JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/)
-   -   help anyone (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/help-anyone-1823930/)

gcolonna1986 11-24-2013 03:15 PM

help anyone

I need some help on removing the entire shift assembly on my 02 wj I can't get the 4x4 cable off of the metal bracket

dagangsta 11-24-2013 04:49 PM

Maybe ask a a mechanic or something. Good luck

MuddyWJ 11-24-2013 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dagangsta (Post 17979370)

Great answer!!!!

Toreyjw1 11-24-2013 06:41 PM

Lol ^

gcjeeping 11-25-2013 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gcolonna1986 (Post 17977290)
I need some help on removing the entire shift assembly on my 02 wj I can't get the 4x4 cable off of the metal bracket

It's a ball n socket. Just pry it gently off. The other cable is a screw.

Originally Posted by gcjeeping View Post
You don't. Cant be done. Have to take the knobs off.

The long story. I just explained it to someone that bought a bezel from me. From the start. You may already know how to remove the center console, so if you do ignore that part.

Console out.
2 screws under the rubber piece under the ash tray.
2 screws under the cup holder.
2 screws in the box under the arm rest.
Pull the box out .
2 screws inside the center console under the box at the back each corner.
Console will come out.

Ways to remove bezel. All ways require removing the knobs.

You have to pop off both shifter knobs.
**BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THE GEAR SELECTOR KNOB**. There are two wires running up into it for the OD button. There is no play in the wires to pull the knobs off, they will break. Follow the wires from the connector up the the arm for the gear selector and undo it from the points securing it to the arm. This will give you slack when you pop up the knob.

The will pull off with a real good tug (Watch you head on the roof).

My preferred method is to use a really big crescent wrench or wrench. I have a 1 5/8" one that is over 18" long. I put a rag over the open end and put it around the base of the trans selector (in 1st) and the handle on top of the 4x4 selector (in 4lo). The leverage will pop off the trans selector pretty easy with a good smack on the end of the wrench with my hand.

Do the same with the 4x4 selector and put the handle on the trans shifter shaft. Then a good smack. Both knobs are off now.

Unclip the bezel from both sides. Will slip over 4x4 shaft .

At this point you have a couple choices.

You can cut the 2 wires to the OD. Slide the bezel off and put new one on and splice the wires back together. Put the console back in and your done.

Next choice disassemble it.
Figure out how to get the pins out of the connector. Remove wires from the Slide the bezel off and put new one on.

Next choice disassemble it.

Remove the light strip.

The light strip just slides over 2 pins on a little elect box. Untuck the strip from under the plastic at the front. Lift it out towards the back and then slide it of the transformer or what ever that little power box is. Set aside.

Remove light pwr box.

This box will need to come out as it is part of the harness and cant be unplugged. There are two little tabs holding it in in top. These are a pain in the a$$. I found that a sharp screw drive pushed across the tabs and remove them makes it easy to get it out. Wont effect it staying in place when you put it in. Remove box. and unattach the harness from the frame

Harness connector.

Either pop it off the metal bracket or slide it off the plastic bracket.

Wiring harness to OD should be loose already.

If you have the type shifter with the solenoid in the front that will have to be taken loose and take the bracket that the bezel clips to off.
It is held on by 2 clips in the back and sorta hinged in the front. Gently pry the clips loose and the lift by the back and the front will slip off.

Remove the wiring harness on the gear selector and light strip.

Feed the harness and shifter blinds out the old bezel.

Reassemble in reverse.

alfaitalia 11-25-2013 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dagangsta (Post 17979370)

Im surprised "hes" not been on yet to solve this problem with his massive knowledge and experience............. hes a mechanic you know........but I think he may have mentioned that....ABOUT A MILLION TIMES!
I think we all know who im talking about!

gcjeeping 11-25-2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alfaitalia (Post 17999034)
im surprised "hes" not been on yet to solve this problem with his massive knowledge and experience............. Hes a mechanic you know........but i think he may have mentioned that....about a million times!
I think we all know who im talking about!

lol

The time now is 09:35 PM.