Hacking your PCI Data Bus - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Hacking your PCI Data Bus

Black Friday Sale!!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-19-2013, 03:21 AM   #1
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Hacking your PCI Data Bus

Looking for something entirely different, came across this. Kind of interesting so thought I'd share.

http://theksmith.com/technology/hack...p-easy-part-1/

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 11:54 AM   #2
lazyWJ
2002 WJ 

This is way over my head, but very cool.
"Bought, Not Built"
lazyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 12:06 PM   #3
Terminal
2000 WJ 

Thanks for the post, I like this kind of stuff.
Terminal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 12:10 PM   #4
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I'm reading into it now. Looks cool!
Hers: 2000 TJ
Hers: 2010 Jetta

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 02:53 PM   #5
fastrr
2004 WJ 

If someone can get my factory key fob to be used at remote start, that would be great. I am not sure I have enough time to learn what all can be done by this.
fastrr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 06:46 PM   #6
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

I understand some of it, but it looks like it can open up a lot of possibilities.

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 09:21 PM   #7
wheelhead

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Wow that's to far over my head.
Its a work in progress
wheelhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 08:39 AM   #8
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I read through it quickly yesterday but need to take a second glance at it. I have a little bit of a handle on this thanks to my background - computer programmer by day, college instructor by night (teaching computer use and hardware). I also happen to have everything I need to try it out. If I get a little time this weekend, which could be a little difficult with the new baby and all, I'll look into it.

Being that website is theksmith.com, I assume that's the same 'theksmith' here on JeepForum. He has an amazing build for those interested: My build - Expedition Rig - 2003 WJ 4.7 HO. He's also an Administrator over on OffroadPassport. His build thread there is TheKSmith's 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ Limited 4.7 H.O. - The Do-It-All Rig, which I imagine is quite similar to the one here. He has a lot of cool ideas in his build, many of which are unique compared to the common upgrades people do. With that said, I imagine if you ask nicely, he will probably be glad to chime in!
Hers: 2000 TJ
Hers: 2010 Jetta

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 09:33 AM   #9
theksmith
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager View Post
I read through it quickly yesterday but need to take a second glance at it. I have a little bit of a handle on this thanks to my background - computer programmer by day, college instructor by night (teaching computer use and hardware). I also happen to have everything I need to try it out. If I get a little time this weekend, which could be a little difficult with the new baby and all, I'll look into it.

Being that website is theksmith.com, I assume that's the same 'theksmith' here on JeepForum. He has an amazing build for those interested: My build - Expedition Rig - 2003 WJ 4.7 HO. He's also an Administrator over on OffroadPassport. His build thread there is TheKSmith's 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ Limited 4.7 H.O. - The Do-It-All Rig, which I imagine is quite similar to the one here. He has a lot of cool ideas in his build, many of which are unique compared to the common upgrades people do. With that said, I imagine if you ask nicely, he will probably be glad to chime in!
that is indeed me - thanks for letting me know about this thread, and for the kind words about my build!

if anyone is messing around with the PCI bus, feel free to ask questions here and i'll respond if i can help. i honestly didn't get far with reverse-engineering the wealth of proprietary Chrylser bus msgs... once i had what i needed for my tablet install i moved on to other projects. i did observe the msgs to unlock one or all doors, roll down windows, etc - so there are lots of possibilites.

the whole impetus for the articles was my project to have my Android tablet as a complete head-unit replacement, which has it's own build thread on mp3car: http://www.mp3car.com/worklogs/15515...rokee-4x4.html

pretty geeky **** for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastrr View Post
If someone can get my factory key fob to be used at remote start, that would be great. I am not sure I have enough time to learn what all can be done by this.
within the realm of possibility, but a lot would need to still be figured out to make it work.

the companies that make aftermarket remote-start systems have already spent the time to figure how to interface with the system, so probably attaching one of those and then observing what exactly it does would be the quickest way to determine the exact msgs that need to be sent to start the Jeep safely and bypass the SKIM module, etc. of course if you bought an aftermarket unit then you wouldn't need to develop your own, so catch-22.

several car makers, including even Ford are now actually pushing more open standards for interfacing with vehicles. Chrysler unfortunately is not one of them and instead are notoriously tight-lipped about that sort of proprietary info
theksmith is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 05:14 PM   #10
fastrr
2004 WJ 

I loved the Audi that I used to have. You could roll up the windows or roll them down with the key fob. Also you could do the same with the key in the drivers door, holding one way rolled the windows down and the other rolled them up. The whole passenger mirror rotating down when in reverse that made parallel parking easier.

Do you think all of this is a possibility with the hacking?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.