help me diagnose transmission issue... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > help me diagnose transmission issue...

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 03-02-2013, 09:21 AM   #1
JustinGB
2000 WJ 

help me diagnose transmission issue...

2000 WJ Limited, i6 242.

Here's my issue, when I start the jeep cold and start driving, the transmission will have a difficult time shifting into 3rd. 1st, 2nd, and 4th all shift fine and smoothly. If i'm just driving normally, when it goes to shift to 3rd, it will slip. I can get it to reengage if I let off the throttle until i feel it go into gear or if I stay on the throttle at around 3000rpm sometimes it will shift but a little hard.

However, when the transmission has warmed up, everything will work flawlessly and super smooth. From what I've gathered, it doesn't have to do with engine temp. Typically I will let the jeep warm up in neutral then drive off, if I do this it may slip the first time it tries to go into 3rd, but after the first time it will function normally. If I don't let it warm up, it will do it several times before it starts functions normally.,

JustinGB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2013, 11:36 AM   #2
falta
1999 WJ 

I’ve got the exact same issue going on with my 99WJ 4.0 and was looking on this Forum for some one addressing this. I know a Transmission shop that’s very reputable and will call him this week for his thoughts on this problem. I will post on this asap.
Thanks.
falta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2013, 05:43 PM   #3
JustinGB
2000 WJ 

I would love an update, my friend took a guess and said a sticky valve body but honestly I don't know much about transmissions.
JustinGB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2013, 06:43 PM   #4
murph0124
2003 WJ 

possible governor issue, mine would get stuck in 3rd and i would have to manualy shift 1st and 2nd. I replaced my governor pressure sensor and solenoid and it fixed it.
murph0124 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2013, 05:26 PM   #5
falta
1999 WJ 

I talked to the trans shop, he said it sounds like a seal is getting hard, then becomes more pliable when it warms up and allows it shift to better. $1800 on the high side for a complete rebuild. I’m going to add a pint of trans seafoam run it for a day, then drop pan and change filter and go with the Valvoline +4 synthetic at $6 a qt. Hope with the warmer weather coming that I can bide some time to figure out just what I want to do. Maybe get a used trans or install a reman or have him do it?? So that’s my plan as of now. Let me know if you have a fix or any luck with yours. Thanks
falta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2014, 09:01 AM   #6
BlackFox82

Not trying to revive an old thread but I'm having this issue on my WJ.. Any updates possibly?
BlackFox82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2014, 09:13 AM   #7
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Just a thought to consider, my '98 ZJ 4.0 was having similar issues that seemed to be the tranny. Turns out it was the catalytic converter choking up the motor which was screwing with the message it was sending to the tranny.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.