Have you replaced your Body Control Module (BCM) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Have you replaced your Body Control Module (BCM)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-15-2011, 06:32 PM   #1
Jeremy302
1999 WJ 

Wj Have you replaced your Body Control Module (BCM)

I'm looking for anyone who as actually replaced their body control module in their WJ. I have '99 Laredo that has several electrical issues going on right now. I plan on hopefully fixing this myself for a whole lot less cash than taking it to the dealer or a repair shop. I did already take it to a repair shop to diagnose what was causing all of my issues so that I wasn't just through money and parts at it.

What issues did you have and did the BCM fix them?

Did you replace the BCM yourself? New or used? How long has it been working properly?

Did you have to take the BCM to a dealership to have any sort of programming done to it?

I haven't found much in terms of solid answers for this topic so hopefully we can clear things up for everyone's benefit.

Thanks in advance,
Jeremy

Jeremy302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2011, 03:32 AM   #2
montrose
2000 WJ 

Wj bcm change

I have electrical issues, jeep dealer said to change the BCM, so i had them do it. only took them a couple of hours, but made no difference at all to the electrical issues. Very easy to change, but might not be worth the expense.
I have a 00 WJ 4.7ltr
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2011, 05:06 AM   #3
HVACNY
2000 WJ 

Make sure your battery is working correctly and the terminals are real clean and tight.That is usually the source of most Jeep electrical issues.Try that first.
HVACNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2011, 01:48 PM   #4
Jeremy302
1999 WJ 

Update: I first went with the cheapest and easiest route, clean and tighten the battery terminals that HVACNY recommended and chaching, this fixed the electrical issues that most recently occurred. Amazing how something so simple caused so many things to go wrong all at once.

Unfortunately this doesn't answer the point of this original thread for cases where you actually do have to replace the BCM but at least this will give you more proof as to what you can do first. Thanks HVACNY for your suggestion.

Just so you can compare my electrical issues for this case to some that you may be having. Less than a week ago I was driving early in the morning while it was still pretty dark and suddenly several things hit the fan all at once. The dash lights went to full brightness (dimmer didn't do anything), the overhead console was nothing but "--" (blank) where the information values were supposed to be, the compass still worked though, the power windows quit working from all doors, the dome lights didn't worked when you opened the doors, the warning chime no longer chimed, the marker/corner lights didn't flash when unlocking or locking the doors with the remote. I think this is all that I noticed.

If anyone else would please share there experience with this to try and help others that would be appreciated.
Jeremy302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2011, 04:49 PM   #5
sirwankel

I was told that on WJ's you just have to make sure the model number is the same. The VIN shouldn't be hard coded into them. I am having issues with all my turn signals constantly flashing. At first they would flash just the left, then the right maybe, all of them. do nothing, it was random, but now it just contant flash. I tried a new MFS and flasher module, but no dice. I just got a BCM in that is suppose to be the same model, but my first short attempt a finding it under the dash didn't go so well. Not sure how good that thing is hidden up there. I'm going to try and change it this weekend.
sirwankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2011, 08:24 AM   #6
gqmdl0617
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy302 View Post
Update: I first went with the cheapest and easiest route, clean and tighten the battery terminals that HVACNY recommended and chaching, this fixed the electrical issues that most recently occurred. Amazing how something so simple caused so many things to go wrong all at once.

Unfortunately this doesn't answer the point of this original thread for cases where you actually do have to replace the BCM but at least this will give you more proof as to what you can do first. Thanks HVACNY for your suggestion.

Just so you can compare my electrical issues for this case to some that you may be having. Less than a week ago I was driving early in the morning while it was still pretty dark and suddenly several things hit the fan all at once. The dash lights went to full brightness (dimmer didn't do anything), the overhead console was nothing but "--" (blank) where the information values were supposed to be, the compass still worked though, the power windows quit working from all doors, the dome lights didn't worked when you opened the doors, the warning chime no longer chimed, the marker/corner lights didn't flash when unlocking or locking the doors with the remote. I think this is all that I noticed.

If anyone else would please share there experience with this to try and help others that would be appreciated.
Did you ever figure out what the issue was with your Jeep? Im having the exact same problems right now.
[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="White"]White 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo: 2" Fat Bobs BDS Springs with Bilstein 5100's, Addco sway bar, Black on Black heated leather, full limited wood grain, RB1, Mopar Ipod kit, 1000w of Kicker bass, 500w of lighting, Gen III projectors/5000K HIDs, Smoked full LED tails, 100w Whelen PA/Electric Air Horn with speaker mounted behind grill, Interior LED upgrade, 120v AC in the front and the back, Midland CB, PR-106 digital trunking scanner, yada yada yada. Just another WJ[/COLOR] [/FONT]
gqmdl0617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2011, 09:11 AM   #7
wsar10
2003 WJ 

FWIW, I just went through alot of BS that REALLY seemed like my BCM, guages lights no start....

And it was my batt terminals, and they are relativley new along with the batt.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...issue-1255654/

do you have a FSM ?

-03 WJ laredo 4.0 120k a few minor mods
-93 XJ 5spd, 3" zone lift
wsar10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.