Headlights - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Headlights

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 10-21-2010, 09:30 AM   #1
akaplaya0234
1999 WJ 

Wj Headlights

Hey guys,

I have a 99 WJ laredo and I recently put h.i.d.s in them and now my signal lights are acting up. The right side lights flash kind of light cop cars do and the left side only one bulb flashes. Do you guys have any idea of what it possibly could be?

akaplaya0234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2010, 01:29 PM   #2
Skytard
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Wired wrong??
Unread 10-21-2010, 02:17 PM   #3
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

where did you ground your HID kits to? They should have a separate ground from the other bulbs dont just plug them into the old headlight sockets and call it a day. HIDs are nowhere near plug and play.

PS if you treated them like plug n' play and just threw them in place of the original bulbs in factory housings without upgrading to projectors you need to fix that quickly and quietly

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2010, 04:30 PM   #4
99WJNM
1999 WJ 

no tell us did you did you....................................... J/P i am looking to upgrade to hid's and would love info on how this done
99WJNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2010, 05:05 PM   #5
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99WJNM View Post
no tell us did you did you....................................... J/P i am looking to upgrade to hid's and would love info on how this done
Lol well I told him to fix it quietly because people on here will flame you to hell for running HIDs in a housing meant for projectors. Realistically, you have to get a projector housing for the WJ which means either hacking apart the factory housings and mounting a DOT approved projector or getting aftermarket ones designed for HIDs

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
Unread 10-22-2010, 10:20 AM   #6
Amerce
1998 ZJ 

i run 6k HIDS that i bought from ebay for 40 dollars, they came with ballasts and are basically plug and play with a few extra plugs, i have halo projector housings and no ones complained and have not gotten pulled over.
Amerce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2010, 10:31 AM   #7
GregC6

I am also running the plug n play 6k kit
pull the headlights out, plug them in, put headlight back in and they work
I got my from DDM tuning $25+shipping
HID Kits, BMW Aftermarket Bumpers & Lighting, DEPO - DDM Tuning

they ship slow, but can't beat the price
GregC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2010, 10:51 AM   #8
akaplaya0234
1999 WJ 

Well they are plug and play ones literally. Its the same shown above from ddm tuning, i just happened to get mines from another vendor. I didn't have to disconnect anything except slip the new bulbs into the old socket and I didn't have to rewire anything. And don't worry they are not factory housings, I have some projectors for them.
Unread 10-22-2010, 10:59 AM   #9
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregC6 View Post
I am also running the plug n play 6k kit
pull the headlights out, plug them in, put headlight back in and they work
I got my from DDM tuning $25+shipping
they ship slow, but can't beat the price
Im just going to assume you're using aftermarket projector housings GregC. Otherwise you make a great example of the clueless victims to the ebay ads and other Ricer tricks that convince you all you have to do is pull out the old bulbs from the factory housings and put in the new ones. HIDs have a completely different beam pattern and light output style so putting them in your factory housings will reak havoc on other drivers' eyes

OP, good job for doing it the right way. Although I find it unlikely, I know those bulbs share a common ground and I believe the nature of the HID ballasts with their electronic interference and very high voltage can cause the regular incandescent bulbs in the turn signals and park lamps to fail. Thats my best guess

Next step would be testing for voltage at the turn signal bulbs and checking their ground. IF good, replace the bulbs and relocate HID ground to avoid repeat problems

btw ddmtuning ftw

Matt
Unread 10-22-2010, 11:10 AM   #10
akaplaya0234
1999 WJ 

how would i test for the voltage? would i use a simple voltage tester/detector?
Unread 10-22-2010, 11:15 AM   #11
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaplaya0234 View Post
how would i test for the voltage? would i use a simple voltage tester/detector?
Yeah, test lights are frowned upon with modern vehicle electronics but people still use 'em anyways so just probe the bulb sockets for voltage. You're looking for something along the lines of 12v. To test ground, its useful to have a multimeter with continuity testing and you test the (-) socket of the bulbs with a good ground, look around the engine bay, youll find some bare metal thatll work

Matt

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.