Help with my Cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Help with my Cherokee

Jeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesJeep Wrangler Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontPremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 10-30-2013, 11:18 AM   #1
CherokeeGirl14

Help with my Cherokee

Ok so here it is. I have a 2002 Grand Cherokee Laredo, 4.0L I6. It was giving me a small problem when I would be driving down just the road the engine would shut off. I would put it park turn the key off then it would start right back up. I googled it and checked my codes and the Crank sensor was suggested to be replaced. done. I test drove it down the road and it did fine at first and then it started flashing the check engine light and sputtered until the engine shut off. Put in park, turned key off, it started right back up. The jeep threw new codes of a misfire and ignition coil. Changed the spark plugs and coil pack and Jeep then still was missing and wouldn't idle very well. I also put mid-grade gas and a can of SeaFoam in and let it run for a good 10 minutes. Next I changed the cam sensor (I got a new code for that one) and it ran just fine until coming home I went across the railroad tracks and guess what engine shuts off. My ignition switch broke August 2012 and I never replaced it because after about 2 weeks it started working again fine. (and by broke I mean I couldn't turn the key without slapping it with my hand hard.) I purchased the ignition starter switch (the electrical component of the ignition switch) and plan on replacing that today because to me it seems like the jeep is just shorting out somewhere and that is where I plan to start. Any ideas/suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

CherokeeGirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 03:10 PM   #2
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

You'll have better luck posting this in one of the GC subforums.

This is an XJ forum. We only deal in antiques.

Man who stands in front of Jeep gets tired. Man who stands behind Jeep gets exhausted.
CCKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 03:40 PM   #3
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Welcome to Jeepforum.
I moved this thread to the Grand Cherokee section of the forum where your fellow WJ drivers can best assist. Good luck with her!

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009

Vote for the Jurassic July Cherokee Of The Month!!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 03:49 PM   #4
pitsy
1999 WJ 

Well, I'd replace the mechanical parts of the ignition switch as well. Having to smack it to get it to turn sounds like there might be some loose bits and pieces floating around in there.

That it shut off going over railroad tracks suggests a loose wiring connection or damaged insulation on a wire somewhere. Time to start wiggling wires to see if you can get it to act up again.
pitsy is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.