Help, Jeep Cherokee 1999 Trouble p0700,p0715,p0731 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Help, Jeep Cherokee 1999 Trouble p0700,p0715,p0731

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 11-19-2012, 06:13 AM   #1
ThekingV8
1999 WJ 

Wj Help, Jeep Cherokee 1999 Trouble p0700,p0715,p0731

Hi all!

Thank god I found this forum. Bought an Jeep Grand Cherokee 1999 Limited Edition with Quadra-Trac II. Love that 4.7 V8.. Awesome machine..

Been using it for 1 years as a daily driver car. Runs so smooth and fine. until 2days ago. While driving around 80-90 km/h (approx 49-55mph).
It suddenly shifted and I felt really felt the gear change, either from 3 to 4 or a downshift from 4 to 3.. Engine and tranny had just been running for like 5mins and the outside temp was around 0 Deg celcius (approx 32 Farenheit).. slowed down and accelerated smootly and it changed fine again. stopped and fuelled her up and rolled out again. then suddenly the Service Engine was on and the the engine was at ~2500rpm at 80km/h (usually its around 1550-1600rpm at that speed) so it seems like its not shifting in to 4th and the O/D on/off button wont help it change or anything.

So I turned the key on/off on/off on/off 3 times and got the following code:

F0700: looked it up and turns out like this: EATX Controller DTC error

Yesterday I picked up and ODBII reader and got these 2 codes:

F0715: Input/Turbine Speed Sensor "A" Circuit (http://www.dtcsearch.com/P0715/)

F0731: Gear 1 Incorrect Ratio (http://www.dtcsearch.com/P0715/)

Car runs good in 1,2,3 and R and all that dont think it puts in the 4th gear thou (cause it runs at 2500rpm at 80 and normally around 1550-1600rpm at that speed). and the gears are put in with and little "clunk/hard" not as smooth as it used to have done. Its shifting kinda hard sometimes, maybe due the bad input/output sensor?

Tranny have runned awesome and never had any strange shifting or anything, Oil looks and smells as it should. Red and clear, correct level. Never had any noises or anything so is it as simple as electrical/relay problem or is it worse?? could'nt be right?

So my question is, Where to start with this error? Never had any problems with it. Never worked on a Jeep 1999 before (only Camaros 3rd gens..)

Found some info on this page here: A bad sensor causing the P0715 (found this thred on another forum: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/r...-p0700-112286/) he had the same codes P0700, P0715+ P0731+732+733 I only have the P0715+P0731 (not the 2nd and 3rd as he had.)

He changed out his sensor and the problem was solved. Is there a way of measuring the senor (ohm) or should I just buy a new one and replace it?

Any thoughts or suggestions is really welcome, Id appriate all help I can get.

Also how do I know wich sensor I need ? Where there 2 types of transmission during this time?
one with 1 sensor and another with 2 sensors, is there a way of knowing wich one I have without crawling under the car? no garage and pitch black outside so I would love not to raise it if I dont have to..

Found a "manual / how to" for this error here : http://www.wjjeeps.com/speed_sensors.htm

How do I know wich sensor to order?

So I hope you would take some time and read thru this and help me out, would really make my day.

Thanks For your time!

Dan Norberg, Sweden

PS. Im not using the car atm, she is parked until I know whats wrong im using another car until my Jeep is fixed.

AUDI A4 2001 with Manual Trans [ Wifes Car :-) ]
ThekingV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2012, 07:25 AM   #2
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Here ya go... Test procedure contained within.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/s...ailure-561977/
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2012, 07:33 AM   #3
ThekingV8
1999 WJ 

Thanks man!

Ill order 2 sensors from US (ebay) and change them both, dosent cost much around ~$30 /peice so thats cheap.
Ill order them tonight hopefully I get them monday (next week) and Ill swap them both just in case.
Dont want the tranny to have the same failure again in a soon future.

Also, is it dangerous to drive the car with this error? I have the garage like 30km from where I live... pretty far to drive, is it a bad ideo or is that ok if I keep it slow? or shall I change it on the driveway instead??

Thanks for fast reply man!

God Bless you!

Also do I have the transmission with 2 sensors? havent checked under it yet, 1999 V8 Grand Cherokee Limited Edition with QuadraTrac II tranny, was it only delivered with the 2sensor tranny?

Thanks again.

Last edited by ThekingV8; 11-19-2012 at 07:35 AM.. Reason: adding info
Unread 11-19-2012, 11:03 AM   #4
jgoberkeller
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Change them in the driveway. I'm not sure if driving will damage it. But the two sensors are very easy to change. They are right on the side of the trans in plain view. I changed mine in the parking lot at autozone.
jgoberkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2012, 11:17 AM   #5
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

2 sensors. Be sure to keep the old ones and do the OHM test on them. That, + a drive after the swap will tell you if you're done or if you still have more to sort out.

Personally, I would have tested before ordering parts but it is nice to know it's probably not that if the problem continues.

Driving it like that is certainly uncomfortable but no damage will result that I'm aware of. Just go easy on it.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2012, 02:32 AM   #6
ThekingV8
1999 WJ 

Hi guys!

Sorry ive been away ****load of work and we are moving to a house me and my family, moving with 2 kids (2 and 4 years old) this month isnt easy :-) much todo everywhere with work and christmas coming up!

So Ive havent ordered the sensors yet, car have been sitting on the driveway, thought I order them today thou.
My 1999 Jeep have 2 sensors for sure or? where there 2 trannys this year on these cars or are the 1 sensor tranny an older one? before 1999 ?

Also I started the car up yesterday and moved it around cause I had to showel snow, and there was no ENGINE LIGHT and it shifted smooth and nice again, problems that fix "itself" is never fun or good. My guess is that its the sensors cause it was warm outside when the error first happened and now it is -15deg celcius and maybe the sensor works when its cold.

Been reading around and you guys are saying the same, that is it probobly the sensors (very common error it seems on these cars)

So my question, is there always 2 sensors on a 1999 Jeep GrandCherokee Limited Edition with the QuadraTrack II tranny?
will order the sensors off ebay tonight if I get it confirmed that it is 2 sensors on this tranny.

Havent been able to get under the car yet due all snow and the cold weather..

Thanks again for all help, will keep you updated to the problem until its fixed.
Unread 12-04-2012, 08:28 AM   #7
jgoberkeller
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThekingV8
Hi guys!

Sorry ive been away ****load of work and we are moving to a house me and my family, moving with 2 kids (2 and 4 years old) this month isnt easy :-) much todo everywhere with work and christmas coming up!

So Ive havent ordered the sensors yet, car have been sitting on the driveway, thought I order them today thou.
My 1999 Jeep have 2 sensors for sure or? where there 2 trannys this year on these cars or are the 1 sensor tranny an older one? before 1999 ?

Also I started the car up yesterday and moved it around cause I had to showel snow, and there was no ENGINE LIGHT and it shifted smooth and nice again, problems that fix "itself" is never fun or good. My guess is that its the sensors cause it was warm outside when the error first happened and now it is -15deg celcius and maybe the sensor works when its cold.

Been reading around and you guys are saying the same, that is it probobly the sensors (very common error it seems on these cars)

So my question, is there always 2 sensors on a 1999 Jeep GrandCherokee Limited Edition with the QuadraTrack II tranny?
will order the sensors off ebay tonight if I get it confirmed that it is 2 sensors on this tranny.

Havent been able to get under the car yet due all snow and the cold weather..

Thanks again for all help, will keep you updated to the problem until its fixed.
Yes you have the exact same WJ as I do. 2 speed sensors. Both the same. Fifteen minutes lying in a driveway will get em changed.
jgoberkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 02:52 PM   #8
ThekingV8
1999 WJ 

Hi all, sorry for late response been moving and ****load of things at work.

Changed the sensors tonight and its 100% fully working again,
It was the one closest to the engine that was bad, changed both anyway.

Thanks for all help!!! :-)

God Bless You All!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.