Hello and WJ CRD Tech problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Hello and WJ CRD Tech problem

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?

Unread 01-13-2013, 12:19 PM   #1
worth
2000 WJ 

Hello and WJ CRD Tech problem

Hi guys.... UK Jeep owner here. We run 3 x WJ's for work ..... 2x 4.0 and a CRD (Merc unit).

I am a Jeep convert and love the WJs (when they work properly) and use them 'properly' for my business which is boats and marine services.

I am lloking forward to the forum (found whilst googling) and hope (know its cheeky to go straight in with an issue, but really struggling) to be able to contribute as well as draw on all your knowledge.

We live in a very rural area and have NO Jeep experts locally

My current 'big' issue is with the CRD unit (Merc 2.7 engine).

Please can someone help /anyone had similar…..?
2002 Grand Cherokee CRD (2.7 Merc).

Symptoms: Jeep starts and runs fine from cold with turbo pulling well, after a while the turbo switches off with MIL light on, a switch off and on resets successfully a few times until it doesn’t any longer…..get home without turbo.
Restart next day and turbo back /same over again.

Because I had them, I have swapped out EGR and turbo actuator solenoid…..no change.

It is giving following fault codes:

P0100-MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR SIGNAL VOLTAGE TOO HIGH . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .20
P0100-MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR SIGNAL VOLTAGE TOO LOW . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .20
P0100-MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR SUPPLY VOLTAGE TOO HIGH OR LOW . . . . . .20

P0530-A/C PRESSURE SENSOR CIRCUIT SIGNAL VOLTAGE TOO HIGH . . . . . . .112
P0530-A/C PRESSURE SENSOR CIRCUIT SIGNAL VOLTAGE TOO LOW . . . . . . .112
P0530-A/C PRESSURE SENSOR CIRCUIT SUPPLY VOLTAGE TOO HIGH OR LOW. . .. .112

P0110-INTAKE AIR TEMP SENSOR CIRCUIT SIGNAL VOLTAGE TOO HIGH . . . . . .30
P0110-INTAKE AIR TEMP SENSOR CIRCUIT SIGNAL VOLTAGE TOO LOW. . . . . . .33

P0243-TURBOCHARGER WASTEGATE SOLENOID CIRCUIT OPEN CIRCUIT. . . . .64
P0243-TURBOCHARGER WASTEGATE SOLENOID CIRCUIT SHORT CIRCUIT . . .67

P0340-CMP/CKP POSITION SENSOR CIRCUIT - CKP DYNAMIC PLAUSIBILITY. . .71
P0340-CMP/CKP POSITION SENSOR CIRCUIT - CMP/CKP SYNC FAILURE . . . . . .74
P0340-CMP/CKP POSITION SENSOR CIRCUIT - SIGNAL FREQUENCY TOO HIGH . .77
P0340-CMP/CKP POSITION SENSOR CIRCUIT - STATIC PLAUSIBILITY . . . . . . . . .77

P0403-EGR SOLENOID CIRCUIT OPEN CIRCUIT . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
P0403-EGR SOLENOID CIRCUIT SHORT CIRCUIT . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

P1270-INTAKE PORT SWIRL ACTUATOR SHORT CIRCUIT . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .179
P1270-INTAKE PORT SWIRL ACTUATOR GROUND X. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
P1270-INTAKE PORT SWIRL ACTUATOR OPEN CIRCUIT . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .182

Any ideas? Is my ‘guess’ that this may be a damaged loom /connection correct? Any idea where to start looking? Any /all help MOST greatly appreciated!!

Many thanksin anticipation!! Dan

worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 12:29 PM   #2
wjjeepman34
2004 WJ 

I don't know much about the diesels, but sounds like you have a common WJ problem in general-electrical.
First thing to look at is your battery terminals. Make sure they are clean as a whistle. Jeeps don't like shabby electrical connections, and if you have one, it will cause all sorts of weird problems.
Second thing is to check your battery, alternator, and the power/ground wires going to/from them. Again, make sure every connection isn't corroded.
If all that checks out, I would just start checking all the grounds on the vehicle, and then it may be a pcm problem.
Hope you find your issue and get it working correctly again!

Oh, and welcome!
Unread 01-13-2013, 03:27 PM   #3
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

The turbo cannot "turn off" as its being driven by the exhaust gases so the if the motor is running the turbo is spinning. If you mean no boost then it must be the waste gate being open and bleeding the boost away... you have a code for that too. The actuator controls the the level of boost at dif revs but cannot cut boost completely. Waste gate solenoId would be my guess without seeing it.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using JeepForum
Unread 01-14-2013, 06:29 AM   #4
worth
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjeepman34 View Post
I don't know much about the diesels, but sounds like you have a common WJ problem in general-electrical.
First thing to look at is your battery terminals. Make sure they are clean as a whistle. Jeeps don't like shabby electrical connections, and if you have one, it will cause all sorts of weird problems.
Second thing is to check your battery, alternator, and the power/ground wires going to/from them. Again, make sure every connection isn't corroded.
If all that checks out, I would just start checking all the grounds on the vehicle, and then it may be a pcm problem.
Hope you find your issue and get it working correctly again!

Oh, and welcome!
Thanks :thumbs: .... I have checked /cleaned etc the battery connections and will contiue to go through the earths..... The weird thing is that it restarts each day okay then the problem develops..... I would have expected the issue to be there from the get go.....or does the computer take time to realise that it has the issues????

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaitalia View Post
The turbo cannot "turn off" as its being driven by the exhaust gases so the if the motor is running the turbo is spinning. If you mean no boost then it must be the waste gate being open and bleeding the boost away... you have a code for that too. The actuator controls the the level of boost at dif revs but cannot cut boost completely. Waste gate solenoId would be my guess without seeing it.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using JeepForum
Apologies for the terminology..... the actuator (controlled by the vacuum pump) is switching off when the MIL comes on..... have swapped out the vacuum pump itself and checked for leaks etc.... irt seems the ECU is switching it off (IMO????). The fact that there are so many issues showing makes me lean towards electrical issue.... or am I missing something?

Thanks again for the responses..... pleae anyone else reading this, keep them coming!!! This has me stumped! Dan
Unread 01-14-2013, 06:58 AM   #5
MadderThanMax

Phone Greg @the following... he's buried in Jeep...Born & Bred I think!!

http://www.4playjeep.com/index.php?_a=viewDoc&docId=2
MadderThanMax is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 08:06 AM   #6
worth
2000 WJ 

Update - AAaaaaaargggghhhh!

Thanks for the replies, had a long chat with Greg (have dealt with him before.....super nice guy!) but we are all scratchinbg our heads still.....

So far we have:

Replaced:
Vacuum solenoid (x2 - for turbo actuator and for EGR)
MAF Sensor
EGR valve

Have opened and cleaned all the connectors I can find.....

Have cleaned and replaced the earths:

- to main engine block from battery
- to wing (passenger side in UK) from battery
- to passenger wing no.2
- to drivers wing

I can't find anymore obvious ones....anybody any suggestions??

I have a turbo I could swap out, but tbh I think i'm grasping at straws as the solenoid is getting turned off /its working fine when the solenoid is allowing it to /when not in limp.

Fault codes remain and symptoms persist!

This is really starting to bug me..... anyone HEEEELLLLPPPP!!!

Thanks in advance.

Dan
Unread 01-30-2013, 08:24 AM   #7
MadderThanMax

You say "Replaced EGR" with a new one or secondhand? From what you describe I think and I may be wrong but your EGR is the fault.. Its causing the Turbo to over boost hence the signal to the solenoid to shut it down.

You say you have three WJ's all the same yes? Can you not sacrifice one as a donor to fault find on the other then restore when complete?

Doh! just read that the others are 4.0l - sorry :-(
Unread 01-30-2013, 08:58 AM   #8
worth
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadderThanMax View Post
You say "Replaced EGR" with a new one or secondhand? From what you describe I think and I may be wrong but your EGR is the fault.. Its causing the Turbo to over boost hence the signal to the solenoid to shut it down.

You say you have three WJ's all the same yes? Can you not sacrifice one as a donor to fault find on the other then restore when complete?

Doh! just read that the others are 4.0l - sorry :-(
Thanks MTM, the EGR was indeed used, but was believed to be okay (agree there is no guarantee)..... the weird thing is that the fault /MIL /solenoid switch off only occurs when at idle. If you keep the vehicle on boost then MIL doesn't come on..... does that make sense??
Unread 01-30-2013, 10:42 AM   #9
MadderThanMax

Was the Solenoid new or secondhand also??

Take the EGR of and soak it in carb cleaner and clean until spotless, then work the plunger and lubricate with 3in1 oil there should be a very strong resistance however you should still be able to move it.. I'd also go with AlfaItalia's opinion that the solenoid may be at fault.. can you take it of and trigger it? Does it smell burnt or acrid? if so its passed its best...It can only be in that area - if it was the ECU you probably wouldn't be able to run it..or at least stuck in Limp Home Mode..
Unread 01-30-2013, 11:27 AM   #10
worth
2000 WJ 

I'm pretty happy that the EGR is functioning as it should /its nice and clean....

The solenoid was second hand, but I've swapped (4 total) around and all seem to be doing what they are supposed....

I may swap out the solenoid from the new Turbo on Friday and see what happens.....

Will keep you posted!
Unread 01-30-2013, 12:11 PM   #11
1AAdam
2000 WJ 

CRD!!
1AAdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 12:57 PM   #12
MadderThanMax

Is there vacuum to operate the EGR??

And "Dang" Adam has found us again...:-(
Unread 06-12-2013, 02:44 AM   #13
alansweet
2002 FSJ Cherokee 

Hi Guys sorry to hijack your thred
Hope you can help i have the exact same problem as the one above i have a 2002 grand cherokee 2.7 CRD did you get it sorted i have done most of what has gone on above also removed the swirl flaps (not a nice job) kept the swirl motor though thinking about using a emulator to fool the ecu to think motor is still there
Thanks again
alansweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 12:36 PM   #14
worth
2000 WJ 

Wow... sorry for late reply!!!

No, never got to the bottom of this, bought another Jeep in for the season....BUT, still have the 'problem' one.... did you sort your problems??

Season now ended, so began poking around again..... its become a bit of a mission now tbh....can't let it beat me!

New battery installed, still giving same fault codes and MIL on at all times. Sent ECU away for testing and tests 100% okay.

Someone mentioned that the voltage reg in the Alternator can go bad.....next place to look?

Anyone reading this with fresh eyes able to add anything?

Best, Dan
Unread 09-15-2013, 02:34 PM   #15
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I would trace out the 5v supply to all the sensors or look for the sensor ground.

It may be a bad sensor ground.

It may be the harness is lying on something that gets hot and has melted the wires and shorts out on occasion.

A volt meter on the 5v supply to a sensor effected at the time the MIL comes on will tell you next step.

Check 5v to the engine somewhere and also check the 5v to the sensor common pin on the connector.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.