Has anyone painted their roof racks? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Has anyone painted their roof racks?

Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Zone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-13-2013, 03:37 PM   #1
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

Has anyone painted their roof racks?

I just took my rack off because I want to paint it. I now see that they rails are aluminum, what about the cross bars? I want to know about painting everything. I painted my cowl and front wiper blades with Krylon Fusion paint today and it came out great (even though the wiper arms are not plastic), and hopefully I can paint my cladding tomorrow. Thanks for any help.

99WJ539918 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2013, 03:53 PM   #2
Thomahawk
2004 WJ 

Snobrdkid did this, he painted his black cross bar and roof rails silver like a freedom edition, Looks good
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/jeep-norway-2th-buildt-overland-upgrade-1813490/[/url]

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2013, 04:20 PM   #3
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

I thought about silver, but I'm going to paint my cladding, door handles, hatch handle, roof rack, side view mirrors, and glass hinges and I want them all to match and black would be the only color that would look go throughout the WJ. I need to go to a junkyard and get a couple of things before I finish so hopefully two more weekends and I'll have this done.
Unread 10-13-2013, 04:43 PM   #4
SteelBlue_WJ
Web Wheeler

I painted my bars Graphite wheel paint to match my center section of my grille and 04 lower bumper trim piece I retrofitted on, all which somewhat are supposed to match my hyper silver Moabs. still looks great after 3 years!

2001 Steel Blue WJ Laredo SA 4x4, 3.5" lift, Apperance Package with factory Laredo Steel Blue cladding/leather
Conferr Roof Basket with custom Randy Ellis Design light cage, WAAG grille guard and Hella lots of 500 lights

2004 Wrangler Sport, 2.5" and 31's, nothing special

"For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, 'It might have been.' "
John Greenleaf Whittier
SteelBlue_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2013, 05:04 PM   #5
jpat30

While not my roof rack per se; I painted my Yakima rack using krylon hammerfinish in a dark silver. The texture helps to hide imperfections in the metal really well. I think that it turned out well and I can easily touch it up whenever I need to. The key like any other painting is all in the prep.
-Carpe Diem Phil 1:20
jpat30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2013, 05:27 PM   #6
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

I sanded down the aluminum rails tonight. I'll probably put the first coat on later. What about the cross bars? What prep do I need to do? It doesn't look like sanding them down can be done because of the ends.
Unread 10-13-2013, 05:29 PM   #7
jpat30

I think that I would just scuff them up and then tape off the plastic ends and shoot it. It all depends on how bad your rails are though.
-Carpe Diem Phil 1:20
jpat30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2013, 05:38 PM   #8
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

I'm gong to paint the ends, too. It would look bad if I didn't paint the ends.
Unread 10-13-2013, 06:03 PM   #9
new2site
2002 WJ 

Rustoleum TEXTURED black.... has professional looking "textured" look like your roof rack end caps / mirror housings (Laredo) etc.(also looks great on fairing above back license plate (Laredo again)
rustoleum-textured-blk.jpg  
new2site is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2013, 09:37 PM   #10
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

I used Rustoleum bed liner spray on my brush guard. I don't want the textured look on my roof rack and other exterior plastics. I wanted to know who has painted their cross bars and what prep was needed as sanding the finish off of the cross bars doesn't seem like an option. I'm thinking that I might just do a light sand and scuff of them tomorrow and paint them.
Unread 10-16-2013, 05:12 PM   #11
Schlotzky
2007 XK Commander 

Or polish it!

Schlotzky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.