Heat only when accelerating. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Heat only when accelerating.

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 01-04-2014, 06:19 AM   #1
angry_bird
1999 WJ 

Heat only when accelerating.

Hi guys, i am having a problem with WJ jeep 1999 4.7

The car is heating only when i am accelerating.
If the car is standing still on the parking lot, heater blows cold air.
If i am revving the engine from 1000 to 2000 and back, or accelerating the heater starts working.
When driving, heating works-ish.

I checked the water pump. It looks normal, nothing broken or weird about it.
Flushed the heater core, about 4 times. I've also changed coolant. Every time I do this, I also bleed the system to get air out. Every time i flush it, heating works little bit better. After few days starts getting worse.

Is there anything else to check????
When I bought the car 8 months ago I had a leak, so I've used stop-leak product.
Which was a mistake, but I am new to this car repairing.

angry_bird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2014, 06:31 AM   #2
NotSoMelloYello
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Most likely your heater core is clogged and needs replacing. If you've blown it out a few times already that means the gunk is so thoroughly attached inside the heater core that it won't come out.

You may also consider trying to replace the thermostat first because it is a much cheaper part and much easier to replace.

Heater cores are a bear to replace, most of the time requiring the removal of 50% or more of the dashboard.

Good luck!
NotSoMelloYello is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2014, 09:32 AM   #3
cde02ltd

What you described is also what happens when you have a blown head gasket. Hope fully it is just a clogged heater core.
cde02ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2014, 09:45 AM   #4
NotSoMelloYello
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cde02ltd
What you described is also what happens when you have a blown head gasket. Hope fully it is just a clogged heater core.
A blown head gasket could cause the same but less likely if coolant level is staying consistent.
NotSoMelloYello is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2014, 10:35 AM   #5
cde02ltd

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoMelloYello
A blown head gasket could cause the same but less likely if coolant level is staying consistent.
Good point, you would also see you temperature gauge spike up at idle.
cde02ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2014, 01:11 PM   #6
4Tom
2001 WJ 

if you have pollen filter fitted check the filter. ( not fitted on all models )

If you have dual climate control there is heater flaps that regulate the air flow these might be sticking or broken

Do the self check of climate if there is a problem it will show error code. Site below will tell you how to put into test mode and what the error codes are.
http://www.wjjeeps.com/climate.htm

Tom
4Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2014, 01:45 PM   #7
three_jeeps
2004 WJ 

My first suggestion is to change the thermostat - easiest (relatively) and cheapest.

I have used the stop leak stuff in the distant past, and had no adverse effects if were used correctly. I've seen ppl think that if one can will work, two will work better....not a good idea.

If you say you flushed the heater core and it gets a little better,then that seems to indicate that each time you flush you dislodge some of the junk in the core...but I still find it hard to believe that it would plug up the core that much if used correctly, unless the core is in a very bad state already...

I don't know about the blown head gasket related symptoms, but the cause-effect seems reasonable tho...notice any oil in the cooling water? foamy oil? if so, head gasket has a leak.
I'd also do compression check/leakdown test to see if head gasket blown.

If you used the stop leak to cure water from the heater core, then I'd say the core is bad and needs to be replaced (15-16 yo jeep?- heater core is probably dead).

If not, I'd then suspect the waterpump...changing both wp and thermostat is a 3-4 hr job, maybe less if you have done it before...
Changing the heater core is a PITA - much of the dash needs to be torn apart....there are you tube videos that show how to do this, that are pretty good.

All this assumes that the blend doors are functioning normally....

good luck
three_jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2014, 09:49 AM   #8
angry_bird
1999 WJ 

Thank you, for all your answers

I've also changed the thermostat, which was unnecessary. Old one was good, temp was constantly at 100C (212F)

We've replaced blend doors. Passenger side door was broken when i bought the car, so replacing the heater core will not be a problem.

Coolant level is staying consistent. There is no blue smoke from exhaust, so I think head gasket is good.

I'll check the pollen filter. First need to find out what it is and where is it located.

I've used one can of stop leak. Guess I've used it the wrong way. Last time the heater worked was when I've put in the stop leak.

Every time, I back flush it with compressed air. Need to apply quite strong pressure. Last time I put apple vinegar in the heater core overnight. There was a lot of gunk in the heater core when I flushed it.

There is no oil in cooling water.

It is a very weird problem. I cannot figure out what is wrong. I will change the heater core and then we will see if that helped.

The car has 143 000 miles

Any other suggestions??
Unread 01-06-2014, 10:59 AM   #9
ZJPunk98
2002 WJ 

clogged heater core or air in the heater core causing low flow. When you back flush, use water instead of air. Water pump could be going.

98 ZJ 5.2L JGC Limited Sold
02 4.7L HO JGC Overland
ZJPunk98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2014, 05:28 AM   #10
angry_bird
1999 WJ 

I've replaced the heater core and everything works fine. Looks like the heater core was in such bad condition it got clogged everytime i flushed it.
Unread 02-25-2014, 01:11 PM   #11
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_bird
I've replaced the heater core and everything works fine. Looks like the heater core was in such bad condition it got clogged everytime i flushed it.
What was it clogged with?

Brown jelly?

Cut it open and find out.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2014, 03:24 PM   #12
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

I'll probably get flamed for this, but here goes: http://www.dreamsofdrifting.com/ae86/heater/index.htm

http://www.reactionchemicals.com/coo...tem-flush.html

http://www.prestone.com/products/print/424?popup=1

Remember to fill it back up with only a mixture of HOAT (The pinkish stuff, Zerex G-05 or buy it from the dealer) and water. Do not use the green stuff.

Sent from my iPad using electrons
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.