Has anyone else used the Rusty's advanced 4 1/2" lift kit? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 Old 03-24-2012, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Lysdexic
2002 WJ 

Has anyone else used the Rusty's advanced 4 1/2" lift kit?

So frustrating - I bought one of these in 2009 and had a local shop install it.

I asked the guy at Rusty's if using full length coils instead of the spacers I have would help the ride.

He said they have NEVER sold kits with spacers. So why do I have spacers?

wtf???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 03-24-2012, 03:51 PM
Mp5ben
2005 WK 

Have you measured the actual gain you got from the lift after install? Is it still 4.5"?

05 WK Limited, HEMI 5.7, QD II, OME HD, 255/75/17 Mud terrains
post #3 of 43 Old 03-24-2012, 03:54 PM
ezflip

2011 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Previous owner had a BB on it?

~James

post #4 of 43 Old 03-24-2012, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Lysdexic
2002 WJ 

I'm the original owner
post #5 of 43 Old 03-24-2012, 05:11 PM
SKI_VT
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysdexic View Post
I'm the original owner
Measure out your lift and see if its actually 4.5in
if its 4.5 + the 2 in BB your gonna be at 6.5 in
post #6 of 43 Old 03-24-2012, 05:17 PM
ezflip

2011 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
I'm the original owner
Im stumped then. No company sells pucks with a spring lift kit. Why not just send 2" longer springs? Anyhoo, like the other guy mentioned, measure from center of hub to bottom of fender (assuming you havent trimmed the bottom of your fender) You should have ~22.5" in the front. If you are closer to 25, perhaps the shop who installed it just had some pucks laying around and through them in?

~James
post #7 of 43 Old 03-24-2012, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Lysdexic
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mp5ben View Post
Have you measured the actual gain you got from the lift after install? Is it still 4.5"?
Yes, it measures 22.5" from the center of the hub to the fender. I'm stumped too.
post #8 of 43 Old 03-24-2012, 07:02 PM
ezflip

2011 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Yes, it measures 22.5" from the center of the hub to the fender. I'm stumped too.
Wow hmm. Did you go through the kit at all before it was installed? I mean, theres the slightest possibility they had some lazy kid in the warehouse packing orders. Came across yours and couldn't find the 4.5" springs so he just boxed up 2.5" springs and some pucks to make it 4.5". Lucky him it wasn't someone who was going to install the lift themselves. I would be beyond pissed if I opened up my 4.5" lift and found 2.5" springs and a BB.

~James
post #9 of 43 Old 03-24-2012, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Lysdexic
2002 WJ 

Unfortunately no - I chose the kit because i'd seen an episode of Trucks where they lifted a WJ with a Rusty's kit. I just ordered what I saw on the show, took the boxes to the local guy (who I've used for many things over the years - no chance anything funny went on there).

Having learned much more I'll upgrade to a long arm kit and eventually get the right springs - but it sure won't be from Rusty's. I hate attitude like that.

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.
post #10 of 43 Old 03-25-2012, 12:22 AM
Mp5ben
2005 WK 

Did you tell the person you spoke to at Rustys that you got spacers with the lift kid instead of springs? Maybe just a mistake

05 WK Limited, HEMI 5.7, QD II, OME HD, 255/75/17 Mud terrains
post #11 of 43 Old 03-25-2012, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Lysdexic
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mp5ben View Post
Did you tell the person you spoke to at Rustys that you got spacers with the lift kid instead of springs? Maybe just a mistake
Sent him the picture above along with a copy of the invoice - his response was "No sir, we sell no spacers with our kits" - in other words, I'm deluded and he's right.

Why, if I got the proper springs, would I have gone out and bought a set of shorter springs and spacers?
post #12 of 43 Old 03-25-2012, 08:14 AM
ezflip

2011 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Well, you are talking about something you purchased three years ago. I can see his hesitation in doing anything for you now. They probably would have been happy to help three years ago....

Again, it was probably some newly hired kid in the warehouse who most likely doesn't work there anymore. I really wouldn't put this all on Rustys. Yes it was probably someone at their company that screwed up, but that is impossible to prove three years after the fact.

~James
post #13 of 43 Old 03-25-2012, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Lysdexic
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezflip View Post
Well, you are talking about something you purchased three years ago. I can see his hesitation in doing anything for you now. They probably would have been happy to help three years ago....

Again, it was probably some newly hired kid in the warehouse who most likely doesn't work there anymore. I really wouldn't put this all on Rustys. Yes it was probably someone at their company that screwed up, but that is impossible to prove three years after the fact.
You are right, of course - my fault entirely for not doing the proper research. We live and we learn, if we're lucky.

Thing is, I sent him a copy of the invoice and shipping order, they know I bought it and never returned it. I sent a picture of my jeep with a 2" spacer and a 2 1/2" over coil spring. There's really only one way I would have logically wound up with that setup from them. I don't think it would have killed them to offer to swap the coils and spacers for the correct springs, especially if I were offering to buy the long arm upgrade at the same time. That would seem to simply be good business sense, seeing how many alternatives there are out there.
post #14 of 43 Old 03-25-2012, 10:56 AM
4Tom
2001 WJ 

I do feel sorry for you but if they invoiced you detailing the parts and you or your garage didn't notice kit wasn't as described, it is near on impossible to have it rectified 3 years later.

So you are where you are ! (full stop)

Now how to get to where you want to be.

My advise would be try strike up a conversation
Tell them of your plans to upgrade to long arms and ask very nicely what they can do with discounted prices on springs considering that something when wrong with the pucks been included in your previous kit. Be nice but haggle on price for best deal. you are giving them something to work with if it talks stall just end on what ever discount they offer as promising but you really would need a slightly better deal to make it work. Always tell them you have brand loyalty to them so it's a deal with them or your stuck.

In the mean time 2.5" springs and pucks have some value that you can sell off and offset the cost of new 4.5" springs. So this is your backup

WJ 2001 3.1TD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tom
post #15 of 43 Old 03-25-2012, 12:16 PM
Linus
2004 WJ 

any chance the shop you used substituted parts?

04 WJ - 4.0L and Selec-Trac
BDS 2", 3/4" spacers, Bilstein 5100, and 31" General Grabber AT2's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.