Help: Death Wobble? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Help: Death Wobble?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 06-12-2013, 11:41 AM   #1
HarryG
1999 WJ 

Wj Help: Death Wobble?

Hi, first time posting here, hope you guys can help. I'm sure this has been discussed before, as i understand wj's are notorious for death wobble. My jeep wj never used to get DW, but over the past year i get these DW's randomly. Usually happens for me around 35-45 mph.

Not sure how else to stop it as it's happening other than just stomping on the brakes. Once I'm back down to around 20 mph it stops. Letting off the gas and coasting doesn't help, it feels like my tires start bouncing off the ground it gets so bad. Luckily it seems to not happen on the highway.

It seems that the trigger for my jeep's DW is at 40 mph, i hit a pothole or even a slight bump in the road, and that jolt is enough to then cause DW. Sometimes i feel a slight wobble in the steering wheel after the bump but then it dissipates, other times it escalates into full blown DW.

My question is, is there any way to solve/eliminate death wobble?

Or, am i stuck worrying about DW at sub-highway speeds?

Any help would be great, or even if u have an older post you could link me.

Thanks.

UPDATE:

Well, I replaced a couple parts and now I no longer have death wobble.
My trackbar bushings and steering stabilizer were worn.
I installed the Hard-KOR SUPER-hard Rockwell trackbar bushings and the Hard-KOR Replacement Steering Stabilizer from kevinsoffroad.com.

There is a noticeable difference in the steering, much more responsive and tight steering. Best of all death wobble is 100% gone.

Thanks for all the help during this process.

Last edited by HarryG; 07-15-2013 at 11:03 AM..
HarryG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 11:46 AM   #2
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Are you lifted? If so, list the specs and anything you have done to address the issue. There are some common reasons that you can eliminate off the bat. There are actually quite a few of us on this site that have had this issue in the past or are having it now.
brouwmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 01:37 PM   #3
HarryG
1999 WJ 

Yes, i have 2" coil spacers, longer shocks to go with it and i have slightly larger tires, 265 75R 16's. I have not done anything else. The DW issue did not start when i lifted, it ran just fine for a while. Not to say the lift has nothing to do with it..
Unread 06-12-2013, 01:48 PM   #4
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Did you touch the Track bar? That is the most common with a lift. Check the bolts to make sure they are as tight as you can make them and then tighten them again. Otherwise, common issues are tie rod ends, worn ball joints and bad hubs. Did you check those out? You can find instructions for testing those on the site. The tie rod ends and then the track bar is probably the issue in most cases.
brouwmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 01:55 PM   #5
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Start with a dry steering test.

If you are not sure what this is, turn the steering wheel back and forth rapidly while someone watches underneath. Watch all the steering parts and also any parts responsible for locating the axle. If there is slop somewhere, you will see it.

Do this with the Jeep off and the tires on the ground. Turn the steering wheel from about 9 o'clock to about 3 o'clock. Just enough to induce the slop, but not too much where you cannot saw it back and forth quickly.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 03:03 PM   #6
HarryG
1999 WJ 

Thank you both for the info, much appreciated. I will check the steering components and will post an update with any results.

Thanks again.
Unread 06-12-2013, 04:57 PM   #7
JustSomeDude
2004 WJ 

Steering stabilizer will help with death wobble, but won't cure it.

Check your track bar bushings, and if necessary, drop these bad boys in... http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/cart/ha...r-track-p-290/
JustSomeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 08:04 PM   #8
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Dry steering test will expose bad track bar bushings.

You'll see movement if there is a problem there.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 08:16 PM   #9
HarryG
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSomeDude View Post
Steering stabilizer will help with death wobble, but won't cure it.

Check your track bar bushings, and if necessary, drop these bad boys in... http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/cart/ha...r-track-p-290/
Thanks for the link. I will definitely get some of those if it comes down to needing new track bar bushings. I plan on doing a dry steering test tomorrow with a buddy of mine, and ill go from there.

Thanks again for the help so far everyone.
Unread 06-20-2013, 04:38 PM   #10
Jeepgrand1
1999 WJ 

Had death wobble myself my jeep is lifted 6in went through it all ! My fix was a rusted up and seized front drive shaft slip yoke! Freed it up and DW is gone !
Jeepgrand1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 07:56 PM   #11
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepgrand1 View Post
Had death wobble myself my jeep is lifted 6in went through it all ! My fix was a rusted up and seized front drive shaft slip yoke! Freed it up and DW is gone !
That makes no sense.

'02 WJ: 4.7L, 5", HP44/9", 231HD, tall & skinny KM2's
'99 XJ: stock
'99 XJ: stolen
'06 XK: sold
231HD build guide
skain8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 01:27 PM   #12
HarryG
1999 WJ 

Hey guys,

So I did the dry steering test and i did not see anything unusual in the steering components, there was no slop anywhere. Any other suggestions would be awesome.

I see the track bar bushing that were linked previously are specifically made to stop death wobble in lifted WJ's. Now, since i didn't notice any unwanted movement in the track bar during my dry steering test, would these bushing indeed help me? Should i replace the stock bushing with these and hope they solve it, or is there a proven fix for this?

Thanks.
Unread 06-27-2013, 01:42 PM   #13
aestrad1
2000 WJ 

Do the dry steering test and grab ahold of all your track bar, tire rod and drag link. Try to feel and clunks and determine where they are coming from.

Its likely track bar bushings, TREs, or ball joints
aestrad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 02:03 PM   #14
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

Kevins bushings will not fit in a stock trackbar. If you didn't see play in the TREs or trackbar, lift the front end and check your ball joints and bearings.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

KCCO
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 03:59 PM   #15
slicvic19

I didn't see any play at all in my track at when I did a dry test as well for death wobble, pulled it off though and found the upper rubber bushing deteriorated.
Ordered a new bushing from I want to say Morris 4x4 and DW is gone!
slicvic19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.