Hard ride on the road. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Hard ride on the road.

LJ Suspension Systems from Clayton Off RoadEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 04-19-2014, 01:35 AM   #1
Globetrotter
2003 WJ 

Question Hard ride on the road.

Hello, guys.

My 2004 GC overland rides very hard on the road. It finds every bump and pot hole (of which there are plenty over here) and gleefully leaps into them with a force that nearly throws me out of the seat. If I ran over a pound (or dollar) coin I could tell if it was head or tails.

As far as I know the suspension is standard. Is this normal behaviour for this vehicle? I had a Mitsubishi Shogun which rode much better than this.

Would softer shocks improve it? Are they available? Other answer?

HELP!

Unread 04-19-2014, 05:30 AM   #2
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

New shocks might help. How old are your current ones, maybe they are worn out. Another thing that makes for a hard ride is the tyres if they have too many plys in them. I ran some Continental tyres once that felt the same way. If I remember right they were 6 ply. I got rid of them before they wore out. What PSI are you running in your tyres? If you are over 35 PSI it could be part of your problem.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time to do it over.

Lifetime member #13

www.militaryjeepers.com lifetime member/airforce26yrs

2011 Tango/Mango JKU
michiganmaveric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2014, 05:43 AM   #3
losttech

2000 WJ 

They really are a soft ride more car like then truck like so I would second that if you haven't done new shocks start there.
And check your tires like he said I am running just plain old car tires P-rated and they give me a nice smooth highway ride I don't wheel much other then snow or just dirt roads.
losttech is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2014, 05:44 AM   #4
Globetrotter
2003 WJ 

Thanks for that, michiganmaveric. I guess the shocks are as old as the car, but my experience of worn shocks is a soggy ride until they hit the bump stops and that does not seem to be happening. I think you might have hit the nail on the head with the tyres, They are Korean ones with 2 ply sidewalls and 5 ply tread, a mixture of nylon steel and rayon. I run them at 30 PSI as the book says. I might try dropping to 25 to see what happens.
Unread 04-19-2014, 06:44 AM   #5
Globetrotter
2003 WJ 

Thanks, Losttech.

I guess I should splash out on new tyres. Like you I only do asphalt, snow and dirt roads so I guess mid price range car style tyres would be OK. As a matter of interest what do you pay for tyres over there? here we pay from $160 for budget tyres to $290 for top range tyres.
Unread 04-19-2014, 06:46 AM   #6
Globetrotter
2003 WJ 

I should have said for 235/65-H17
Unread 04-19-2014, 07:08 AM   #7
losttech

2000 WJ 

I got 245/65/17 Goodyear trailmarks for $140 I think it was not a bad for year round M+S type tire with a 55k warranty there listed as light truck tires but P-rated.
I know there is better but where I live walmart is the only place that really does tires for a decent price and they acutally do a good job put antiseize on seemed torque right but I have since removed and torqued again fixing stuff on the WJ.
Lots of people seem to like coopers here I am sure someone else will chime in with a good tire.

I would say if you are keeping it stock then just get stock size shocks but if you are thinking of lifting it wait and buy the kit with shocks no reason to spend money on shocks that you are just going to have to replace if you lift it.
losttech is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2014, 07:50 AM   #8
Globetrotter
2003 WJ 

Thanks for those tyre tips, losttech. Stock does me fine.
Unread 04-19-2014, 08:49 AM   #9
Frambo
2004 WJ 

If getting new tires I had Goodyear Wrangler HP All Weathers on my old WJ and General Grabber ATs on this one.

Both excellent tires, the HPs a little more on road orientated than the Grabbers though I've still taken them off road. The grabbers are a bit noisier but that's about it, they still ride very well on road and are in a different league off road.

I'd say under 100 for the goodyear Wranglers but that was for 16" not 17" as on yours.
Frambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2014, 09:04 AM   #10
Globetrotter
2003 WJ 

Thanks, Frambo. It's all very confusing but it looks like Coopers or Wranglers here in uk for mostly road use.
Unread 04-19-2014, 05:12 PM   #11
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

I am running the Cooper Discoverer ATP's on my JKU and like them. Also I do not think going to 25PSI is a good idea. It will decrease your gas mileage and increase tyre wear. Get the new shocks though.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time to do it over.

Lifetime member #13

www.militaryjeepers.com lifetime member/airforce26yrs

2011 Tango/Mango JKU
michiganmaveric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2014, 01:05 AM   #12
Globetrotter
2003 WJ 

Thanks, michiganmaveric, I'll ditch the 25 PSI idea.

If I change the rear shocks can anybody advise what make to get for street use? Anyone heard of Monroe SensaTrac shocks?
Unread 04-22-2014, 06:25 AM   #13
reneveah
2003 WJ 

I got a set of four of bilstiens from Kolak who is on this forum for my stock overland and a moog steering dampener, these are a bit more pricey but easy to swap yourself and the ride... I swear better than new, cuz I got this overland with only 29k on it when it was a year old and I don't ever remember it feeling this good on the road. New tires did will too. General Graber HTS *not a hard core off road guy with my overland* vey happy although the grabers they bump hard on the road bumps but you could coast though a library with those tires lol in other words, they are quiet
Unread 04-24-2014, 03:24 AM   #14
Globetrotter
2003 WJ 

Thanks reneveah. I've checked Bilstiens and they sure are a bit pricey, might be worth it though. I'll give the grabbers a miss, if they bump hard, that's one of the things I'm trying to avoid.
Unread 04-24-2014, 04:26 AM   #15
MadderThanMax

Contact this chappie for all your WJ/JEEP needs, his name is Greg McAllen and he's really good, I use him a lot...

http://www.4playjeep.com/index.php?_a=viewDoc&docId=2
MadderThanMax is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.