Heated seat not working, wires cut - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Heated seat not working, wires cut

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 03-05-2013, 07:25 PM   #1
kingmeirl
2003 WJ 

Heated seat not working, wires cut

I just got an 03 limited today. I knew the heated seat on the driver side didn't work, but I assumed I could fix it easily. Well how wrong was I!! I pulled the driver seat and saw that some connectors were hanging. I thought , "sweet ill just plug those back in.". Well I tried to find where they were plugged in at and I found a bunch of cut wires. Great. I have searched and searched for a wiring diagram ( Google, alldata, here) but was just unable to locate one that helped. I snapped a few pictures so maybe someone can help me get this fixed. Also, WTH would someone do this?? Jeez, my wife is talking to me right now but I have no idea what she is saying... Something about cake boss. Someone tell her I got a new jeep and I'm busy. Lol

forumrunner_20130305_212414.jpg   forumrunner_20130305_212422.jpg   forumrunner_20130305_212430.jpg   forumrunner_20130305_212437.jpg   forumrunner_20130305_212457.jpg  

forumrunner_20130305_212510.jpg  
kingmeirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 07:52 PM   #2
gsmullin
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmeirl View Post
I just got an 03 limited today. I knew the heated seat on the driver side didn't work, but I assumed I could fix it easily. Well how wrong was I!! I pulled the driver seat and saw that some connectors were hanging. I thought , "sweet ill just plug those back in.". Well I tried to find where they were plugged in at and I found a bunch of cut wires. Great. I have searched and searched for a wiring diagram ( Google, alldata, here) but was just unable to locate one that helped. I snapped a few pictures so maybe someone can help me get this fixed. Also, WTH would someone do this?? Jeez, my wife is talking to me right now but I have no idea what she is saying... Something about cake boss. Someone tell her I got a new jeep and I'm busy. Lol
Hard to understand why anyone would do that: booster amp install? Try a salvage yard: get a "clip" of the connectors you need and splice in, or simply splice direct after cutting off the other side's connectors. Test heating elements with an ohmmeter. Sorry, I don't have a circuit diagram or the resistance specs.

mully

Last edited by gsmullin; 03-05-2013 at 08:11 PM..
gsmullin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 08:05 PM   #3
kingmeirl
2003 WJ 

I was planning on just cutting the plugs off, but what wires connect to each other? There are a bunch of reds, whites, and blacks on the seat side. Body side are wildly different. I could list the colors, but I just took some pics instead.
Unread 03-05-2013, 08:28 PM   #4
gsmullin
1999 WJ 

Quote:
I was planning on just cutting the plugs off, but what wires connect to each other? There are a bunch of reds, whites, and blacks on the seat side. Body side are wildly different. I could list the colors, but I just took some pics instead.
If you like, I'll have a look at the connections on my `99 tomorrow and post up a table of the connections.

mully
Unread 03-05-2013, 08:34 PM   #5
kingmeirl
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmullin View Post

If you like, I'll have a look at the connections on my `99 tomorrow and post up a table of the connections.

mully
You sir will be my hero!
Unread 03-06-2013, 12:44 PM   #6
gsmullin
1999 WJ 

From your pics, it appears it's the four-wire connector on the seat side that's been cut (I hope I got that right). The color codes match up like this on my `99: (primary wire color/stripe)

Black/Orange to White
Gray/White to Black/Red
Black to Yellow
Light Blue/Black to Black/Red

Wires on the left are coming from the harness, wires on right from the seat elements

Now this is just my $0.02 worth, but if you check resistance through the seat heater wires and find open circuit, a new heating element should come with the proper connector installed, and your problem's fixed.

Hope this helps.

mully
Unread 03-06-2013, 01:07 PM   #7
dsodko
2002 WJ 

Wj

There are 3 Pull-A-Part yards in the Atlanta area. They are a good place to go for parts. Check out www.pullapart.com.
Since you have a WJ, search on Grand Cherokee. Look for '99-'04. Parts go quickly in their yards, check when the vehicle arrived on the yard. First come on parts. They are cheap on parts and some stuff can get a warranty.

Good Luck !
dsodko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 05:57 PM   #8
kingmeirl
2003 WJ 

Atlanta PAP has a few WJ's.
The wires coming from the seat back are in four connectors. Two gray and two black.
They gray ones have two whites, one black and one red.
The black ones have one red and one black.
The wires that are cut (body side) are:
Black/yellow stripe
Black

Light blue/black stripe
Brown/ white stripe
Black/orange stripe
Black

I also have a gray connector coming from the seat back with:
Green/ white stripe
Orange/ black stripe
I cut the connector off and connected them to:
Light green/ blue stripe
Yellow/ red stripe
This was in hopes of getting the lumbar to work. I connected those because that's how I read the wiring diagram. The lumbar still doesn't work.

I tested the resistance on the wires going to the seat back:
Black to red shows continuity on all connectors
White to white shows continuity only on individual connectors( not across the two connectors)

I'll test the body side wires in a bit.
Unread 03-06-2013, 06:14 PM   #9
kingmeirl
2003 WJ 

I should mention I have 10 way adjustable with memory. Also, I can't test the body side connectors cause I got in trouble for working on the jeep two nights in a row....
Unread 03-06-2013, 06:38 PM   #10
gsmullin
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Atlanta PAP has a few WJ's.
The wires coming from the seat back are in four connectors. Two gray and two black.
They gray ones have two whites, one black and one red.
The black ones have one red and one black.
The wires that are cut (body side) are:
Black/yellow stripe Connects to yellow on seat side
Black Connects to yellow

Light blue/black stripe Connects to Black/Red
Brown/ white stripe Mine's Gray/White, should connect to Black/Red
Black/orange stripe Connects to White
Black Connects to Yellow

I also have a gray connector coming from the seat back with:
Green/ white stripe Connects to Light green/Blue
Orange/ black stripe Mine's solid Orange, should connect to Yellow/Red
I cut the connector off and connected them to:
Light green/ blue stripe
Yellow/ red stripe
This was in hopes of getting the lumbar to work. I connected those because that's how I read the wiring diagram. The lumbar still doesn't work.

I tested the resistance on the wires going to the seat back:
Black to red shows continuity on all connectors
White to white shows continuity only on individual connectors( not across the two connectors)

I'll test the body side wires in a bit.
Notes in Red above.

mully
Unread 03-07-2013, 04:32 AM   #11
Shaggs2Dope
1999 WJ 

What about pulling your passenger seat and comparing the two.
Unread 03-08-2013, 07:15 AM   #12
kingmeirl
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmullin View Post

Notes in Red above.

mully
That's awesome, thanks for taking the time to do that. Hopefully I can look at it again tonight. Last night I plasti dipped hood stripes.
Unread 03-08-2013, 07:21 AM   #13
kingmeirl
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggs2Dope View Post
What about pulling your passenger seat and comparing the two.
That was the first thing I did! But to my dismay the wires on the pass seat are completely different, in both quantity and colors. I stopped by the dealer last night and asked them for some help but they were clueless. He said the wires on both sides of the connectors are the same colors and should mate up. If this is true then something like a controller or module was there and cut out or the seat elements were replaced with aftermarket.
Unread 03-08-2013, 08:16 AM   #14
Shaggs2Dope
1999 WJ 

Ah of course, it couldn't be that easy
Unread 03-08-2013, 08:34 AM   #15
gsmullin
1999 WJ 

Quote:
That was the first thing I did! But to my dismay the wires on the pass seat are completely different, in both quantity and colors. I stopped by the dealer last night and asked them for some help but they were clueless. He said the wires on both sides of the connectors are the same colors and should mate up. If this is true then something like a controller or module was there and cut out or the seat elements were replaced with aftermarket.
Direct-replacement elements will come terminated with plugs to match the harness: http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200...eater_pad.html; "retrofit" elements will have "universal" plugs: http://www.championseatheaters.com/c...Fc9AMgod-EcAyw. Perhaps someone attempted to install a "retrofit" element?

Forget what the dealer told you: fact is, as the info I posted shows, color codes are *not* the same on both sides of the connectors, nor are passenger and driver sides identical.

As a side note, if you look closely at the enlarged photos on the first link I show above, you can get an idea of how the element for the back is terminated differently from the bottom.

Have you run your VIN on the Jeep Owner's site to see if yours is affected by a seat heater recall?? Don't know what the dealer would say about the damaged harness, but if there was a recall, maybe they can help....

mully

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.