Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Headlight Bulb?? Help Needed!

1K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  ChrisHager 
#1 ·
Greetings All!

I have been trying to replace low beam headlight on my MY2000 JGC without success...the existing bulb is the 9006XS, yet I have purchased both the sylvania silverstars and an autozone " basic" 9006XS with the same results...

Basically the tabs line up, but the base of the bulb seems to be too thick, which means it cannot be inserted into the socket deep enough to allow it to twist and lock into place.

Has anyone experienced this before? I'm really not sure what is going on, and am slightly frustrated that something that should be so simple, isn't.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Jared

#3 ·
#8 ·
I must be confused. It was mentioned originally to loosen the torx screws to assist in the bulb install. I posted a thread and later linked images of this process. Yes, the thread contained more than the OP needed but it contained information that would help him with the install. Am I missing something here?

Also, slightly off subject but since it was mentioned earlier in this thread, the 90° bulbs do not need tabs modified to be installed in our WJs. My thread shows that, which again would make my information pertinent to the OP's question.

#9 ·
I must be confused. It was mentioned originally to loosen the torx screws to assist in the bulb install. I posted a thread and later linked images of this process. Yes, the thread contained more than the OP needed but it contained information that would help him with the install. Am I missing something here?

Also, slightly off subject but since it was mentioned earlier in this thread, the 90° bulbs do not need tabs modified to be installed in our WJs. My thread shows that, which again would make my information pertinent to the OP's question.
No your not confused but I did not want to confuse the OP with that photo of the wrong bulb. BTW the tab has to be trimmed on the conversion bulb (9012) or it won't seat flat in the socket. All this is fresh in my mind because I just done the HIRI conversion 3 days ago.

#10 ·
Hi!

OP here, and I want to thank all of you for the info...in a nutshell, I have to loosen the torx screws, install bulb, then re tighten...I bought the Slyvania Silverstars with hopes of more light output...If I want even more, I now know how to do the conversion!

Thanks again!

I hope you all have a great holiday weekend!

Cheers!

#14 ·
I feel like both the low and the high beam upgrade were worth it. They both put out more light that the OEM bulbs I was using. Even playing it for the other side, if they were equal brightness compared to the OEM light output, they're still reasonably or better priced compared to other OEM "super bright" bulbs that are no brighter than your cheapest option. Heck, some of the OEM fit bulb options that claim to be brighter because they're blue colored are simply a standard bulb with a blue filter wrapped around it. That filter reduces light output which negates the whole point.

If I were given a set of the most expensive, top of the line Sylvania bulbs and a set of the HIR bulbs, I'd give away the Sylvania's and install the HIRs every time.

Re-reading what I wrote - I didn't intend for that to seem like a rant. :) OP, I don't mean to discourage! If you're happy with your new bulbs, great! What matters most is that you can see and that you're happy with how well you can see!

#15 ·
I feel like both the low and the high beam upgrade were worth it. They both put out more light that the OEM bulbs I was using.

If I were given a set of the most expensive, top of the line Sylvania bulbs and a set of the HIR bulbs, I'd give away the Sylvania's and install the HIRs every time.
Good point and thanks for the input. Also the silverstars have a short life of only 200 hours, whereas the Philips HIR have a 1000 hour life. I might consider the high beam conversion now.

#16 ·
Hi all,

Original poster back again with another frustration...I finally got around to once again trying to replace the headlight bulbs with the Sylvania Silverstars 9006XS. As outlined above, I loosed the three screws and from there was able to properly insert and seat the bulbs. Directly thereafter I realized that the electrical connector does not fit the new bulb, when looking into the base of the bulb, the connectors are in the right place, but there is a little ridge of plastic (for lack of a better discription) within that base that is supposed to line up with a little plastic groove on the connecter...This ridge and groove combination is not lining up. The autozone basic bulb I also bought has the same configuration...

I hope I explained that adequately...Any words of wisdom out there? do I need to trim that ridge off?

Please let me know, thanks!

#17 ·
You're trying to replace the low beam, correct?

Disclaimer: Yes, the pictures below show two different bulbs. The bulbs on the right in both pictures are 9006XS and 9005XS, respectively.

9006XS is the correct bulb for your low beams, which does have a little ridge inside:

The 9005XS used as the high beams has two ridges inside:

Are you installing your 9006XS in the correct location? Does the old bulb have a ridge?

:tea:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.