.

try posting in the NY section to see if anyone can help
straty1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2011, 09:09 PM   #6
Apollo21
2002 WJ 

Great Neck here on LI with a lift but it's on a military base which may give you a problem.
Midshipmen Patrick 1/C USMMA DD: 2004 Golf GLS TDI 43mpg and 2002 Overland: Zone 4in, 32in Treadwright MTRs, IRO upper CAs, lift gate light mod, Alpine/Polk speakers, and power inverter with USB in dash mod, CB, custom rear swing out tire carrier Build thread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/apollo21-build-thread-902929/[/url] SOLD
Apollo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2011, 12:50 PM   #7
straty1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo21 View Post
Great Neck here on LI with a lift but it's on a military base which may give you a problem.
how long did your install take at home?

to OP i would say post for a lift party and see who can help.
it might be an investment for you to buy some tools, a few cans of PB blast, and get help from people.
i have a floor jack, jack stands, and most basic and tools. just not air tools
straty1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2011, 01:45 PM   #8
Apollo21
2002 WJ 

about a day with breaks
Midshipmen Patrick 1/C USMMA DD: 2004 Golf GLS TDI 43mpg and 2002 Overland: Zone 4in, 32in Treadwright MTRs, IRO upper CAs, lift gate light mod, Alpine/Polk speakers, and power inverter with USB in dash mod, CB, custom rear swing out tire carrier Build thread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/apollo21-build-thread-902929/[/url] SOLD
Apollo21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.