Help! 4.7 190k White Smoke from exhaust! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 08-20-2017, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
dangerzone500
2000 WJ 

Garage
Question Help! 4.7 190k White Smoke from exhaust!

Hi, I have an 00' 4.7 with 191,000 on the odometer. Recently I pulled into my driveway and noticed smoke blow past my window from the back of the jeep when I stopped, so I got out and walked to the back and noticed a pretty decent amount of white smoke coming out of the tailpipe. (It is currently around 90 degrees F where I live and the engine was at operating temp.) I have also noticed that it doesn't seem to smoke when the engine is cold, only after driving for at least 10 minutes or getting up to operating temp and staying there for a bit. I recently had my Valve Cover Gaskets replaced also. (Doubt that has anything to do with it but I thought I would throw that out there just in case.) I believe it to be either burning coolant, blow by, or maybe a bad head gasket but I don't know. It starts just fine and it drives/idles just fine as well. There is no smoke coming out of the engine, just the exhaust pipe. Any suggestions as to what it could be are appreciated! Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-20-2017, 09:11 PM
Moses2564
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Head gasket. Blow-by, or oil bypassing worn piston rings usually through a cylinder taper, typically causes black exhaust. Check your oil, if it's milky, head gasket. Also, when the engine is cold, pull off the radiator cap and check for oil deposits in the opening and on the lip of the fill tube. These are both pretty good indications of a bad head gasket.

2000 Solar Yellow TJ
2000 Ford F250 Super Duty
2006 Volvo S40
1997 Arctic Cat ZRT 600

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-20-2017, 09:57 PM
Squarecat
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Help! 4.7 190k White Smoke from exhaust!

You could get your oil tested by Blackstone Labs.

My 2004 WJ had white puffs on warm startup a couple times last year right after I got it. I read about the 4.7 head gaskets (mine's an HO, FWIW) but frankly, I didn't do anything more about it. Oddly enough it never reoccurred.

I finally sent in an oil sample for testing earlier this summer and luckily it came back negative for any coolant.

Anyway, the point is even if you aren't as fortunate to dodge a bullet, at least you can know definitively what's chemically going on with your engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 6 Old 08-20-2017, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
dangerzone500
2000 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses2564 View Post
Head gasket. Blow-by, or oil bypassing worn piston rings usually through a cylinder taper, typically causes black exhaust. Check your oil, if it's milky, head gasket. Also, when the engine is cold, pull off the radiator cap and check for oil deposits in the opening and on the lip of the fill tube. These are both pretty good indications of a bad head gasket.
Ok, thanks. I will check tomorrow.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-20-2017, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
dangerzone500
2000 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squarecat View Post
You could get your oil tested by Blackstone Labs.

My 2004 WJ had white puffs on warm startup a couple times last year right after I got it. I read about the 4.7 head gaskets (mine's an HO, FWIW) but frankly, I didn't do anything more about it. Oddly enough it never reoccurred.

I finally sent in an oil sample for testing earlier this summer and luckily it came back negative for any coolant.

Anyway, the point is even if you aren't as fortunate to dodge a bullet, at least you can know definitively what's chemically going on with your engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, if I don't end up finding out the cause, I will try that. Thanks!
post #6 of 6 Old 08-21-2017, 01:48 AM
sdg3205
2001 WJ 

Run a pressure test. If it doesn't hold pressure and you can't see any leaks, its probably dissipating into the combustion chamber.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.