Headlight Lens Swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Headlight Lens Swap

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 07-21-2014, 10:16 PM   #1
TCMwonderful
2000 WJ 

Headlight Lens Swap

OK, i searched existing threads and didnt find an answer, but i apologize in advance if this is a repost....

I got my WJ laredo with new limited headlights (chrome inside) installed and the old laredo ones (black inside) which are hazy as hell came with it. As i am painting my grill and cladding black I would like to have the old headlights in for the black insides, but want to use the lenses from the limited ones I have which are mint. Anyone have any clue how to swap the lenses? they do not just pop out, I have tried. My buddy mentioned heating them up, but I dont want to ruin them...

TCMwonderful is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2014, 10:21 PM   #2
CHULOGORDO82
2002 WJ 

Heat it up in the oven ... look up hid conversion

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Unread 07-21-2014, 10:23 PM   #3
Range07
2003 WJ 

yeah, youll pretty much have to heat the housing up in the oven at a low heat to soften the sealant. The lens will pry off then, but youll want to take the sealant with it if at all possible, or youll be buying sealant too to reattach

Have you tried just cleaning up the stock laredo lights? The kits with the drill buffing pad seem to work kinda well, but Ive also heard of success using plain old GoJo and some elbow grease, which is what I intend to try on a spare set of laredo's Ive got, just for kicks really, because I actually prefer the limited housings
Range07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2014, 06:14 PM   #4
tuglife
2004 WJ 

If the lights are stock they're gonna be TOUGH to get open. Heat in the oven (remove all rubber wires etc first). 250deg or so for 10 minutes. If it's too hard heat for longer. Then pry with a flat head screw driver starting in one corner. Work your way around with a second scraper pry bar screw driver etc. One to pry apart and one to move forward along the seam. A heat gun to keep the sealant soft as you go along would be helpful. The stuff hardens up quick.

While your already opening these up you should look into HID retrofit. You'll be doing the hardest part of the job anyway.
image-4140193032.jpg

image-1512680816.jpg

image-1068309454.jpg

image-2097426472.jpg

image-2276911309.jpg

4.7 HO V8, K&N FIPK, Old Man Emu HD Springs, Bilstien 5100, 31" 255/70/17 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2, Black JK Moabs, Overland Rock Sliders, Tow Hooks, Westin Brush Guard, GTP Hood Vents, Mopar iPod Integration Kit
tuglife is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.