Help: '02 Liftgate Struts Rusted / Can't Open - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Help: '02 Liftgate Struts Rusted / Can't Open

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-27-2013, 11:33 AM   #1
dyren

Help: '02 Liftgate Struts Rusted / Can't Open

Hello all,

I have a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo and I can't open the trunk more than about 6 inches! I will shamefully admit that I am quite inexperienced working on/maintaining my vehicle. I've come here hat in hand to ask your advice and find out whether there's anything I can do short of replacing the struts entirely. I have spent awhile searching for an answer but have not found a thread here or elsewhere that addresses my problem directly.

The latch opens the liftgate just fine but after opening it about 6" it just won't move any further. I can see visible rust on the struts and they appear to have zero motion to them.

1. Is it possible to alleviate some of this issue by applying oil or something to the strut or is this a bad idea/won't address the problem?

2. Is it inadvisable to remove the struts completely in order to open the trunk (which of course would have no support when open?)

3. If I'm forced to buy two new struts, is installation easy? It seems that each strut is attached by two bolts: one at either end.

I tried to take a photo but the lighting was bad and there's only a small gap through which you can see the strut due to the liftgate not opening much. The struts are pretty badly rusted.

Thank you for taking the time to read my thread and for any and all advice.

Cheers,
dyren

dyren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 11:47 AM   #2
formeraudi

New struts are dirt cheap. Just get new ones.
formeraudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 01:40 PM   #3
mycreativename
1999 WJ 

They're like 30 bucks for the set. Replace them once and they'll be good for another 5 years if not more. Once they're gone, there's no hope in repairing them. Just get some new ones: Here they are on Amazon.
mycreativename is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 03:55 PM   #4
dyren

Hit up the NAPA/Walker supply in my area and purchased 2 new liftgate struts for ~$18 each. The torx bit and rachet ran me $20 at Lowe's. Replacing them took about 15 minutes.

Thanks for your replies, formeraudi and mycreativename.
dyren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2013, 02:19 PM   #5
RT100
2001 WJ 

+1 on replacement, i have replaced the liftgate and the lift glass struts with shocks from amazon
RT100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.