Help needed with front CV joint drive shaft - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Help needed with front CV joint drive shaft

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 07-24-2010, 04:56 PM   #1
jeepsterguy
2011 WK 

Help needed with front CV joint drive shaft

I have a 2001 WJ. The front drive shaft has a CV joint at the transfer case side. The rubber boot of the CV joint cracked and needs replacement. I checked the dealer and autoparts, no luck finding it.
If you know where I can get the boot, please let me know.
Thanks.

jeepsterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2010, 05:41 PM   #2
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

I dont think the make a boot for that. People dont really rebuild cv shafts all that much anymore. So there isnt much of a market for them. But they used to make these things called split boots for cv axle shafts. That might help you out a little bit if you can find one.
Unread 07-24-2010, 05:52 PM   #3
jeepsterguy
2011 WK 

I am familiar with the split boot, it would not work on this.
I don't want to buy a new DS just because of the boot.
I discovered it today, Saturday, when the drive shaft shops are closed. I plan to call Monday.
In the mean time I am trying to get ideas where I might find the boot.
Unread 07-24-2010, 08:29 PM   #4
jeepsterguy
2011 WK 

Anybody know if it is possible to get the whole CV joint?
Unread 07-25-2010, 01:07 AM   #5
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

the local driveline shop here has anything and everything driveshaft related, i would wait until monday and give them a call. i found the auto parts stores next to useless.

and yes it is possible to get a whole new cv assembly
Unread 07-25-2010, 07:55 AM   #6
jeepsterguy
2011 WK 

I am thinking of taking it apart and trying to fit an axle CV joint boot.
Unread 07-25-2010, 09:46 AM   #7
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

whole different size joint.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2010, 06:17 PM   #8
greyfox
2000 WJ 

I just replaced the CVJ boot on my '00 GCL. I had no trouble finding a replacement boot for about $10 (at O'Reilly's). The trouble I had was with the boot clamp. They didn't have a clamp tool to rent so I messed up the one that came with the boot and had to find a clamp that didn't require a tool (Autozone).

You'll have to pull the axle and maybe deal with some rusty parts. You'll need a 13mm 12-spline socket and a 5 ft. pipe to use on your breaker bar for pulling the axle nut (30mm socket). Otherwise, standard tools apply.

Don't mess around with a split boot. They're difficult to install and they don't hold up.

If you take it to a shop, the labor shouldn't be more than an hour.
greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2010, 07:40 PM   #9
jeepsterguy
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyfox View Post
I just replaced the CVJ boot on my '00 GCL. I had no trouble finding a replacement boot for about $10 (at O'Reilly's). The trouble I had was with the boot clamp. They didn't have a clamp tool to rent so I messed up the one that came with the boot and had to find a clamp that didn't require a tool (Autozone).

You'll have to pull the axle and maybe deal with some rusty parts. You'll need a 13mm 12-spline socket and a 5 ft. pipe to use on your breaker bar for pulling the axle nut (30mm socket). Otherwise, standard tools apply.

Don't mess around with a split boot. They're difficult to install and they don't hold up.

If you take it to a shop, the labor shouldn't be more than an hour.
I'm afraid I didn't make myself clear. The boot is on the front driveshaft, not the axleshaft.
The CV joint is bolted on the transfer case.
Unread 07-25-2010, 08:36 PM   #10
greyfox
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsterguy View Post
I'm afraid I didn't make myself clear. The boot is on the front driveshaft, not the axleshaft.
The CV joint is bolted on the transfer case.
Sorry, I missed that.
greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 12:49 AM   #11
jeepsterguy
2011 WK 

I took the driveshaft to a shop. At first I asked him to grease and replace the boots. The splines were found worn so I exchanged my DS for one he had previously overhauled for $175.

Tags
cv driveshaft

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.