Heater core blues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Heater core blues

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 02-04-2013, 12:14 AM   #1
TheSiltSurfer
2012 WK 

Just found out our heater core is going out FML! The coolant is on floor boards!
What would this Cost to repair it myself?
Can we still drive it in this current condition safely? Not running the Heater ect?
I know the job is a nightmare with dash removal ect. Thanks now any input would be awesome don't have the $right now to have a mechanic do it would probably cost over $1000 am I wrong? Thanks guys

Unread 02-04-2013, 12:29 AM   #2
USFORCES
2004 WJ 

If you do it yourself the price of the heater core, lol
You may as well do the blend door while your at it. There are videos on youtube on removing the dash in a WJ. Think the dealer charges $2000.00 Not sure how much it would cost at other shops but I'd think most places would charge $800 or more to do it.
Unread 02-04-2013, 12:33 AM   #3
xj-gman
2000 XJ Cherokee 

For a shop it's about 500 to do but that's just at the shop I work out of, doing it yourself is the best way to go and it's not very difficult it's just annoying and time consuming but you can do it . But you can for the moment just by pass the heater core itself and still be able to drive it with no harm done what so ever
xj-gman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2013, 12:33 AM   #4
TheSiltSurfer
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by USFORCES
If you do it yourself the price of the heater core, lol
You may as well do the blend door while your at it. There are videos on youtube on removing the dash in a WJ. Think the dealer charges $2000.00 Not sure how much it would cost at other shops but I'd think most places would charge $800 or more to do it.
Yeah I just ran through dozens of threads and the dealer cost is re donkulous and most experienced guys who have replaced it recommend the blend door also, which I still fully don't understand how it works something with the dual climate correct? Thanks man looks like I have my first spring project in order
Unread 02-04-2013, 12:35 AM   #5
TheSiltSurfer
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj-gman
For a shop it's about 500 . But you can for the moment just by pass the heater core itself and still be able to drive it with no harm done what so ever
Awesome key info here its my fiancés wj and we're still getting snow here so she will have to dress warm to keep driving it ;P till I fix it next month hopefully. Thanks!
Unread 02-04-2013, 12:41 AM   #6
USFORCES
2004 WJ 

It's still going to leak with it on or off if it's barely leaking I'd try it on slow and hopefully your windows don't steam up.
Unread 02-04-2013, 12:54 AM   #7
TheSiltSurfer
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by USFORCES
It's still going to leak with it on or off if it's barely leaking I'd try it on slow and hopefully your windows don't steam up.
Ok, try what now on slow? Lol or do you mean low, damn. & I think the leak is heavy, or my fiancé has just been basting the heat On High like I know she does haha damn WJs!
Unread 02-04-2013, 01:14 AM   #8
USFORCES
2004 WJ 

Slow, I'd think it would be dangerous driving without defrost in the winter...
Unread 02-04-2013, 05:22 AM   #9
Kalidor

Did this job a few weeks ago. Was not that hard. I put it off for a year because I thought it would be horrible job to do. That was stupid of me, really was not that bad just follow the step by step instructions from wjjeeps and watch the u-tube video. I spread the job over two days but if I had to do it again. I think I could do it in 4-6 hrs.
Kalidor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2013, 06:12 AM   #10
Shaggs2Dope
1999 WJ 

I've got the same thing. My passenger carpet gets damp and I have to add coolant every month or so. I'm going to do the heater core when I have the time but my heat still works it just isn't too hot. And my windows tend to fog real easy. Just keep and eye on temperature and coolant level and fix when you can.
Unread 02-04-2013, 06:59 AM   #11
Prickett10
Daddy dubJ

2000 WJ 

If you let it go to long it will start to vaporize at operating temp. The antifreeze vapor will fill the cab unless you crack a window, it can't be healthy to breath that in. I waited way to long to fix mine. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, especially with the YouTube videos to help. Heater core cost me $60.00, a shop wanted $950.00.

If you are passing through Grand Junction anytime soon I'll give you a hand. I have a nice warm shop and all the tools.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #271 2000 4.7L WJ
1980 Ford F100 4.9L I6 <------- My baby

Man makes the weather then stands in the rain and says S*** its rainin
Prickett10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2013, 10:09 AM   #12
TheSiltSurfer
2012 WK 

Thanks for all the input guys I will definitely be doing this myself, I really want to keep this jeep and just need to fix some of these things to keep it safe & reliable for the girl thanks
Unread 02-04-2013, 10:11 AM   #13
TheSiltSurfer
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickett10
If you let it go to long it will start to vaporize at operating temp. The antifreeze vapor will fill the cab unless you crack a window, it can't be healthy to breath that in. I waited way to long to fix mine. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, especially with the YouTube videos to help. Heater core cost me $60.00, a shop wanted $950.00.

If you are passing through Grand Junction anytime soon I'll give you a hand. I have a nice warm shop and all the tools.
I might have to take you up on the offer in grand junction it's possible we could be out there next month well see. I briefly went through the YouTube vids definitely will help me from not destroying all the plastic lol. A warm shop and tools would be amazing, it's bad enough I put the IRO kit and all new steering on in freezing weather. Thanks again
Unread 02-04-2013, 02:44 PM   #14
Prickett10
Daddy dubJ

2000 WJ 

PM me if your serious man. Always glad to help a fellow keeper
Colorado Jeep Club Member #271 2000 4.7L WJ
1980 Ford F100 4.9L I6 <------- My baby

Man makes the weather then stands in the rain and says S*** its rainin
Prickett10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2013, 04:16 PM   #15
mattcofc
2000 WJ 

It ran me about $700 at Firestone, dealer wanted over a grand to do it.
mattcofc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.