Help! Fog light removal! - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Help! Fog light removal!

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Reply
Unread 01-31-2013, 03:08 PM   #1
rloew275
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Zanesville, Ohio
Posts: 153
Help! Fog light removal!

Help! Fog light removal. Any easy way to get to the fog lights? Just rip the plastic out in the fender well??

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

rloew275 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2013, 03:20 AM   #2
cykaaro
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: orangville, ON
Posts: 2,839
Crawl underneath and look up. If it's bulb replacement, then you should be able to get in there without removing anything. If you're taking the whole housing out, then it's best to turn the wheel so it gives you room, undo the clips that hold the fender well to give you more room, unhook the light wire haress and then using a ratchet unbolt them. They'll just fall out. Be careful not to crank too hard on them Typically the bolt is rusted so the whole thing will unscrew from the housing, but occasionally it can just brake the bolt. If they come out great (doesn't take too much force at all) but if you're finding it needs quite a bit, stop, and hit with PB blaster so you won't break it, let it do it's job, and then try. you can always use a little heat and hit with cold water which works great, but you it mind burn the bumper somewhat so don't really recommend. (in honesty, usually the bot will unscrew from the housing. Only once have I ever had one snap off the head before, but still it can happen.
__________________
The beatings will continue until attitudes improve!

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2013, 03:28 AM   #3
elcorvino
Registered User
2003 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 1,243
As stated above, turn the wheel and come in from the bottom. There is no need to tear out the plastic.

The light housing has 2 bolts holding it in. The light itself just twists out.
elcorvino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2013, 09:00 AM   #4
rloew275
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Zanesville, Ohio
Posts: 153
Thanks guy! I was able to get up in there this morning to swap out the bulbs. I was worried that the 9005 bulbs I got wouldn't fit because they weren't the 9005xs with the 90 degree bend and I was afraid they would stick too far out into the wheel well but they fit just fine. Thanks for the input!!
rloew275 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2013, 09:13 AM   #5
cykaaro
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: orangville, ON
Posts: 2,839
Good to hear! Actually the stock bulb type for the foglights are 9055 type which are IMO too low to use effectively. The 9005 bulbs will give a much better light output. Cheers!
__________________
The beatings will continue until attitudes improve!

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2013, 09:29 AM   #6
rloew275
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Zanesville, Ohio
Posts: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by cykaaro
Good to hear! Actually the stock bulb type for the foglights are 9055 type which are IMO too low to use effectively. The 9005 bulbs will give a much better light output. Cheers!
I agree!! 9005 work much better and actually put out much more light!! Here's the comparison from the driver side 9005 and the passenger side 9055
image-2534337363.jpg  
rloew275 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2013, 09:56 AM   #7
cykaaro
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: orangville, ON
Posts: 2,839
Makes a huge difference when there's no streetlights like where I am. Not planning on hitting a deer if I can help it! Presently working on a HID retrofit for the fogs. Slow going, but should work extremely well. Trying to work out how to put in and allow for up/down and side/side adjusting.
__________________
The beatings will continue until attitudes improve!

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2013, 03:35 PM   #8
4Tom
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 2,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by cykaaro View Post
Makes a huge difference when there's no streetlights like where I am. Not planning on hitting a deer if I can help it! Presently working on a HID retrofit for the fogs. Slow going, but should work extremely well. Trying to work out how to put in and allow for up/down and side/side adjusting.
I wouldn't bother fitting hid in fog lamps it makes them unusable on the road with the glare it causes. Plus in fog snow it cause so much reflection that its easier to see with them switch off than on.

I know this as I tried 9005 HID kit 55w 6000k.
9005 halogen bulb much better and useable.
__________________
WJ 2001 3.1TD
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/2001-wj-3-1td-1252959/

Tom
4Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2013, 04:13 PM   #9
cykaaro
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: orangville, ON
Posts: 2,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tom View Post
I wouldn't bother fitting hid in fog lamps it makes them unusable on the road with the glare it causes. Plus in fog snow it cause so much reflection that its easier to see with them switch off than on.

I know this as I tried 9005 HID kit 55w 6000k.
9005 halogen bulb much better and useable.
On that I agree. HID's should never be used in a halogen housings. That is not what I'm working on. I'm doing a retrofit, which is using proper projectors. I'm also going with 3000k bulbs.

This is why it doesn't work putting and HID bulb in stock halogen housings.

Example of HID in halogen housing. No focus of light or cutoff. Blinds oncoming traffic:


HID's in a halogen projector. Kind of a cutoff but still too much glare towards oncoming traffic:


HID in a HID projector (FX-R projector, which is what I have). Proper cutoff.
__________________
The beatings will continue until attitudes improve!

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2013, 04:43 PM   #10
rloew275
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Zanesville, Ohio
Posts: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by cykaaro

On that I agree. HID's should never be used in a halogen housings. That is not what I'm working on. I'm doing a retrofit, which is using proper projectors. I'm also going with 3000k bulbs.

This is why it doesn't work putting and HID bulb in stock halogen housings.

Example of HID in halogen housing. No focus of light or cutoff. Blinds oncoming traffic:

HID's in a halogen projector. Kind of a cutoff but still too much glare towards oncoming traffic:

HID in a HID projector (FX-R projector, which is what I have). Proper cutoff.
Wow.. Awesome comparison. Everyone goes nuts on those who want to throw some hids in halogen reflector housings, but actually seeing the difference supplies proof to everyone's argument.
rloew275 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2013, 05:07 PM   #11
cykaaro
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: orangville, ON
Posts: 2,839
If you google hid in the different housing types, there's tons of examples of each. Those are just at random. You can see why in halogen housings, not only is the glare bad, but they don't put light where you need it. On the road.
__________________
The beatings will continue until attitudes improve!

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2013, 12:37 PM   #12
4Tom
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 2,479
I retro fitted projector lenses in stock headlamps as there is plenty of space and work great with HID bulbs.

But I didn't see projectors lenses small enough to fit in fog lamps.

I did however see projector fogs looks like they use the halogen H1 bulb but the quality seemed questionable from the pictures I seen on ebay. No idea how well they work with HID.
__________________
WJ 2001 3.1TD
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/2001-wj-3-1td-1252959/

Tom
4Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2013, 05:33 PM   #13
cykaaro
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: orangville, ON
Posts: 2,839
Talked to Andrew at retrofit source. Gave me some ideas to try. Many use the blazer projectors for fogs, (there seems only a handful that work well with HID's as the fogs are different then typical halogen projectors) but I really don't like them at all. And yes, that's the biggest problem. Find a good small sealed projector that works good with an HID bulb. What I'm using fits almost perfectly. I'm working on trimming it for initial fit and cut the back bulb location on the stock housings so far. (been slow at doing it unfortunately) but next is how to put them into a permanent position for maximum adjustablility, and then finish hacking and painting the housing so it all plays nice. Have 3000k bulbs on the way, as I decided to try them over doing the 4300k. Wouldn't go any higer for fogs at all. I have serveral sets of ballasts kicking around, so no problems there. Just have to make up a wiring harness for them.

Once I get this thing more together I'll post up. (or check out my thread on hidplanet)
__________________
The beatings will continue until attitudes improve!

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2013, 11:06 PM   #14
rloew275
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Zanesville, Ohio
Posts: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by cykaaro
Talked to Andrew at retrofit source. Gave me some ideas to try. Many use the blazer projectors for fogs, (there seems only a handful that work well with HID's as the fogs are different then typical halogen projectors) but I really don't like them at all. And yes, that's the biggest problem. Find a good small sealed projector that works good with an HID bulb. What I'm using fits almost perfectly. I'm working on trimming it for initial fit and cut the back bulb location on the stock housings so far. (been slow at doing it unfortunately) but next is how to put them into a permanent position for maximum adjustablility, and then finish hacking and painting the housing so it all plays nice. Have 3000k bulbs on the way, as I decided to try them over doing the 4300k. Wouldn't go any higer for fogs at all. I have serveral sets of ballasts kicking around, so no problems there. Just have to make up a wiring harness for them.

Once I get this thing more together I'll post up. (or check out my thread on hidplanet)
Yes, please keep us updated!!!
rloew275 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2013, 01:13 AM   #15
cykaaro
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: orangville, ON
Posts: 2,839
Will do. Going to try to get the mechanics of them worked out this weekend.

The only thing I've ever seen for aftermarket fogs are LEDs which I don't think are good enough output wise, and the halo/halogen projectors which look to ricey. I have a few ideas, but want them to look fairly stock like.
__________________
The beatings will continue until attitudes improve!

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.