Hard/rough shifting - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Hard/rough shifting

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 11-09-2012, 11:00 AM   #1
Jaspah
2002 WJ 

Hard/rough shifting

Hi guys, been lurking for just over a month now, but this is my first time actually posting here.

I bought a 2002 Grand Cherokee Laredo, 4.0, with 138,000 miles on it. It's in pretty good shape, especially for being in the Syracuse, NY area (salt city). It drives fine-- no slipping or anything like that, however, while driving (around 2000 RPM) if I put my foot to the floor it will shift hard like a jerking motion. None of the other gears shift no where near as hard as that one does. Otherwise, everything else about the Jeep has been great so far. We checked the transmission fluid (following instructions in the handbook) and it was at the correct level.

I don't normally "floor" it, but occasionally on hilly roads the cruise control will throw it into that gear anyway, and you can really feel it on hills.

There is also a very slight vibration while idling and in first gear, but nothing serious.

Is this the precursor to a more serious problem with my transmission?

Thanks guys.

Jaspah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2012, 11:41 AM   #2
K10roc

if you crank sensor is failing it can give hard shifts... you getting any check engine light? any codes? when did you last change the fluid
2000 Jeep grand WJ limited, 245/75/16, Thrust 2 chamber muffler, 2in bb, rough country shocks, slotted and drilled rotors, Torqflo trans cooler, powder coated calipers, custom made CAI, K&N cone filter, ported and polished throttle body, Chip, Torqflo trans cooler, 6000k HID, PIAA fog, lots of powder coating and blacked out parts
K10roc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2012, 12:14 PM   #3
Jaspah
2002 WJ 

Ah, I forgot to post that I did not get any codes. The check engine light is not on, and the nothing is reported on the key ignition trick.

I'm not sure when the transmission fluid was last totally replaced. I remember reading in another post that completely changing to new transmission fluid with higher mileages can do more harm than good. Like I said, it read normally when we checked it.

Should I have it changed just to know when it was last done? Are there really any serious cons to that?
Unread 11-09-2012, 01:43 PM   #4
mKosel
1999 WJ 

well...i was gonna say it could be a transmition module/sensor but sense your check engine isnt on, i would say it could possablly be your U-Joints. U-Joints can were out, and when they do, it makes for god awful gear changes... This same thing happend to me. when you find out for sure, be sure to let us know what it was!

Good Luck
Unread 12-16-2012, 02:02 AM   #5
SkinnyBam
2004 WJ 

Did you ever figure this out? I have a similar problem when accelerating hard, usually while going uphill on the highway. It makes a jerk and sometimes the rpms will shoot up, forcing me to let off the gas to let it shift. If I accelerate gradually I dont have the problem.

I have a little over 100k on mine as well.
SkinnyBam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2012, 11:26 AM   #6
MuddyWJ
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyBam View Post
Did you ever figure this out? I have a similar problem when accelerating hard, usually while going uphill on the highway. It makes a jerk and sometimes the rpms will shoot up, forcing me to let off the gas to let it shift. If I accelerate gradually I dont have the problem.

I have the same issues. Just ordered new joints from rock auto. I'll post results once I get them in.
MuddyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2012, 12:38 PM   #7
Jaspah
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyBam View Post

Not yet. I've been at school so I haven't had much time to look into it. I just got home a few days ago and I'm going to see if I can get someone to take a look at it.
Unread 12-16-2012, 04:08 PM   #8
SkinnyBam
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyWJ View Post
I have the same issues. Just ordered new joints from rock auto. I'll post results once I get them in.
Sounds good thanks!
SkinnyBam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2013, 09:57 PM   #9
MuddyWJ
2004 WJ 

I'll be putting the new ujoints in next week. Hopefully it alleviates the issue. I'll post when done.
Unread 01-19-2013, 12:08 AM   #10
Gunrunner23
2004 WJ 

Transmission speed sensors can cause crap shifting and not throw a code. Bad shifting can be from worn motor mounts, to drive shaft, to joints, etc.

First thing you should do when buying any used car is changing all fluids. Who knows when they were last changed. The dealer can say they did it, but who really knows.

Sent from my Motorola Photon using JeepForum
Gunrunner23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2013, 06:05 PM   #11
MuddyWJ
2004 WJ 

I just drained half a quart of trans fluid and it shifts like butter now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.