Headlights turning off and on by themselves - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Headlights turning off and on by themselves

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughHuge Soft top Sale

Unread 07-14-2011, 03:37 PM   #1
jeepmanalex
1999 WJ 

Headlights turning off and on by themselves

Hey guys I have a 99 WJ 4x4 4.7L and recently I had been having trouble with my jeep dying overnight for no apparent reason, then the other day I discovered, after replacing the old dead battery, that my jeep is turning the headlights on and off over and over. I have seen this at night and I am sure that it is doing it during the day too just havent actually seen it during the day. I am pretty sure this simply ruined my old battery by draining it too many times. I have seen other threads on this but nobody seems to know whats up here and I was hoping that maybe one of you has figured it out. I have never tampered with the headlights on the car by replacing bulbs or anything like that and I keep them set on auto all the time. I saw someone mention something about a possible worn out ignition but im not sure. Any suggestions or help u guys can give is greatly appreciated, thanks.

jeepmanalex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2011, 04:42 PM   #2
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Try turning off auto. It could be the light sensor.

Sent from my Atari 2600

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2011, 05:20 PM   #3
hxcjohnny
2002 WJ 

+1

my guess would be that its in the switch, or the sensor that automatically turns them on when it gets dark. I would try not using the automatic setting and just turn the lights completely off when you get out.
Unread 07-14-2011, 06:15 PM   #4
roach68
1999 WJ 

Mine will do the same thing if I leave it on auto. If I turn them off they stay off.
Unread 07-14-2011, 08:35 PM   #5
jeepmanalex
1999 WJ 

Alright i just went outside and turned it off auto, hopefully that will fix the problem for now but its so frustrating when stuff doesnt work the way its supposed to, thanks for your help guys I'll let you know if I figure it out farther than what you all have said.
Unread 07-14-2011, 09:06 PM   #6
WJguyinKC
2000 WJ 

Could very well be the ignition cylinder. I had the same problem and had to get a new battery as well. Then the ignition cylinder locked up and I broke a key off in it. After I replaced the cylinder and got new keys cut and coded, I haven't had the issue since. I hadn't thought of it since, but the posts reminded me of the sequence of events.
WJguyinKC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2011, 02:38 PM   #7
jeepmanalex
1999 WJ 

well i really hope that doesn't happen but I will definitely keep that in mind, really dont want to have to get a new key cut and coded 90 bucks for a key is ridiculous
Unread 07-15-2011, 02:41 PM   #8
bmandubj10
2003 WJ 

I hate the auto switch on the Jeep, I never use it, just stay away from the auto and see if that works.
- 2003 WJ Limited 4.7L 4x4, 3 inch IRO coil lift with Bilstein shocks, OME .5 inch spacers, adjustable IRO Track Bar. Beefy Tenneco Steering Stabilizer. 32 inch General Grabber AT2's, 5000k DDM Tuning HID lights. Magna Flow Cat-back exhaust system. Rola safari rack. IRO bump stops. Kevin's Offroad 2 1/4 A-Arm spacer.
bmandubj10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2011, 03:30 PM   #9
WJguyinKC
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmanalex
well i really hope that doesn't happen but I will definitely keep that in mind, really dont want to have to get a new key cut and coded 90 bucks for a key is ridiculous
Amen to that. The cylinder was super easy to replace, and 90 bucks got me 2 keys...of course it was another 90 to have them coded....
WJguyinKC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2011, 08:35 PM   #10
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Yeah... my auto switch is built into my left hand. Key to on, headlights to on.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2011, 07:13 AM   #11
hxcjohnny
2002 WJ 

do you guys know what part is going bad with the auto headlights? Is it the switch on the stalk, or is it the sensor?
Unread 07-16-2011, 08:56 AM   #12
TomClancy
2001 WJ 

Yeah, auto switch kept turning on my headlights in the middle of the day when I went under a bridge where there are shadows.
TomClancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2011, 03:11 PM   #13
jeepmanalex
1999 WJ 

Well it makes sense that the auto switch would turn your lights on in shadows under bridges because of the lower light level, i dont think that alone means that its broken so I am not sure whether or not the problem is in the sensor (which is located right on the top of the dash, its the front of the little red light that flashes when you lock the car) or in the switch itself, but mine was flipping on and off while i was in broad daylight, I could hear the clicking of the lights inside turning on an off with the headlights. As much as I love little convienient things like auto headlights it just proves that when this stuff breaks its a pain to fix, i dont see how people drive around in a lexus or mercedes etc. where the car has a mind of its own.
Unread 07-19-2011, 11:41 AM   #14
kiddull

The prob is with the multiplexer for all the buttons on the steering column. The voltage difference between on and auto is milivolts apart. When the battery is weak that multiplexer will turn your lights on and off. Had it happen a bunch on mine first time the battery was weak. Then about a year into my new battery it started happening again and found that that battery had a bad cell.
kiddull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2011, 04:34 PM   #15
radryan505
2002 WJ 

I have the same problem. Everyone says its the sensor, I hear my click on and off during the day. But mine will be ok for like... a month, then all the sudden start doing it again. Go with the off switch... quick and cheap fix.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d8...banner-1-1.jpg

Fetal Panic Ink---- Custom Shirts and Vinyl Decals----Fetalpanicink.com or Facebook Fetal Panic Ink.
radryan505 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.