Help with my Cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Help with my Cherokee

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 10-30-2013, 12:18 PM   #1
CherokeeGirl14

Help with my Cherokee

Ok so here it is. I have a 2002 Grand Cherokee Laredo, 4.0L I6. It was giving me a small problem when I would be driving down just the road the engine would shut off. I would put it park turn the key off then it would start right back up. I googled it and checked my codes and the Crank sensor was suggested to be replaced. done. I test drove it down the road and it did fine at first and then it started flashing the check engine light and sputtered until the engine shut off. Put in park, turned key off, it started right back up. The jeep threw new codes of a misfire and ignition coil. Changed the spark plugs and coil pack and Jeep then still was missing and wouldn't idle very well. I also put mid-grade gas and a can of SeaFoam in and let it run for a good 10 minutes. Next I changed the cam sensor (I got a new code for that one) and it ran just fine until coming home I went across the railroad tracks and guess what engine shuts off. My ignition switch broke August 2012 and I never replaced it because after about 2 weeks it started working again fine. (and by broke I mean I couldn't turn the key without slapping it with my hand hard.) I purchased the ignition starter switch (the electrical component of the ignition switch) and plan on replacing that today because to me it seems like the jeep is just shorting out somewhere and that is where I plan to start. Any ideas/suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

CherokeeGirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2013, 04:10 PM   #2
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

You'll have better luck posting this in one of the GC subforums.

This is an XJ forum. We only deal in antiques.
Unread 10-30-2013, 04:40 PM   #3
chris87xj

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Welcome to Jeepforum.
I moved this thread to the Grand Cherokee section of the forum where your fellow WJ drivers can best assist. Good luck with her!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2013, 04:49 PM   #4
pitsy
1999 WJ 

Well, I'd replace the mechanical parts of the ignition switch as well. Having to smack it to get it to turn sounds like there might be some loose bits and pieces floating around in there.

That it shut off going over railroad tracks suggests a loose wiring connection or damaged insulation on a wire somewhere. Time to start wiggling wires to see if you can get it to act up again.
pitsy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
2002 , crank sensor , ignition switch , jeep , shut off

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.