Heater core blues - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Heater core blues

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-19-2013, 10:41 AM   #31
TheSiltSurfer
2012 WK 

@ least I'm not alone on this issue, bypassing it right now. The poor dub has other things that need fixing & the heater core can wait till its warmer out to fix it up.

Unread 02-19-2013, 10:45 AM   #32
adavis39
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSiltSurfer View Post
@ least I'm not alone on this issue, bypassing it right now. The poor dub has other things that need fixing & the heater core can wait till its warmer out to fix it up.
i may bypass mine on friday while ive got it at my shop doing some suspension work to it.....just dont feel like spending a weekend doing the job right now. but we will see. I hate having things broken on my jeep
TNJEEPS.COM

BUILD: [B][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/utwj-build-other-crap-1399123/[/url][/B]

[B]"In a world that he did not create, but he will go through it as if it is his own creation. Half man, half beast, whatever it is it is weird, it is ticked off and it calls itself Slash"[/B]
adavis39 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2013, 11:06 AM   #33
TheSiltSurfer
2012 WK 

Yup damn heater core I knew it was going to fail when I purchased this dub last year. Now our carpets are all freaking soaked and need a mad soap cleaning, the windshield has a huge ****ing crack from a random chip, the exhaust needs to be replaced, hopefully Thursday! along with rear a arm and front control arms. Godbless you Jeep this song comes to mind http://youtu.be/K-34Fdtg1dI
Unread 02-19-2013, 11:51 AM   #34
gkbid
2004 WJ 

When my heater core went out I also replaced the evaporator. I'd previously pulled the dash for the blend door replacement and didn't want to have to do it a third time. Since you lose the freon when you remove the HVAC I thought it would be a smart move. My only regret was not also replacing the foam gasket on the HVAC casing. After 11 years it was pretty well shot, now my wife complains about cold air around her feet while at highway speeds.

PS: Would love to tell you it was a simple 3 hour job but with me doing it solo and fighting my bifocals it was a two day project...

Past Jeeps: 2001 WJ 4.7 Ltd / 1999 WJ 4.7 Ltd / 1993 ZJ 5.2 GW, 1988 XJ 4.0 Ltd
gkbid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2013, 12:04 PM   #35
adavis39
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkbid View Post
When my heater core went out I also replaced the evaporator. I'd previously pulled the dash for the blend door replacement and didn't want to have to do it a third time. Since you lose the freon when you remove the HVAC I thought it would be a smart move. My only regret was not also replacing the foam gasket on the HVAC casing. After 11 years it was pretty well shot, now my wife complains about cold air around her feet while at highway speeds.

PS: Would love to tell you it was a simple 3 hour job but with me doing it solo and fighting my bifocals it was a two day project...
yeah, going to just bite the bullet and do all 3 at the same time. I KNOW i wont wanna do this again anytime soon
TNJEEPS.COM

BUILD: [B][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/utwj-build-other-crap-1399123/[/url][/B]

[B]"In a world that he did not create, but he will go through it as if it is his own creation. Half man, half beast, whatever it is it is weird, it is ticked off and it calls itself Slash"[/B]
Unread 02-19-2013, 12:08 PM   #36
TheSiltSurfer
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavis39

yeah, going to just bite the bullet and do all 3 at the same time. I KNOW i wont wanna do this again anytime soon
Damn think ill have to replace all 3 now myself
Unread 02-19-2013, 12:10 PM   #37
adavis39
2002 WJ 

you can get all 3 components ( heater core, ac evap and blend door kit) from rock auto shipped for $150
TNJEEPS.COM

Unread 02-19-2013, 12:13 PM   #38
TheSiltSurfer
2012 WK 

Quote:
you can get all 3 components ( heater core, ac evap and blend door kit) from rock auto shipped for $150
Bingo! Definitely doing it all then, does that include that foam to seal it also?
Unread 02-19-2013, 12:21 PM   #39
adavis39
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSiltSurfer View Post
Bingo! Definitely doing it all then, does that include that foam to seal it also?
not sure on that one
TNJEEPS.COM

Unread 02-19-2013, 12:41 PM   #40
gkbid
2004 WJ 

My strong suspicion is that the foam HVAC gasket is a dealer item. I wonder if anyone has just used a tube of silicone or comparable?... might be kinda messy though.

Past Jeeps: 2001 WJ 4.7 Ltd / 1999 WJ 4.7 Ltd / 1993 ZJ 5.2 GW, 1988 XJ 4.0 Ltd
gkbid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2013, 03:38 PM   #41
bradywgn71
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkbid View Post
My strong suspicion is that the foam HVAC gasket is a dealer item. I wonder if anyone has just used a tube of silicone or comparable?... might be kinda messy though.
Just use something like this from Home Depot:

Unread 02-19-2013, 03:59 PM   #42
adavis39
2002 WJ 

ive got coolant leaking from near my front lower control arm now (body mount side) and I have Clayton long arms so its pretty far back there.....cant track down the source though. Guess i gotta get this heater core replaced sooner than later
TNJEEPS.COM

Unread 02-19-2013, 06:52 PM   #43
TheSiltSurfer
2012 WK 

Ok guys I had bypassed the core, now I notice a leak above my steering box driver front wheel side!?! What could this be? I checked the hose looks tight? Ideas any? Please and thank you
image-3847671947.jpg  
Unread 02-19-2013, 07:07 PM   #44
adavis39
2002 WJ 

where did you bypass at? fire wall or near the thermostat?
TNJEEPS.COM

Unread 02-19-2013, 07:15 PM   #45
TheSiltSurfer
2012 WK 

Quote:
where did you bypass at? fire wall or near the thermostat?
I had my friend bypass it for me while I was working not sure where he did he damn! Lol let me take a look

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.