HELP! My jeep makes a grinding noise backing up in the Morning. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > HELP! My jeep makes a grinding noise backing up in the Morning.

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-14-2011, 09:37 AM   #1
hick2087
1994 XJ Cherokee 

HELP! My jeep makes a grinding noise backing up in the Morning.

Okay so here is the deal. I have a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It had a new engine put in it a few months ago. I just had the transmission fuild changed and fulshed. Well ever since I had the new engine put in and since it has been cold and snowy here in michigan, I've had this grinding noise when I back up. It only does it in the morning when I first back up and than it will not do it. It happens every day in the morning. My car sits all night as soon as I get home. Any idea of what it could be? Also I smell like a rubber smell in the back when I get home.

hick2087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2011, 09:42 AM   #2
XJH-007

Does it do it when you first put it in Reverse and have not started moving yet? Or does it do it as you back up (sound happens all the time while backing up)

My WJ makes a sound that could be considered grinding upon putting it in reverse. It's like a solenoid or cable adjustment sound.....harmless but it's there.
Tera 4:1 / 4:56's_Elec. Locked D44
**84' CJ7 4"BDS 33's
***02 WJ Overland
XJH-007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2011, 09:45 AM   #3
hick2087
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJH-007 View Post
Does it do it when you first put it in Reverse and have not started moving yet? Or does it do it as you back up (sound happens all the time while backing up)

My WJ makes a sound that could be considered grinding upon putting it in reverse. It's like a solenoid or cable adjustment sound.....harmless but it's there.
It does it when I first put it in reverse and when I am backing up the whole time. Only does it when I first start the thing up to leave and than it will not do it any other time of the day.
Unread 01-14-2011, 09:49 AM   #4
XJH-007

Hmmmmm

What if you put it in reverse, and don't move, then put it back into park. Then go into reverse again??

Does it sit outside at night?
**84' CJ7 4"BDS 33's
***02 WJ Overland
Unread 01-14-2011, 09:58 AM   #5
hick2087
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Hmmmmm

What if you put it in reverse, and don't move, then put it back into park. Then go into reverse again??

Does it sit outside at night?
Yes it does sit outside at night. I have tried that before and it didn't do it than. I haven't tried it again thou recently. The mech. said that when he did my engine that the transmission was good. Would he have noticed anything when he did the flush and cleaned it out? I know that this jeep has never had a transmission flush since I owned it and the person whoever had this before must have been rough with it. I've had to replace the engine because it had a tapping and it went out after two in half years. It was a 4.0 6cly. I also just had the tie rods replaced, and fuel injectors cleaned. I had to take it in last week because when I was coming home from work, I stopped at the grocery store and when I left my jeep stated shaking bad, had no power and I could not go over 55. It also had a burning smell.
When I took it around before I took it in, it was also stopping when I tried going 60, it would start breaking and i wasnt even touching the brake.

So the mech. said the engine was fine. The computer showed a bad gas cap, also fuel injectors needed to be cleaned, and than he said the transmission fluid was almost black and needed to be done. I just don't understand why it would still make that grinding sound if I had the tansmission flushed if it was the transmission. It does run a little rough at stop lights. I know the spark plugs have not been changed since i had it. Could that have something to do with it also running rough at the stop lights?

Also I posted something else on the forum about a bad rubber smell in the back tire on the passnger side? Any ideas for that? I have not changed the breaks and they do need to be done.
Unread 01-14-2011, 10:05 AM   #6
Merc1973
2002 WJ 

When was the last you changed your rear diff fluid?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Merc1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2011, 10:06 AM   #7
hick2087
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc1973 View Post
When was the last you changed your rear diff fluid?
I don't know if it has ever been changed??? I know when my dad had it, it has never been changed. Would that be making a rubber smell because a friend had his go out on his jeep and it was just a very hot smell and burn, and smoke.
Unread 01-14-2011, 10:16 AM   #8
TSyl
2001 WJ 

Just a thought since you mention it sits outside and you all have had snow etc.

The past few days here (Denver) were really cold following a front that dropped about 7" of snow. Each morning I would have a terrible clunking grinding noise (really bad when turning) that would slowly go away as a I drove. After sitting all morning it would be bad again when heading to lunch. Turns out it was ice building up in the front wheel wells and the tires were rubbing on it. Since it was very hard ice (vs. snow build up) it wouldn't break free and as any melting froze again it would repeat the process. I chipped it all off the other night and next morning there was no noise.
TSyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2011, 10:19 AM   #9
hick2087
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSyl View Post
Just a thought since you mention it sits outside and you all have had snow etc.

The past few days here (Denver) were really cold following a front that dropped about 7" of snow. Each morning I would have a terrible clunking grinding noise (really bad when turning) that would slowly go away as a I drove. After sitting all morning it would be bad again when heading to lunch. Turns out it was ice building up in the front wheel wells and the tires were rubbing on it. Since it was very hard ice (vs. snow build up) it wouldn't break free and as any melting froze again it would repeat the process. I chipped it all off the other night and next morning there was no noise.
Total different thing. It is not a clunking.
Unread 01-14-2011, 10:34 AM   #10
TSyl
2001 WJ 

Fair enough. Was just simple idea since some of the symptoms sounded similar to mine.

Carry on.
TSyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2011, 10:38 AM   #11
XJH-007

Sounds like you need a 2nd opinion from a different mechanic. Your current mechanic seems to have a lot of issues with the 4.0 swap.

If the sound was not present when you were not moving, it is driveline related. If it only does it once and then is gone...it appears to be heat related. (once warmed up it's ok)

I suggest checking the rear U-Joints on the driveshaft. They can make all sorts of strange noises when going bad. You can also remove the rear DS and see if it makes the noise.

Can you pinpoint an area the sound may be coming from?
**84' CJ7 4"BDS 33's
***02 WJ Overland
Unread 01-14-2011, 10:41 AM   #12
hick2087
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Sounds like you need a 2nd opinion from a different mechanic. Your current mechanic seems to have a lot of issues with the 4.0 swap.

If the sound was not present when you were not moving, it is driveline related. If it only does it once and then is gone...it appears to be heat related. (once warmed up it's ok)

I suggest checking the rear U-Joints on the driveshaft. They can make all sorts of strange noises when going bad. You can also remove the rear DS and see if it makes the noise.

Can you pinpoint an area the sound may be coming from?
It sounds like it is underneth me when backing up. I will listen more closely tonight when I head to work. When we took it in, my dad said he didnt hear it when it was parked in the garage.

It seems like when one thing goes in a jeep everything else seems to start having problems. Ugh!
Unread 01-14-2011, 12:22 PM   #13
MOABJK
2009 JK Wrangler 

It is your rotors, Your Rotors have Rust on them from sitting overnight with the salt water from the roads and when you back up you are grinding off the rust. That is why it goes away every morning, nothing really wrong with it but it is annoying.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.