Hard to start on incline - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Hard to start on incline

Up to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer PurchaseFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 10-16-2013, 10:27 PM   #1
Shamous
2000 WJ 

Hard to start on incline

Have a 00 WJ 4.7 recently it has been hard to start when it is parked nose first in the driveway which has a incline to it. When I park it in the street which is down hill no problems starts right up. No issues when driving no funky idling, surging runs great. Only other things that I did noticed is when trying to start when in the driveway is that it does start after about 4-5 cranks sometimes it spits and sputters then the idle does rev up to about 1500 then drops down. When you try and step on the pedal to rev it up when it starts to spit and sputter it wont rev up. I replaced the fuel pump on it last year when I bought (mice chewed on the wiring to the pump). Cleaned the throttle body, plugs (looked like they were never change worn flat). All of the maintenance required because the previous owner must not have know what that was.

I no longer have a fuel pressure tester to check to see in the pump i put in is working properly but it seems like it is no other driveability issues otherwise. I was thinking possible fuel pressure regulator?

Any input would be appreciated.

besides just don't park in the driveway

[COLOR="Blue"]Colorado Jeep Club #1957[/COLOR]
Shamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 10:35 PM   #2
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

Sounds like it's probably losing fuel pressure sitting on the incline. It's probably not the pressure regulator, but the anti-drainback valve built into the fuel pump, which is usually the first part of it to fail, especially on aftermarket pumps.

Since that valve typically fails long before the mechanical parts of the pump, the simple live with it solution is when you start the Jeep, turn the key to the on position for 2-3 seconds to allow the pump to prime the fuel pressure, then turn the key over to start. Should fire right up.
2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Check out my build thread here: Life lessons and budget build
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 11:01 PM   #3
Shamous
2000 WJ 

Thanks for the input, guess I need to decide if I should live with it for now or try and warranty out the pump assembly.
[COLOR="Blue"]Colorado Jeep Club #1957[/COLOR]
Shamous is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.