Heated seat recall- anyone have experience with this? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Heated seat recall- anyone have experience with this?

Spartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-31-2009, 09:19 AM   #1
jtgrand
2004 WJ 

Heated seat recall- anyone have experience with this?

I went to the dealer to have the seat recall done. Two hours later I got my Jeep back with pieces of foam all over the carpet, wires hanging below the seats, and the seats not heating properly anymore. My question is, has anyone had this done- the letter said something about the elements catching on fire because of a short- otherwise I'd never have taken it in. The seats worked great before. Now it feels like the elements are in the wrong places and I'm wondering if they just crammed them in there, but I'm not sure what exactly the element consists of. Is it simply a wire, or is it for lack of a better term, a sheet of plastic that I can move around? I'm not taking it back to the dealer.

jtgrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2009, 09:24 AM   #2
spadedwj
2002 WJ 

i have an 02 and my driver side has never worked i bought it used and never checked it because i bought it in the spring. i havent heard of any of them catching fire. i would take my gc back up to the dealer and ream the head mechanic and get it fixed for free. happy trails
spadedwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2009, 09:27 AM   #3
chrisstromberg
2004 WJ 

I had my jeep in for service a year and a half ago. They did the recall without asking me, which I guess is fine but my wife really liked that the seats got really really hot, and now they don't get quite as hot as they used to. The dealer I took it to (Desert Jeep in Las Vegas) did a perfect job.

The element is a big black sticker (for lack of a better term) that can be unstuck and relocated if they put it in the wrong place. Just remove the seat cover and you'll see it.

edit: I asked the service manager if he had ever personally seen one catch on fire, and he said no, but it must have happened somewhere. In vegas no one uses seat heaters though.
chrisstromberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2009, 09:46 AM   #4
spadedwj
2002 WJ 

recall on both the seats? if so im gettin mine fixed its cold in stl
spadedwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2009, 10:28 AM   #5
chrisstromberg
2004 WJ 

yeah both seats
chrisstromberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2009, 10:30 AM   #6
Jeep1384
2004 WJ 

The recall is for both front seats. The old design is a cloth with wires run through out on the center of the bottom seat and center of lower back. The new design is like what chris said a black plastic sticker type piece in the same location but the new style also adds elements on the outside edges of the bottom covers more of your outside thigh area. I saw one or two that actually caught fire burned the foam and burned right through the leather. If you don't want to take the risk of getting burned than i would do the recall if not and it burns, everything that is burned gets replace for free under the recall. One i did got all new foam and leather on the one seat. I did it on my 04 soon after bought it just because we were slow at work one day. I never used the old style since i bought the jeep in summer so i can't compare heat output.

Last edited by Jeep1384; 01-31-2009 at 10:50 AM..
Jeep1384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2009, 06:10 AM   #7
Turbonut

Just keep in mind, the recall is for 2003/2004 model years only.

2003-2004 (WJ) Jeep® Grand Cherokee
NOTE: This notification applies only to the above vehicles equipped with heated front seats (sales code JRH, JTF or JTG) built after September 10, 2002.
Turbonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2009, 06:44 AM   #8
ntaousakis
1999 WJ 

yup both seats. THey over heat and there have been scenaries of fires. I had to do this sometimes when I worked at a dealership
Unread 02-01-2009, 09:17 AM   #9
jtgrand
2004 WJ 

That's what I was wondering. I think they got the "sticker" bunched up or folded on the driver seat by trying to cram it in there without removing the covers. Is it possible to remove the leather cover without ruining anything? I didn't see a zipper or anything, does it just slip off? They definitely don't get as hot as they used to, low is barely noticable anymore and it feels like the heat is not as spread out as before.
jtgrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2009, 10:50 AM   #10
Turbonut

Easiest way is to remove the plactic side covering, lay the back down so that you have access to the rear side bolt that can be removed when the seat is out of the Jeep, remove the 4 bolts and wiring and remove the seat.Take the back off, turn the seat portion upside down and undo the rings and plastic hold downs, then you will be able to peel the leather off.

Give the intro a few seconds, but this will give you some idea, although it demonstrates the installation of Katzkin Leather interior in a F150:

Actually installed the complete Katzkin Leather interior in our knock around vehicle, a 2008 Kia Optima.
Turbonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2009, 09:46 AM   #11
kbwalker1974

My passenger seat was on fire

Went out to the Jeep about a half hour after my husband got home. Opened the door threre was a horriable smell and looked at the seat and saw smoke coming out of it. I could see there was a brown hot spot on the seat and freaked out ran inside to get a bucket of water to pour on the seat. Told my hubby and he came running out to see what I was freaking out about. Could not get it to stop smoking had to cut the leather seats to get to the heater. By then it was on fire. We poured more water on it and got it out. I will be contacting my dealer today. I was informed that this was fixed at out last appt we had with them. Thank god i had to get something out of our jeep. It could of caught our house on fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!
kbwalker1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2009, 09:56 AM   #12
CaribouLouWJ
2007 WK 

Woah, thats crazy. Got any pics of your heated seat/BBQ?
2001.5 B5S4 500awhp gutted track car
2002 WJ Limited
4.7 HO, 6.5" LA, 37's, JK 44's SOLD
CaribouLouWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2009, 02:27 PM   #13
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbwalker1974 View Post
Went out to the Jeep about a half hour after my husband got home. Opened the door threre was a horriable smell and looked at the seat and saw smoke coming out of it. I could see there was a brown hot spot on the seat and freaked out ran inside to get a bucket of water to pour on the seat. Told my hubby and he came running out to see what I was freaking out about. Could not get it to stop smoking had to cut the leather seats to get to the heater. By then it was on fire. We poured more water on it and got it out. I will be contacting my dealer today. I was informed that this was fixed at out last appt we had with them. Thank god i had to get something out of our jeep. It could of caught our house on fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!
X2 I would like to see thaat. on another note, I'm glad you, your hubby, your Jeep, and your home are all okay.

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2009, 05:56 PM   #14
Ric02WJ
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbonut View Post
Just keep in mind, the recall is for 2003/2004 model years only.

2003-2004 (WJ) Jeep® Grand Cherokee
NOTE: This notification applies only to the above vehicles equipped with heated front seats (sales code JRH, JTF or JTG) built after September 10, 2002.
darn, the heated passenger seat on my 02 WJ is not working. Not that I really care, but at -30c, my wife care
Unread 02-02-2009, 06:16 PM   #15
CaribouLouWJ
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric02WJ View Post
darn, the heated passenger seat on my 02 WJ is not working. Not that I really care, but at -30c, my wife care
Yeah, I feel your pain, neither of mine work. Thank god it was 80 deg out today
2001.5 B5S4 500awhp gutted track car
2002 WJ Limited
4.7 HO, 6.5" LA, 37's, JK 44's SOLD
CaribouLouWJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.