Has anyone else used the Rusty's advanced 4 1/2" lift kit? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 43 Old 03-25-2012, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Lysdexic
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
any chance the shop you used substituted parts?
He's been a friend for years - not a 4WD shop, general mechanic. Can't imagine where he would have come up with 2 1/2" springs and spacers for a WJ or why he would risk a friendship and long term business for something so minor.

No, I think the previous poster had it right, somebody at Rusty's put it together that way and I didn't notice it at the time. My fault entirely, it just never occurred to me to look for it.

Bottom line, I can live with it for a while - long arms will likely make it much more drivable, I'll worry about the springs another time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 43 Old 03-25-2012, 04:46 PM
duanewhatley
1999 WJ 

What parts does your invoice list?
post #18 of 43 Old 03-25-2012, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Lysdexic
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duanewhatley View Post
What parts does your invoice list?
4.5" Front Coil Springs
4.5" Rear Coil Springs
Drop Pitman Arm
Front Adjustable Track Bar
JKS Quicker Disconnects
Upper Control Arms
Adjustable Front Lower Control Arms
Rear Lower Control Arms
Rear 3-Link Spacer
Extended Rear Sway Bar Links
Front Rusty's Hydro Performance Shocks
Rear Rusty's Hydro Performance Shocks

================================================== ================
Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 RK-405A-WJ WJ Grand Cherokee 4.5" Advanced Kit $1,200.00

Product Total: $1,200.00
Sales Tax: $0.00
Shipping: $182.24
Grand Total: $1,382.24

post #19 of 43 Old 03-26-2012, 03:25 PM
duanewhatley
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysdexic View Post
4.5" Front Coil Springs
4.5" Rear Coil Springs
Drop Pitman Arm
Front Adjustable Track Bar
JKS Quicker Disconnects
Upper Control Arms
Adjustable Front Lower Control Arms
Rear Lower Control Arms
Rear 3-Link Spacer
Extended Rear Sway Bar Links
Front Rusty's Hydro Performance Shocks
Rear Rusty's Hydro Performance Shocks

Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 RK-405A-WJ WJ Grand Cherokee 4.5" Advanced Kit $1,200.00

Product Total: $1,200.00
Sales Tax: $0.00
Shipping: $182.24
Grand Total: $1,382.24

I would call them again, ask to speak to a manager, and explain the situation. Tell them your are interested in an upgrade and ask if they can cut you a deal. Can't hurt to try. My lift was installed by Rusty's and I haven't had any issues.
post #20 of 43 Old 03-26-2012, 03:27 PM
duanewhatley
1999 WJ 

Oh and check your springs. Mine haves Rusty's engraved into the coils, and a part number. I hate to say it but I think the shop ripped you off. Rusty's doesn't even sell red spacers on their bb kits.
post #21 of 43 Old 03-27-2012, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Lysdexic
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Oh and check your springs. Mine haves Rusty's engraved into the coils, and a part number. I hate to say it but I think the shop ripped you off. Rusty's doesn't even sell red spacers on their bb kits.
Here's what's on there

I do not understand. Only way they could have ripped me off is if they happened to have a set of Rusty's springs to swap out.
post #22 of 43 Old 03-27-2012, 07:02 PM
duanewhatley
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Here's what's on there

I do not understand. Only way they could have ripped me off is if they happened to have a set of Rusty's springs to swap out.
ROR 550 is a 4.5" spring. So you should be at 6.5". Maybe the 4.5" shock is limiting the travel and it's holding the spring in a compressed position, thus your measurements arent showing that. I would take the spacers out and then remeasure. If they measure less than 4.5" then you have something to call Rusty's and try to work out a deal. Good luck.
post #23 of 43 Old 03-27-2012, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Lysdexic
2002 WJ 

Boy, that would sure explain the stiff ride!
post #24 of 43 Old 03-27-2012, 07:20 PM
ezflip

2011 JK Wrangler 

Garage
4.5" shocks are not fully extended at 4.5" That would kind of defeat the purpose.

~James
post #25 of 43 Old 03-27-2012, 07:32 PM
duanewhatley
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezflip View Post
4.5" shocks are not fully extended at 4.5" That would kind of defeat the purpose.
So would an extra 2" not affect ride at all? I put a 3" inch lift on my tj and had to wait a few weeks to install my rear shocks, so I was riding around on stock rears, made it ride like crap!
post #26 of 43 Old 03-27-2012, 07:34 PM
ezflip

2011 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
So would an extra 2.5" not affect ride at all? I put a 3" inch lift on my tj and had to wait a few weeks to install my rear shocks, so I was riding around on stock rears, made it ride like crap!
It would, but he doesn't have an extra 2.5" of lift. His lift height was measured at 4.5"

Edit: If thats now the line of thinking, maybe they sent shocks for stock ride height. I mean, we are really grasping at straws here. Who knows what really happened?

~James
post #27 of 43 Old 03-27-2012, 07:37 PM
duanewhatley
1999 WJ 

Yeah I'm thinking either that spring has sagged, Or measurements are off some how.
post #28 of 43 Old 03-27-2012, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Lysdexic
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezflip View Post
It would, but he doesn't have an extra 2.5" of lift. His lift height was measured at 4.5"
Yup - 22.5" from the hub center to the bottom of the fender. I sent that picture to Rusty's with the spring number, I'm hoping they can help clear up this mystery. If that is indeed the part number for a 4.5" lift spring then I am more confused than before, cuz that sure looks like a 2" spacer to me.
post #29 of 43 Old 03-27-2012, 07:40 PM
duanewhatley
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Yup - 22.5" from the hub center to the bottom of the fender. I sent that picture to Rusty's with the spring number, I'm hoping they can help clear up this mystery. If that is indeed the part number for a 4.5" lift spring then I am more confused than before, cuz that sure looks like a 2" spacer to me.
Let us know what they say.
post #30 of 43 Old 03-27-2012, 08:07 PM
SDT03GCOverland
2003 WJ 

Meh... I'm not surprised by Rusty's reaction. I ordered their adjustable lower CA's and at the body mounts they were about 1/2" too narrow. I called and they ASSURED me they sent me the correct parts. I called THREE times and the end result was that I had to tighten the bolts until the mounting tabs bent in to make up the gap. It was their opinion that my lower control arm mounts must not be factory,that someone must have replaced them, LMAO. I hate the way it wanders so after a few months I called and explained that I wanted to upgrade to the long arms for the front end. (I have springs, shocks etc) and they said my only option is a $1400.00 upgrade. I went to their website and it looks like you can buy the lowers ($270), Radius Arms for ($190) and the T-case mount ($369) so all that comes to less than $850. Thank you, Rusty's customer service. Lol. Good luck getting anywhere with them. Just because you're a customer, that doesn't make you special to them.

Also, has anybody noticed the price jump in the rear long arm upper link unit to $490? Rusty's used to be a great small guy company but I think they've gotten too big and greedy. I guess fame will do that.

2003 Grand Cherokee Overland, 4 inch Rough Country Lift, upgraded to Rusty's Front Long Arm, JKS Adjustable Trac-Bar

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.