Handling Problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Handling Problems

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-09-2013, 03:40 AM   #1
Mike2909
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Handling Problems

A question for the knowledgeable ... Firstly a little background.

I have owned my WG (WJ with 2.7CRD) for approx 5 months.
My wife uses it for her commute most days and she is a steady driver and the road she goes to work on is almost all single carriageway.
A couple of time when I have driven it I found the road-holding a little suspect.It seemed flighty and a couple of times I thought the back end was twitchy.

This week for the first time she said she felt as if the back end was loose on the road and it felt unsafe.It was on a bend she travels daily.She told me she had felt it before but thought she was imagining it.
Weather conditions are wet but with temperature above freezing so I can not believe it is ice and it has happened a few times now so it can not be coincidence.
I have Cooper Discoverer M+S tyres on all 4 wheels. Front tread is about 6mm
and rear tread 3-4mm. I check the tyre pressures weekly and they are always kept correct.
Could this be simply down to the tyres??
On my ZJ I have BF Goodrich A/T and never have I felt road handling anything like as twitchy compared to the WG.

Mike2909 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2013, 05:40 AM   #2
pdpunome
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2909 View Post
A question for the knowledgeable ... Firstly a little background.

I have owned my WG (WJ with 2.7CRD) for approx 5 months. I do not drive it very often as I have a company vehicle.
My wife uses it for her commute most days and she is a steady driver and the road she goes to work on is almost all single carriageway.
A couple of time when I have driven it I found the road-holding a little suspect.It seemed flighty and a couple of times I thought the back end was twitchy.
My wife did a trip to London and back and said the Jeep was brilliant.
This week for the first time she said she felt as if the back end was loose on the road and it felt unsafe.It was on a bend she travels daily.She told me she had felt it before but thought she was imagining it.
Weather conditions are wet but with temperature above freezing so I can not believe it is ice and it has happened a few times now so it can not be coincidence.
I have Cooper Discoverer M+S tyres on all 4 wheels. Front tread is about 6mm
and rear tread 3-4mm. I check the tyre pressures weekly and they are always kept correct.
Could this be simply down to the tyres??
On my ZJ I have BF Goodrich A/T and never have I felt road handling anything like as twitchy compared to the WG.
Sway bar and control arms most likely worn. Try using an addco 1" bar and it will stiffen the ride 100 fold.
Unread 03-09-2013, 11:20 AM   #3
Mike2909
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I had a look underneath and the rear sway bar links are worn out.Lots of play in them.The sway bar bushes seem ok. I need to inspect further to see if the control arm bushes are worn out.
Mike2909 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.