heater and ac problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > heater and ac problems

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 07-18-2014, 08:59 PM   #1
bigrd991

heater and ac problems

hey my heater and my ac will only blow out of the two center vents very weakly. you can here the blower going but its not getting out the vents and it wont switch to anything else but the vents. my girlfriend said she can feel air coming out threw the glove box and a little on the floor. any info will help out

bigrd991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2014, 09:21 PM   #2
02laredoTX
2002 WJ 

Mine got stuck on defrost once turned out a vacuum line came loose on the throttle body.
Do you have the auto climate controls or manual? Mine are manual. Might be different for the auto. Good luck.
02laredoTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2014, 09:25 PM   #3
bigrd991

I have checked the vacuum lines but mine isn't on defrost like it would be its the to center vents
bigrd991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2014, 09:06 AM   #4
hotcobra03

Just got done working on a friend's jeep..

hers had 3 broken doors...the whole dash has to come back to fix..

there is a tsb on doors breaking...we went to junk yard and pulled used doors..
hotcobra03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2014, 11:38 AM   #5
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Eh? You went to all the trouble to pull the whole dash out....hours of work...to put on used car yard blend doors that will probably fail real soon....when for not a lot of dollars you could buy brand new alloy doors that will last the life of the car? You must have way too much free time on your hands my friend if you want to do that again anytime soon.
Do it right and do it once. Mine were done through the glove box in about forty minutes...two years ago and have been good as gold....of course you cannot do the recirc door that way.

Sent from the Dark Side using only the Force.
Unread 07-19-2014, 08:57 PM   #6
hotcobra03

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaitalia View Post
Eh? You went to all the trouble to pull the whole dash out....hours of work...to put on used car yard blend doors that will probably fail real soon....when for not a lot of dollars you could buy brand new alloy doors that will last the life of the car? You must have way too much free time on your hands my friend if you want to do that again anytime soon.
Do it right and do it once. Mine were done through the glove box in about forty minutes...two years ago and have been good as gold....of course you cannot do the recirc door that way.

Sent from the Dark Side using only the Force.
It took 30mins to pull dash and hvac solo..its a friends truck..it had more issues..

she got it used 3yrs ago...it had no heat or air..prior owner had someone work on it before..

Fan motor was rewired into a different fan control...it made it spin reverse..

Truck also had major short causing windows to stop and other items..

owner is lucky to afford gas ...and is a single mom with 3 kids...

And to help out a friend time isnt a thought
hotcobra03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2014, 06:29 AM   #7
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

30mins....how? Never done it myself but many on here claim 6 or 7 hours to remove/ install a dash. What the secret? Any short cuts you would like to share.....I live in dread of the day my heater core leaks and I need to tear the dash out.
Unread 07-20-2014, 08:05 PM   #8
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcobra03 View Post
It took 30mins to pull dash and hvac solo..
Do tell how you did that!

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2014, 08:39 AM   #9
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrd991 View Post
hey my heater and my ac will only blow out of the two center vents very weakly. you can here the blower going but its not getting out the vents and it wont switch to anything else but the vents. my girlfriend said she can feel air coming out threw the glove box and a little on the floor. any info will help out
You said it best yourself.

What year and trim model WJ do you have? Depending on what HVAC control setup you have will determine what diagnostics steps we give you.

At the very least, please fill out your vehicle profile. It can be done by clicking on the 'My Account' link at the top of the page, then clicking on 'My Profile', then clicking 'Edit' in the field under 'bigrd991's Jeep'. Year, trim, and engine will be the 3 items we need most.

Quote:
Just got done working on a friend's jeep..

hers had 3 broken doors...the whole dash has to come back to fix..

there is a tsb on doors breaking...we went to junk yard and pulled used doors..
I would have done both of you a favor and ponied up for these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You get the thicker upgraded drive connector stops that are the root cause of the blend and recirc doors breaking. For less than $100 it's far cheaper than the all aluminum alternatives that are being sold.

I get that cash can be tight, but buy once, cry once.

Quote:
It took 30mins to pull dash and hvac solo..its a friends truck..it had more issues..
I call BS on '30 minute removal', an hour is doable, especially if you've done it before (I've done 3 heater cores, 1 ZJ and 2 WJ). Although I suppose if you're only trying to access the blend doors you could get away with only pulling the passenger side of the dash away from the firewall.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2014, 09:13 AM   #10
JohnnyV
2002 WJ 

Jeeples, are you saying fixes like the treater heater are not the way to go?
JohnnyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2014, 10:56 AM   #11
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyV View Post
Jeeples, are you saying fixes like the treater heater are not the way to go?
I think the all aluminum doors are a nice quality part, however I think it's a little overkill as the doors only break after the drive connector stop tabs break. I also think that the aluminum doors can be overpriced.

When I replaced my doors, I decided beforehand that I was just going to replace all of them, even though my AZC codes were for the recirc door only. Pricing out the kits (that kept full AZC function) available it was going to cost me ~$150 for all three doors. Given that I was also buying a new heater core and had some A/C parts that needed to be replaced, I was having a hard time justifying $300-$400 in HVAC parts for a WJ that I purchased for $900.

That being said, someone had replaced the blend doors in my WJ at some point, as they were replaced with the Mopar Upgrade kit, which includes the upgraded drive connector stop tabs (4MM thick vs. 3MM) and new blend doors. The driver's blend door is plastic like OE, but the passenger side blend door is aluminum. The weird thing was that they only replaced one drive connector, the passenger side was the older design with the thinner stop tab. Coincidentally that is the drive connector that can only be accessed by fully removing the HVAC sub-assembly, as it sits right up against the firewall.

For me, I opted to save a few bucks and try one of the little used blend door repair kits available. Also, I have two other vehicles at my disposal, so should I have a blend door failure in the future, I can afford to park my WJ and make repairs at my leisure. If it were my only vehicle, I may have opted for the more 'bombproof' all aluminum doors and drive connectors.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2014, 10:52 PM   #12
akoutdoors1
2000 WJ 

As someone who is potentially about to do this job also, my research says also replace the heater core and the A/C evaporator while the dash is out. The previous owner of my WJ had the heater core replaced but didn't do the A/C evap while in there. Bad juju.
akoutdoors1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.