Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

heater core replacement

826 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  little_Jeep 
#1 ·
What are some good links for heater core replacement??? Thanks

#2 ·
#3 ·
It's not a hard job, just lots of screws and parts..... I did my 2000 WJ a year ago... Be smart, replace the heater core, AC Evap, blower motor, drier, and damper doors (if v-8) while you have your Jeep apart.. my AC is COLD.... my heat is HOT...... no fog on the windshield. :thumbsup: Trust me, this is a job you will want to do only once......

My 2000 WJ during Heater core / AC Evap replacement

#5 ·
I followed a step by step write up that I got the link to off this forum... I tore it apart on day one, put the new Evap, and heater core in the heater box, but left everything sitting on workbench until day two. I put it back together on day two. I worked alone, didn't work at any killer speed for sure. All the parts were ordered well in advance and were on hand before I ever started the job. I had about 12 - 15 hours involved total including cleanning/detailing the engine. I took it to local quick oil change place and they hooked it to their computerized AC charging machine that did a complete evac and oil etc.... their little computer said my system was functioning at 100%.

Here is a pic of my engine bay.... not bad for a Jeep with 170k on the clock..

#6 ·
Sweet! I guess I'll start gathering parts slowly. For now everything seems to be working in terms of AC and heating, but AC drain leaks on the inside and I really want to get it fixed. Oh well, one step at a time. For now it's just some basic maintenance, so far apart from regular engine oil&filter changes i changed tranny fluid&filters and now i have everything i need to change oil in both diffs & transfer case (plus regular oil&filter change for the engine).

Nice looking engine bay, I wish mine looked half as decent :)

#8 ·
Just as a counter to the do-it-yourself plan...
I'm a pretty fair home mechanic but chose to farm this one out.
I paid the guy about $1100 to do the job, which included 6 hours of his labor, the rest being parts, a/c recharge, etc.

I felt that the $600 or so in labor was quite a good deal. I'm sure it would have taken me at least twice that long.
I probably would have done it myself if I didn't know and trust the mechanic.

tomk

#9 ·
$600 in labor is a good deal. To be fair, the more of these you do, the quicker you should be able to do them... even so, $600 labor is good. However, everytime I have ever had someone else work on my Jeep, I get pissed off,,, I don't care who the paid mechanic is, if there is a hard to get to bolt to put back in, the mechanic will just toss it. Not me. A friend had a professional mechanic work on his Jeep, afterwards there was 4 bolts missing and a small leak around a hose clamp. I'm not going to pay $75.00 plus per hour of labor then have to worry about what short cuts the mechanic took because he didn't think I would know the difference. :mad::mad:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.