Hello and WJ CRD Tech problem - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Hello and WJ CRD Tech problem

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-16-2013, 07:14 AM   #16
worth
2000 WJ 

Thanks 86cj74.2L ....... Have been struggling to find a 'break' etc.... If its a common earth issue (to those sensors) could hurt to take a new earth from one of the 'paroblem' sensors straight back to battery /thus giving a good common earth??? Is that logic sound????

D

worth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2013, 07:17 AM   #17
Thomahawk
2004 WJ 

Or straight to the nearest Good ground location would be your best option.
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/jeep-norway-2th-buildt-overland-upgrade-1813490/[/url]

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2013, 01:07 PM   #18
worth
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L View Post
I would trace out the 5v supply to all the sensors or look for the sensor ground.

It may be a bad sensor ground.

It may be the harness is lying on something that gets hot and has melted the wires and shorts out on occasion.

A volt meter on the 5v supply to a sensor effected at the time the MIL comes on will tell you next step.

Check 5v to the engine somewhere and also check the 5v to the sensor common pin on the connector.
Okay, have just had a brief play.... and am a bit confused!

One of the 'faults' is for the MAF sensor and another for the Turbo sensor.....

4 wires to the MAF connector....brown is ground. Getting a 14v reading when running at MAF sensor. Tried Turbo sensor.... brown ground here also...... Getting 14v here also..... Should this be part of the 5v system /running 5v? It is a merc unit so poss different to the petrol ones????

Confused!

Anyhoo, ran in a new ground to the MAF ground and back to battery and also body....neither cleared fault.....

Thanks for any help /thoughts on the above....
Unread 09-16-2013, 01:25 PM   #19
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Without a FSM for diesel model I can't rightly say it should or shouldn't be 5 volts.

When you read the 14v on the brown wire.......tell us where your meter leads were placed.

There should be a supply and ground in each connector.

With ignition on and connector pulled you could read across those two pins and see what you got for volts.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2013, 01:27 PM   #20
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

My sensors run 12.5ish volts when engine off and 14 ish engine running so I would suggest this is normal at least for those two sensors. Others such as the fuel rail pressure sensor def run at 5 v.
Unread 09-17-2013, 02:11 AM   #21
worth
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Without a FSM for diesel model I can't rightly say it should or shouldn't be 5 volts.

When you read the 14v on the brown wire.......tell us where your meter leads were placed.

There should be a supply and ground in each connector.

With ignition on and connector pulled you could read across those two pins and see what you got for volts.
Thanks for your continued help! Tried as you describe (pulled connector) and for MAF get (ground brown wire, supply green and red stripe) 12.5ish not running and 14+ish running..... Ditto turbo sensor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaitalia View Post
My sensors run 12.5ish volts when engine off and 14 ish engine running so I would suggest this is normal at least for those two sensors. Others such as the fuel rail pressure sensor def run at 5 v.
Thanks Alfaitalia Same as mine..... Guess I'll keep working through the sensors showing on the fault list

Keep the suggestions coming all....really appreciated!
Unread 09-17-2013, 06:05 AM   #22
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

May be it would be better to back probe the connector with it still connected. That way your seeing what the PCM is seeing.

Some MAF sensors are 4 wire and include a inlet air temp.
Unread 09-17-2013, 06:56 AM   #23
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
May be it would be better to back probe the connector with it still connected. That way your seeing what the PCM is seeing.

CRD's do have a 4 wire sensor. But they also have an air intake temp sensor on the bottom of the alloy intake manifold on the other side of the motor. I got so fed up cleaning the oily crap off it (it gets contaminated by the oil in the PCV and makes the car hesitant just off idle and at very high revs) that I vented the PCV to the atmosphere......have not cleaned it since!
Unread 09-17-2013, 10:05 AM   #24
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Vent the PCV to holes in the unibody.

Rust proofing
Unread 09-17-2013, 10:14 AM   #25
worth
2000 WJ 

Quote:

back probed both the turbo and MAF sensors...same readings (MIL on all time now). Our MAF is 4 wire. but think I've ID'd the supply and ground correctly (?).... strange one isn't it!?!
Unread 09-17-2013, 11:54 AM   #26
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Wonder where Tom is? He would have something of an answer for this one.

Sent from my iPad using my fingers
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 12:53 PM   #27
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Vent the PCV to holes in the unibody.

Rust proofing
No need....euro WJs are galvanised so we don't suffer much with the old golden body lightener!

Sent from the Dark Side using only the Force.
Unread 09-17-2013, 01:38 PM   #28
worth
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
back probed both the turbo and MAF sensors...same readings (MIL on all time now). Our MAF is 4 wire. but think I've ID'd the supply and ground correctly (?).... strange one isn't it!?!
Okay.....

just a quick update:

Crank pos sensor also 14ish volts.....

Has me stumped...as with the other two, surely this is the correct supply /must have okay ground????

Anyone know where the swirl motor actuator connector is (to check)? Can't reach the air con pump plug easily.....

D.
Unread 09-17-2013, 07:02 PM   #29
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth

Okay.....

just a quick update:

Crank pos sensor also 14ish volts.....

Has me stumped...as with the other two, surely this is the correct supply /must have okay ground????

Anyone know where the swirl motor actuator connector is (to check)? Can't reach the air con pump plug easily.....

D.
May be the fact you have 14v volts instead of 5v is your problem.

Unless the fact its a euro diesel and a overseas vehicle I don't know why it wouldn't be 5v for the sensors.
Unread 09-18-2013, 09:55 AM   #30
worth
2000 WJ 

Quote:
May be the fact you have 14v volts instead of 5v is your problem.

Unless the fact its a euro diesel and a overseas vehicle I don't know why it wouldn't be 5v for the sensors.
Alfaitalia may be able to shed some light on that? I know his prev post indicated 14v at the turbo and MAF.....

Anyone know what each should run at on a CRD /is there a list anywhere?

Possibly a slight red herring, but whilst testing (and its not on my 'fault' list), but the sensor going to the rear of the viscous heater pulley (I think) gave no reading /0v....is that correct?

D.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.