HELP! Engine/Electrical Problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > HELP! Engine/Electrical Problems

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-18-2013, 03:36 PM   #1
Airborn44
2000 XJ Cherokee 

HELP! Engine/Electrical Problems

Hello all, Hope someone can help me out here as I am stuck.

I serviced my Grand Cherokee 4.7 lit V8 a few weeks ago by changing oil/filter, sparkplugs and did an external enginewash (no highpressure).

The car started and ran perfect for a couple of days and then I left for hollidays for a couple of weeks. When back from hollidays I tried to start it and it would run normal for about 2-5 seconds and then as if only on a few cylinders and the exhaust smells very "fishy". What I also noticed was that the voltmeter showed 9 volts and the speedometer was moving erraticaly.

If I manage to rev the engine which is hardly posssible it starts kicking in and run normaly when passing above 2000rpm, however voltmeter and speedometer stays the same. All other indications are normal. I have checked the battery removing the connectors and it is 12.7 volt, generator gives above 15 volt when messured directly on the generator. messuring the battery terminals when connected and engine running gives just about 14 volt indicating the battery is getting charged.

Also the AC doesnt seem to work...doesnt cool but fan runs and AC light is illuminated.

It feels like a grounding problem to me so I have replaced the gronding cable I found under the rear of the engine running to the chassi and the exhaust. I also cleaned all small groundings I could find in the engineroom.

Are there any other major grounding points. And where is the ignitionbox located.

Would be eternally greatful for any advice.

Best regards,

Phil

Airborn44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.