post #1 of Old 03-09-2013, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
Mike2909
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Handling Problems

A question for the knowledgeable ... Firstly a little background.

I have owned my WG (WJ with 2.7CRD) for approx 5 months.
My wife uses it for her commute most days and she is a steady driver and the road she goes to work on is almost all single carriageway.
A couple of time when I have driven it I found the road-holding a little suspect.It seemed flighty and a couple of times I thought the back end was twitchy.

This week for the first time she said she felt as if the back end was loose on the road and it felt unsafe.It was on a bend she travels daily.She told me she had felt it before but thought she was imagining it.
Weather conditions are wet but with temperature above freezing so I can not believe it is ice and it has happened a few times now so it can not be coincidence.
I have Cooper Discoverer M+S tyres on all 4 wheels. Front tread is about 6mm
and rear tread 3-4mm. I check the tyre pressures weekly and they are always kept correct.
Could this be simply down to the tyres??
On my ZJ I have BF Goodrich A/T and never have I felt road handling anything like as twitchy compared to the WG.

post #2 of Old 03-09-2013, 04:40 AM
pdpunome
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2909 View Post
A question for the knowledgeable ... Firstly a little background.

I have owned my WG (WJ with 2.7CRD) for approx 5 months. I do not drive it very often as I have a company vehicle.
My wife uses it for her commute most days and she is a steady driver and the road she goes to work on is almost all single carriageway.
A couple of time when I have driven it I found the road-holding a little suspect.It seemed flighty and a couple of times I thought the back end was twitchy.
My wife did a trip to London and back and said the Jeep was brilliant.
This week for the first time she said she felt as if the back end was loose on the road and it felt unsafe.It was on a bend she travels daily.She told me she had felt it before but thought she was imagining it.
Weather conditions are wet but with temperature above freezing so I can not believe it is ice and it has happened a few times now so it can not be coincidence.
I have Cooper Discoverer M+S tyres on all 4 wheels. Front tread is about 6mm
and rear tread 3-4mm. I check the tyre pressures weekly and they are always kept correct.
Could this be simply down to the tyres??
On my ZJ I have BF Goodrich A/T and never have I felt road handling anything like as twitchy compared to the WG.
Sway bar and control arms most likely worn. Try using an addco 1" bar and it will stiffen the ride 100 fold.

2000 4.0 Selec Trac
post #3 of Old 03-09-2013, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Mike2909
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I had a look underneath and the rear sway bar links are worn out.Lots of play in them.The sway bar bushes seem ok. I need to inspect further to see if the control arm bushes are worn out.